Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the old days what itv variation could you pick up and where in ireland?

• 27-05-2009 6:24pm

just wondering as to what itv franchise you could pick up your locality in the republic of ireland from your tv aerial (assuming UHF???). we used get utv (prob most households could) here in south tipperary but a guy i work with said they used get HTV in artane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

just wondering as to what itv franchise you could pick up your locality in the republic of ireland from your tv aerial (assuming UHF???). we used get utv (prob most households could) here in south tipperary but a guy i work with said they used get HTV in artane.

For most of Dublin, and certainly Wicklow, HTV was always the better signal, and most Aerial would have pointed that way, parts of the southside on higher ground might be able to get UTV with effort.

When Cable TV first cable to Dublin (with 4 whole stations) they used UTV, but in spring/Autumn had to switch to Wales, cause the signal went...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Surely HTV had the disadvantage (for most people) of some programmes being in Welsh (in the days before S4C)

Ive heard that Scottish TV could be got in parts of Inishowen/North Donegal

Parts of Northern Ireland could recieve either Scottish or Border

Parts of the South and SE coast could get TV from Cornwall (although in most cases Wales came in Better)

And (only guessing on this last point) but surely parts of Co Louth and North Co Dublin would have been able to get Border (or maybe Granada) although UTV would have been stronger in virtually all cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

HTV in Cork from Southcoast and Wales transmitters along with S4C

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

TheDriver wrote: »
    HTV in Cork from Southcoast and Wales transmitters along with S4C
    and on cable from Cork Multichannel(former name for Chorus) before switching to Utv/ Channel 4 around 1992?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

In Dungarvan in the 1970s (before we got Cable TV), my brother in law used to get Westward but reception was very patchy & only in good weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Remember having UTV on the aeral in Tallaght which was clear from 80's to 1996 before getting in August 1996 Cablelink (now UPC Ireland)

BBC 1 and 2 wasn't great in the winter but clear when the weather was nice (like the weather currently in Dublin at the minute)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Surely HTV had the disadvantage (for most people) of some programmes being in Welsh (in the days before S4C)

But it had the advantage of your favourite kids TV programmes not being interrupted by messages telling key-holders to return to their premises.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

But it had the advantage of your favourite kids TV programmes not being interrupted by messages telling key-holders to return to their premises.

Ah, having that gave you a nice bump in to the horrors of reality, just what a growing kid needs :D

• I remember receiving UTV from way back in the early 70s here in Sligo,have fond memories of all the family watching Bless This House (Sid James)together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

HTV in Wexford. HTV West could also be picked up.

S4C come November 1982.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Received Border TV from Bangor Co. Down in late 1980's. Also know that STV was picked up along Co. Antrim coast. When I was at school in Larne (1970's) a classmate who lived in Carnlough kept talking about 'Sportscene' and 'Scotsport'. There was no local TV relay for Carnlough then and because of the terrain many of the people who lived there could only receive TV from across the Irish Sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Where I lived from the day we got cable tv from Cablelink ( or whatever it was called in those days ) until Nov 3 1982 we had UTV and HTV .

We had HTV again for a week during a strike in UTV in 1987?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

In 1973, when we first got cable in Leixlip, there were two choices of ITV - HTV Wales on 405 and UTV on 625. In practice, most televisions that I knew of were either old clunkers like our one at the time or newer colour sets.

Band III was terrain wise very poor for signals from Black Mountain Channel 9 coming as far south as North Kildare, however there was a relatively clear path for the HTV 405 signal. Likewise, Band I Divis for BBC1 405 could be picked up over a very large area. I would be fascinated to see a simulated coverage map for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

MarkK wrote: »
    In Dungarvan in the 1970s (before we got Cable TV), my brother in law used to get Westward but reception was very patchy & only in good weather.

Same as Waterford City then. My Dad had a Jaybeam Quad-yagi which gave reasonable results in the summer, before we had cable. Then HTV with Cablevision in 1977.

Advertisement