Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Simple ways to improve your voice while singing + tips on playing guitar and singin

• 16-04-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I play acoustic guitar. I was hoping to try a bit of singing soon. At least try it. Some tips on starting out singing and singing and playing guitar at the same time would be really helpful please..

I don't think my voice sounds good when recorded but maybe some tips off of people with experience will help.

Any help/tips would be hugely appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hi Hort,

I've been playing guitar and singing for maybe 7 or 8 years, and only recently have I actually dragged myself out of the bedroom and started playing in public.

Don't think I can give anything too specific, but firstly, your voice is a muscle. It gets stronger the more you use it. When I first started out I could barely be heard, now I can sign in a crowded venue and a be heard by all.

Something that worked for me when I was starting out is that I rarely try and sign a song in the same key as the original. Ultimate guitar is great for transposing down the chords for a song so you can keep lowering it until it reaches a height suitable for you. That would probably be my main tip.

Recording yourself and playing it back is good for finding out parts where you maybe went off key, or so on. If you are a bit unsure about your voice, I find the best time to practice is when the house is empty and you can just belt it out without any worry. I still do this when I'm working on a new song tbh.

I'm kind of rambling here without much structure to my response, so apologies for that :o

Anyway, like everything, you get better with practice. Best of luck!

Advertisement