Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bone in beef mince

• 14-11-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have an issue that I want to talk about here. My wife bought two packets of beef mince from Lidl and made pasta with them. I found that there were some bone chips in the mince. The bone chips nearly cracked my teeth when chewing on them. I just wonder why they used bones to make beef mince? Is there anything I can do to them?

Regards

s982102

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I would change where I bought my meat then. Does your wife buy the steak mince or was it ordinary mince? Ordinary mince can and does have bone ground into it with other unmentionable bits and pieces, and not all the bone can be removed, as the meat is mechanically recovered. I would always buy steak mince from a decent butcher.

Nothing you can feasibly do I'm afraid. How can you prove the bone you nearly ate came from their mince?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have seen labels on mince say may contain bones before.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Thanks for the reply, guys. Just I am a student with limited budget. So I can't afford to buy the steak mince.... The two packets are all cooked so there is no way I can bring them back... Guess I should be careful when having diner with mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

send a complaint to lidl. I worked in this industry and we always reacted to complaints. Generally it might state in on the label, but to be honest, their QC team should be able to spot this before leaving factory. This is a complaint we never had, but we supplied other retailers not Lidl. it shouldnt be in mince, regardless of vl content of it. Follow up with them might be worth it.

Goldenlady wrote: »
    send a complaint to lidl. I worked in this industry and we always reacted to complaints. Generally it might state in on the label, but to be honest, their QC team should be able to spot this before leaving factory. This is a complaint we never had, but we supplied other retailers not Lidl. it shouldnt be in mince, regardless of vl content of it. Follow up with them might be worth it.
    Thanks for the reply. I will give it a go. And will come back here if there are any results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Goldenlady wrote: »
    Generally it might state in on the label, but to be honest, their QC team should be able to spot this before leaving factory. This is a complaint we never had
    But it might not have been complained about since people who found it just accepted it. If the QC team was to spot 100% of it the price would increase accordingly, just like some "guaranteed free from" products cost a fortune, like grains.

Foreign objects in food are not uncommon, there are numerous threads about it. When the object is not "too foreign" I would expect less complaints.
    I can't afford to buy the steak mince
    It might still be there. It is probably processed in the same factory and I expect slivers of bones are everywhere.

Tesco most expensive "finest mince"
    Warnings: although every care has been taken to remove bones, some may remain

But I have found hard things more in their value mince, dunno if they were bones, but were not normal meat tissue, more like cartilage type stuff.

Supermarket mince tends to be uncompressed strands of meat so at least you can visually inspect it to some degree.

We usually don'b buy mince from Lidl as it is far from where I live. It seems like the value mince in Dunnes has better quality than the one in Lidl or Tesco.About Aldi, I am not sure now as I forgot what it is like...

Advertisement