Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pink 'Ladies' GAA Jerseys-Why?

• 22-07-2012 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

So I've been to a good few GAA matches this year supporting my native Limerick. There seems to be this new phenomenon of women wearing pink country jerseys. There was a whole load of them at the Leinster Final today, and at the Kildare/Limerick game last night I saw lot's of young kids (all girls) wearing them.
    Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.oneills.com/gift-ideas/pink-jerseys.html

Why on earth would you wear a pink jersey to a GAA match?Surely the whole point of wearingn a county jersey is to wear your county colours?

So, would you or do you wear a pink county jersey?And if so, why?

Would you wear a Pink County Jersey? 33 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 33 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oh hell no. Rocked the blue with pride at Croke Park today. :)

Saw quite a few of the pink jerseys around, a bit cringeworthy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

I'm gonna stick to my normal jersey. They look crap. I'm of the same opinion as you, stick to your county colours.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

It's a gimmick, if a portion went to the Marie Keaton foundation I could see the point, We can really put the blame on Mick Wallace since he started the trend with Wexford boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

awec wrote: »
    The pink KK one is nicer than the real KK one :P

The green and white Limerick colours have to be the most unflattering colours ever on my pale Irish skin. But I go to a match to support my county, not to look good for the boys. I presume this is why some people are wearing pink jerseys, so they can look good? No other reason I can think of.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    But I go to a match to support my county, not to look good for the boys.

Do you really believe that anyone wearing these jerseys are doing it "to look good for the boys"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Don't they still have the badge and design on them tho? Aren't those that chose to wear a pink variation of their county top still clearly supporting their county team?

I'm not sure I'd view it as any different to choosing to wear the away strip for a particular soccer season/contest. As long as it has a team/county badge on it I'd view it as belonging to a supporter of a specific team/county...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Just a bit of fun really isn't it.. no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Do you really believe that anyone wearing these jerseys are doing it "to look good for the boys"?

Well I just can't think why else you would wear a pink jersey to a GAA match, and not your county colours or just your normal clothes? Surely you are choosing to wear the pink jersey beacuse you think that colour is more flattering? It would be cool to hear from the women who do wear these tops.

It's not the same as wearing an away top, because these are labelled as ladies supporters tops. It's pinkification and gender sterotyping at it's worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I don't like pink and will continue to wear my blue jersey but I wouldn't knock anyone for wanting to wear them. The Dublin jersey is one of the nicer ones but there's really some hideous colour combinations out there...although I do know going to watch a match is not going out on a Saturday night. As long as people are supporting the game I don't care what they wear. Perhaps it'll spark more interest in the sport and appeal to more women? That can only be a good thing. Love seeing people support GAA.

• Advertisement

Well I just can't think why else you would wear a pink jersey to a GAA match, and not your county colours or just your normal clothes? Surely you are choosing to wear the pink jersey beacuse you think that colour is more flattering? It would be cool to hear from the women who do wear these tops.

Maybe they just like the colour?
    Why is it that women are always assumed to be wearing particular things solely for men? Women have their own minds and I can't see the issue with them choosing a pink jersey over a pink top without a crest, but yet you imply that wearing your own clothes is ok :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I never wear a jersey going to a GAA match, but if I did it would be in the county colours, not pink!
    I am not a fan of pink at all. The Irish soccer supporters are called the 'green army', not the pink army. I do not think girls are wearing them 'for the boys' but I fail to see the point of a pink jersey- unless it is for charity, like breast cancer awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I've seen the Limerick ones in stores and thought they were only a training top brought out in aid of a charity or something. I didn't realize that they were done for all counties.

They brought them out for the Rep.Ireland soccer team as well for Breast Awareness and raise money for that charity and I've actually seen two teenage boys wearing them from what I recall. They might not be to everyone's taste but hey Nike have just decided that Arsenal's new away kit should be purple and black - hardly the colours associated with the club, probably all just a money making gimmick but if the GAA ones are for charity, more health to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

gender sterotyping at it's worse.
    Ah now... It would IMO be towards the bottom of the list when it comes to gender stereotyping concerns.

Could you add a "Don't mind" type option to the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I like looking at GAA jerseys and being able to tell instantly what county the person is from/supporting. It's really hard to tell with these. I'm not violently opposed to them or anything, just prefer county colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

It's not the same as wearing an away top, because these are labelled as ladies supporters tops. It's pinkification and gender sterotyping at it's worse.

Are girls not allowed to like pink now in case people stereotype them?

When I read the opening post I had a feeling you were poking at the gender equality issue without actually coming out and saying it, but you've made it clearer in that post. I think you're taking it to a whole new level here.

What next? Criticism of parents who paint their daughters room pink?

If someone wants to wear a pink jersey, so what. If women disagreed with it they wouldn't buy them and they'd soon stop selling them. Clearly plenty of women have no issue at all with them - and I doubt they are doing it "for the lads".
    Honestly it's you are doing the gender stereotyping...can you see the GAA bringing out a blue jersey for cork with the county crest? Or any county? Most supporters male and female wear county colors without worrying about gender stereotyping. Honestly! Can the OP not ask a question without getting hopped on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Whole point of jerseys is to differentiate one team from another...I don't understand why someone would wear a jersey in a colour that isn't their team's, especially when someone from the opposing team could be in a jersey of the same colour. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Whole point of jerseys is to differentiate one team from another...I don't understand why someone would wear a jersey in a colour that isn't their team's, especially when someone from the opposing team could be in a jersey of the same colour. :confused:

Isn't that only really relevant for the players on the pitch tho? If it still has the design and badge/logo is it not still clear close up who is being supported?

There's clearly a market, do the teams get a cut of the profits?

• Advertisement

So what are you saying here?

All the women who bought them were wrong to do so and are nothing more than sheep incapable of thinking for themselves? :confused:

Who cares if they bring out a blue one with a Cork badge? They brought out pink and clearly lots of ladies

Fair enough, don't like them cause they look crap. But to not like them because you don't think it's fair on women that the gaa bring out a top in pink is nonsense in my opinion.

Mountain out of molehill springs to mind. The OP can ask a question, are you saying people shouldn't respond unless they agree with the OPs opinion?
    No but you jumped on the gender stereotyping straightaway. How dare you presume that I am calling women sheep. I am just saying that the OP is entitled to ask the question because they are not bringing out "'men's" jerseys. Talk about presumption.

Emm yes you did?

I didn't jump on anything.
    sparkydee wrote: »
    Emm yes you did?

Mod

Let's leave it there shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

While I'd never trade in my county colours for pink, there must have been a demand that warented the shirts being made.
    My niece would choose a pink shirt over any other colour (granted, she is 4) and I've a friend my age who always chooses the pink option, right down to her wine. There's also the boyfriends who'll buy it for the "girly" girlfriend I'm sure, even if it's just a way to get them interested the sport and watching matches with them. You never know where the demand comes from but odviously it's there.

Last time I went to a liverpool game they were selling unofficial pink shirts outside. Didn't see anyone wearing one though.

bubblefett wrote: »
    While I'd never trade in my county colours for pink, there must have been a demand that warented the shirts being made.

This is it for me. I don't support GAA, but I support Leinster/Ireland rugby. Irish football and Man Utd. I wouldn't wear a pink version of any of those jerseys but I certainly don't look down on those who do as doing it solely to impress the opposite sex. There is a market for them obviously. And maybe some of the women who wear the wouldn't have worn their county colours, so doesn't that just mean extra money for the GAA which is surely a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm a huge GAA fan and while I only own 2 jerseys that are both the colours of my county (one being the regular jersey, one a limited edition which was worn during a charity match), I have absolutely no problem with anyone wearing a pink jersey. Some people just might like 'em better and that's cool as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Isn't that only really relevant for the players on the pitch tho? If it still has the design and badge/logo is it not still clear close up who is being supported?

There's clearly a market, do the teams get a cut of the profits?

I doubt the teams get any of the profits from any jersey sales, probably just goes to the GAA.

And maybe for some people the colour is irrelevant, but I know if I went to say a Cork-Waterford game (I'm from Cork), there's no way I'd wear a blue jacket even if it didn't have any county logo on it.

It probably would be clear close up, like you say, but the whole feeling of being in a sea of red jerseys and part of a group of supporters all together wouldn't be as strong for me if I were in a pink jersey, especially if there was a Waterford girl across from me in a very similar one! The crests aren't that big like, and a lot of the design in jerseys is to do with the colours imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Im a huge gaa fan myself, minor, u21, senior intercounty and club Id go to the lot. I didnt really like the pink jerseys when I first saw them, I thought they looked quite gimmicky, but theyve really grown on me to a point Im definitely considering getting one!
    Like I dont think Id ever be able to wear it to big championship matches(The die hard in me couldnt give up the White and Blue for Thurles or Croker) but to smaller games or even just for wearing it around Id love it.
    For the big matches I kinda want people to know Im Waterford at first glance, hence the crazy flags and facepaint etc but the less importance of the game the less I'd mind and the more likely Id be to wear the pink.
    The way I look at it is, I love Waterford and I really like the colour pink, not coz its ultra flattering(Coz its not really) or coz boys love girls who wear pink, but simply because I like it.

Thats probably a really messy rambly looking post, I hope people can make sense of it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

Advertisement