Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

watty wrote: »
    We know:
    • Ka Band (Thus 100% DVB-S2, i.e. HD boxes only, even for SD TV)
    • Ireland spot beam
    • €1.5M per annum (i.e. sat with lot of space as that's cheap for 9 Channels)
    • Q2 2011 Service start

Well Watty its happened, what a difference a day makes, you and STB where
    starting to sound like IAN PASLEY on the other thread.

Not a bad price either 1.5 million per year.

Its my opinion that nobody was going to take on the commercial side of
    the DTT service unless they were going to get written guarantee from RTE that RTE were not going to go FTA in the future and RTE were never going to be able to guarantee that.SO a pay service on DTT is dead ,long live RTE FTA.

Well STB seems like the recession is over after all, Now were was it i wanted you to stick that dish........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

slegs wrote: »
    That is one mux isnt it?

The second mux is next year...
    No real HD on one mux possible. The HD test card is about 2Mb/s at present - little or no capacity left. No possibility of squeezing a non-static HD channel on the existing mux.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭slegs

fat-tony wrote: »
    No real HD on one mux possible. The HD test card is about 2Mb/s at present - little or no capacity left. No possibility of squeezing a non-static HD channel on the existing mux.

The channel line up proposed is for 1 mux I believe. Conor Hayes said the second mux was not to appear until 2012. Mentioned something about having to wait until ASO. I thought he was talking thru his hole to cover up the mess but he clearly said that it was 1 mux this year and another in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

RTE yet again reinvent the wheel. They must be a bit in love with themselves in Montrose. Who in the name of sanity will go to the bother of buying bespoke non-standard new kit for a narrow channel choice?

Did they not try something like this in the 60's with those PYE sets that would only pick up Telefis Eireann... If you were a good Irishman or Woman you wouldn't be watching that stuff from across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So no real HD service till 2012
    The part time HD will no-doubt be instead of childrens/RTE+1 for special sports. It will need 4Mbps to 7Mbps VBR for decent quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

So we can expect Sport in HD on Weekend Afternoons and probably not much else. (perhaps Champions league Wednesday Nights?)

2011 is not A Olympic or World Cup/Euro Champ year so they won't feel too much pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

As someone who has banged on (and on!) about RTÉ's coverage issues and lack of 'freesat' type service, it's great to be able to take it all back and eat my own words.

I uploaded a grab of the Ka-sat footprint to my flickr account in July 2009 and thought "Now, wouldn't that be a neat solution to the copyright sh*te" - never, ever thought it could possibly become a reality.

3769488494_daeb197e1f_o.jpg

I can't for the life of me locate the original source for that map, but I'm sure it was from a PDF brochure document.
    gtg60 wrote: »
    It's not like it's going to provide a one box solution with Irish and UK channels with one 7 day EPG.

But such boxes already exist for this service! Hopefully RTÉ will use a simple DVB-SI 7-day EPG on Saorsat, so any DVB-S2 Linux receiver, which can already decrypt the Freesat EPG, will be able to integrate the two on the one EPG grid.

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    Sky will kill this before it ever literally gets off the launch pad. They'll offer a Freesat from Sky Ireland card offer with RTE to lock you into 28.2E. End of commercial prospects for Saorsat.

[snip]

If this is anything like your previous Chicken Licken predictions - the sky is falling, the IMF are taking over, RTÉ are going bust - then Saorsat will be a roaring success.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Apogee wrote: »
    If this is anything like your previous Chicken Licken predictions - the sky is falling, the IMF are taking over, RTÉ are going bust - then Saorsat will be a roaring success.

Hilarious :D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Great thread, time for me to post my tuppence worth.

Earlier in the thread there was a brief discussion regarding LNBs and receiver input frequencies. This link to a group of Ka band lnbs, depending on the LNB L.O. frequency and Ka band frequency the I.F. goes from 950 to 1,950MHz, matching todays receivers I believe although Ka band selection options probably aren't available within the menu.

It was difficult to find information on the Ka band frequency range used in Europe but found a recent draft ECC Report on the use of the frequency bands 27.5 - 30.0 GHz and 17.3 - 20.2 GHz by satellite networks (link to draft report).

Might be worth keeping an eye on the launch schedule on Lyngsat, Ka-Sat scheduled for late Nov this year.

Apogee mentioned rain-fade earlier, it's briefly mentioned here when discussing data upload.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Great thread, time for me to post my tuppence worth.

Earlier in the thread there was a brief discussion regarding LNBs and receiver input frequencies. This link to a group of Ka band lnbs, depending on the LNB L.O. frequency and Ka band frequency the I.F. goes from 950 to 1,950MHz, matching todays receivers I believe although Ka band selection options probably aren't available within the menu.

The Septics have a horribly, botched Ka-band setup, particularly the DirecTV ones. Some of the Ka bands are downconverted to L-band, so fine. But others are downconverted to the B-band, which requires a B-band upconverter (I have one in a box somewhere) operated by a 22Khz signal to upconvert from B-band to L-band. The RTÉ setup should be substantially more straightforward.

The Cush wrote:
    It was difficult to find information on the Ka band frequency range used in Europe but found a recent draft ECC Report on the use of the frequency bands 27.5 - 30.0 GHz and 17.3 - 20.2 GHz by satellite networks (link to draft report).

http://www.uhf-satcom.com/kaband/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Septics have a horribly, botched Ka-band setup, particularly the DirecTV ones. Some of the Ka bands are downconverted to L-band, so fine. But others are downconverted to the B-band, which requires a B-band upconverter (I have one in a box somewhere) operated by a 22Khz signal to upconvert from B-band to L-band. The RTÉ setup should be substantially more straightforward.

They sure can load their dishes with LNBs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjTJwkAa7Ww&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

watty wrote: »
    We know:
    • Ireland spot beam
    • Q2 2011 Service start

Is this all confirmed from a reliable source or are we all jumping the gun and speculating??

To be honest i cant see it working, The services should be where they already are on 28.2e, if the consumer is not confused enough about this DTT start/setup then they wont understand about a 2nd dish with a possible new reciever (Other than their sky box) for the FTA RTE service?

DTT will be a very small take up, if at all apart from us guys on here, FTA satellite off another bird also will be a dead duck.

Its already proved on here that people think that the only way to get a decent picture on RTE/TV3 etc is by paying Sky or cable companies, its part of the Irish mentality now to be hemeraging money out to SKY and the UK tax man!

Even George hook has reasured us, in these times of tightening our belts we have to look how we pay for our TV, but Sky is the way to go as "They care" & provide "Quality service", and as soon as Joe public sees that advert, it reasures them that paying 23€-108€ a month to Sky is the best safe, caring option for a quality pay TV service.

The rain fade problem is a big one, yesterday during a storm i lost all my KU band transmissions from all satellites on a 1.1m dish, heaven knows what would happen with this new KA band on a 45cm dish!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

KA band L.N.B,

How many installs this week ?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so basically they would rather pay 1.5 million a year to enable a couple of hundred homes(my prediction of takeup of this) than get the government to insist on a ftv card from sky... Sky will kill this as they usually do with any potential new entries. how long will we be able to acess astra 2a and 2D for? are we talking decades from now before something similar happens in the uk or is it sooner?

As someone who has banged on (and on!) about RTÉ's coverage issues and lack of 'freesat' type service, it's great to be able to take it all back

3769488494_daeb197e1f_o.jpg

Hopefully RTÉ will use a simple DVB-SI 7-day EPG on Saorsat, so any DVB-S2 Linux receiver, which can already decrypt the Freesat EPG, will be able to integrate the two on the one EPG grid.

Recap
    Why it is probably Kasat @ 9E
    (Not yet launched)
    We know:
    • Ireland spot beam
    • Q2 2011 Service start

Sats are ordered years before launch and only military ones are secret. Both makers, Operators and launch operators boast for years in advance.

AFAIK none of the Ka in service have Irish Spot beam
    The only two services likely by ANY date before 2012 is Avanti Hylas and Eutelsat kasat. (aka ka-sat and "Ka Sat" on searches).

For various reasons Hylas is unlikely and not likely to have a narrow enough spot. I'd also expect it to be cheaper :)

So that leaves Eutelsat's Kasat at 9E the only known candidate.

STB wrote: »
    The new satellites, to be designated ASTRA 2E, ASTRA 2F, ASTRA 2G and ASTRA 5B, will allow the release of the existing satellites at two orbital positions (28.2 and 31.5 degrees East) and add new capacity as well as fleet deployment flexibility for the SES group over the coming years. The satellites are scheduled for launch in several steps between 2012 and 2014. The design life of each satellite is 15 years.
    Don't fit 2011 time scale.
    The only viable Ka Spot for Irish TV in 2011 I know off is a successful 9E kasat launch.

In fact when he said FTA and Spot Irish beam I knew it had to be a Future Ka band launch (mentioned at start of thread).

If he said "Ka Sat" that is official Eutelsat name. If he said Ka Band, that's generic?
    Which did he say to the committee?

When will it start?
    Q2 2011, If it's Kasat, that depends on launch Dec2010/Jan2011 success.

Launch date Q3 2010 originally for the most likely candidate.
    Seems to have slipped
    http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/upcoming-launches.html
    KA-SAT
    Ordered by Eutelsat from EADS Astrium, KA-SAT is scheduled for launch between November 2010 and January 2011. Entirely innovative in design, the satellite will be configured with over 80 spotbeams, with a network of eight ground stations connecting to the Internet backbone.

The KA-SAT programme is to deliver efficient resources for the mass-market delivery of the Tooway™ consumer broadband service, targeted at users across Europe and the Mediterranean Basin located beyond range of ADSL networks. With a throughput of over 70 Gigabits per second, KA-SAT will be capable of serving over one million users who expect bandwidth and prices comparable to ADSL2 performance.

Eutelsat will also drive the development of satellite-based consumer broadband services with triple-play capability, by combining broadband services in the Ka-band, through KA-SAT, with the reception of TV channels in the Ku-band. In order to facilitate the availability of high-performance triple-play equipment at competitive prices, Eutelsat will deploy the KA-SAT satellite to 9° East. This deployment will simplify production of dual-feed antennas transmitting and receiving broadband services in the Ka-band from 9° East, and receiving television in the Ku-band from Eutelsat’s flagship HOT BIRD™ neighbourhood at 13° East.

Also some confusion originally if it's 9E or 13E
    Originally discussed as 13E when I met Tooway guys 2 years ago. But now seems to be 9E.
    Pluses: 9E is MUCH better elevation than 28.E Sky/Freesat. Less likely trees/roof block. Fitting on rear of roof overlooking house easier.
    Minus: while a 9E/13E combo Ka/Ku is possible a 9E ka/ 28E Ku combo is very challenging (one Dish rule)

See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooway
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KA-SAT
    220px-Tooway_satellite_antenna_photo.jpg
    This demo dish/feed may infact be 13E ku on front LNB and 9E ka on disk reflector/rear BUC+LNB
    Dark rectangular box is power Amp for transmitter. 3 IF cables. Ku TV, Ka Internet Downlinkk + TV and Ka Internet uplink. Ka TV can only use one polarisation if Internet is installed.

The Ireland Spot on Kasat would only need maybe 40cm for TV Receive only. Internet works on staggeringly small 43cm compared to 95cm mostly needed now.

Content
    Identical to the Terrestrial DTT. They will be able to use it as backup feed for all the DTT transmitter Sites. Terrestrial DTT will have one MUX now and a second PSB MUx in 2012. All the DAB stations will be included.

Initially 9 channel Identities.
    1. rte1
    2. rte2
    3. rtehd (part time Special events)
    4. RTE News now
    5. rte childrens daytime
    6. rte +1 evening , euronews overnight
    7. tv3
    8. 3e
    9. tg4
    rte childrens daytime and rte +1 evening , euronews overnight sharing by time.
    To make the Numbers work any HD would have to replace RTE1 or RTE2 (since all Saorview and Saorsat is HD, this works even on SD TVs) and probably they have to stop RTE news now, rte childrens daytime or rte +1 evening during any Terrestrial HD till 2012.
    Soarsat (Satellite) will be an identical copy of DTT, so it can be used as backup.

Set box and the gear
    • Since the dish is nearly twice the size it looks and it's an Irish Spot, don't be tempted to a larger dish! hard to align.
    • The LNB must be a Ka Band suitable for Kasat
    • All Ka Band and newer Satellite systems use DVB-S2, so an HD receiver is needed, probably if you want the Saorview/Saorsat extended EPG/Interactive you need MHEG5 as per Saorview spec. At worst you will get now/next.
    Without MHEG5 you may get regular DVB 7 day EPG/Program Guide.

A Diseqc switch is needed to use a Freesat HD box on Freesat and Saorsat, along with 2nd dish for 28.2E or some sort of dual feed 9E & 28E dish. (Too far a part for two LNBs on arm on regular dish).

Coverage
    500px-KA-SAT_spot_beams_coverage.jpg
    ka-sat-spot-beam-coverage-footprint-map.gif
    120204.png
    Orange line at North East is estimate of 1m dish
    Red line is around absolute limit. French spot reception too strong, coverage probably not as far as red line due to interference

South West of NI is covered,With a larger dish, more of NI and I.O.M. can get it.

With a 1m dish or larger, small parts of Cornwall, Devon Wales, maybe bits of Somerset. Rest of UK no chance due to combination of beam size and frequency reuse. The same freq spot is France to edge of Channel. So as you move to Devon, south east wales etc, a larger dish is no use as the signal is destroyed by French Spot.

A major aspect of Kasat is two way Internet. The Tooway service
    tooway-ka-band-terminal.jpg
    I have actually met the people involved in setting up Tooway, which will use Eight Earth Stations / Hubs.

How to Get Sky/Freesat/UK sat and Kasat?
    Simplest solution is a second dish. It's very small.
    The off the shelf "single dish" solution is the Wavefrontier Toroidal 55

1. T55 has the same effectiveness of 55 cm (20 inches) dish for each LNBF installed.
    2. T55 can accommodate up to 8 LNBFs.
    3. T55 can cover up to 40 degrees in arc (60 degrees in azimuth)
    28E - 9E is approx 20 Degrees

The T90 (90cm) is not recommended as alignment for Ka would be as difficult as a 1.8m dish and any shaking in wind would lose signal. The T90 is a very heavy dish which much higher windload.

If you can get DTT, that's simpler.

You can't add a 2nd 9E LNB (Ka or Ku) to a 28.2E Sky/FTA/Freesat dish. Too great an angle. 2nd 40cm+ dish simplest or a custom or Wavefrontier dish for both LNBs on one dish. You also need a Diseqc switch.

If you have more than one receiver or PVR then you need Quad LNBs and multiple Diseqc switch (max 2 x PVRs and 4x switches) or Quattro Ka & Ku LNBs and Multiswitch (2 to 8 PVRs, or 16 non PVR or any mix)

13E to 28E is possible on one 80cm dish. Not 9E ka, I don't think.

Yes it can be done on a 55cm Wavefrontier dish (2 x LNBs and Diseqc if one sat receiver. More "interesting" if you want multiple TVs, but up to a 1000+ TVs possible with Quattro LNBs and Multiswitch. Assuming someone makes a Quattro Ka band LNB).

It may be possible on something cheaper & smaller that qualifies as a single dish. If one dish rule is NOT enforced, a 40cm dish & ka LNB is REALLY small as a second dish.

The 55cm Wavefrontier would let you have 19E, 16E (football), 13E and 23.5E also as well as 28E and 9E.

One of these "flat" rear feed 44cm dishes should work good for Kasat @ 9E when launched. Very discreet and similar to Broadband Fixed Wireless. (I use one for terrestrial Fixed Wireless!).
    http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/antennen-diverse/megasat-sd-flat-440-flachantenne.html
    Possibly evade "2nd dish needs planning permission" rules.
    I shall see how it can be combined with a 50cm to 65cm dish for sky.

Combo for 9E Internet and 13E TV
    220px-Tooway_satellite_antenna_photo.jpg

1/ There is a one dish rule.While it's possible to do 13E and 28E on one dish, 9E and 28E is only possible on a toroidal dish
    2/ Sky boxes don't do Diseqc. FTA boxes do. Some Freesat do.
    3/ Only HD receivers will work. It will be DVB-S2, regular FTA is only DVB-s

Rain Fade is worse on Ka Band. Is this a problem?
    the sat guys I spoke with (actual vendors) claimed the 43cm dish takes into account rain fade.

Dish gain does go up with square of Frequency, so at Ka a dish has nearly 6dB more gain at same size, or another way, 43cm in clear sky on Ka is nearly the same as 80cm dish on Ku in clear sky for same EIRP, certainly much more than 75. In London the Freesat/Sky is fine on 45cm dish. Unlike Sky/Freesat, the intended Irish service area would be in "hotspot" of the Ka Irish Spot. This means if nothing else was better (and it probably is), then in Clear sky a 27cm would work. But the 40cm+ needed for rain margin.

It will be interesting after Kasat launch, if successful, just how small a dish works in clear sky! Possibly even 20cm, 8"!

The newer Ka Satellite with small spots must have very much higher gain dish.
    The newer satellites are always higher power than older ones.

Time will tell what sort of Internet Speeds Tooway on KaSat does in Rain and how much rain before breakup on Ka band Saorsat.

The transponders and spots have much more dynamic power management too. TV receive only doesn't need as big a dish as Tooway service/Two way internet.

Why are RTE choosing this?
    Like the original Sky deal, it's driven by cost. This simply means they save annually the running cost of loads of small DTT fill in at lower cost of 1.5M and save €50M+ maybe on rollout of fill in sites.

France is big so a FTV card is cheaper solution. FTA on Ku Sat and especially 28.2 isn't feasible financially.

This is a complementary service. It's a bit inconvenient if you want "foreign" TV but I'm sure we will figure out a cheap solution (to have Freesat on same dish), which will be better than pesky expensive CAMs and cards.

FTV cards of course don't protect rights, that's an illusion. This isn't much fun for Irish people in UK, like FTV cards would be, that's for sure.

Can I get Internet from same dish?
    In theory. But Downlink and Uplink use opposite polarities so the Saorsat Transponder needs to be same polarity and high/low part of band as the Internet downlink to work.

Multiroom
    This is the usual level of complexity if you want Freesat. If all Saorsat is on one Transponder and any 2nd transponder in 2012 (to match 2nd mux if the inital tansponder isn't enough), then a regular splitter works for multiple receivers. No Quad or Octo needed. On a Multiswitch with other Quattro LNBs you only need on of the four inputs connected. No quattro needed.

It's very likely all Irish Spot content will be same part of band and same polarisation.

Did I miss anything?:)

so basically they would rather pay 1.5 million a year to enable a couple of hundred homes(my prediction of takeup of this) than get the government to insist on a ftv card from sky... Sky will kill this as they usually do with any potential new entries. how long will we be able to acess astra 2a and 2D for? are we talking decades from now before something similar happens in the uk or is it sooner?

I know its madness, All these sky dishes and a service already up and running on 28 east, a FTV card at a cost of say 30€ a time to the consumer (Instead of a 2nd dish/box etc etc), surely it would be cheaper than 1.5m a year???

Not necessarily, if sky were forced to provide a FTV card (I dont really see how this could happen) they could then charge RTE for carriage which would be more than 1.5m in my estimation. However if sky were to provide a FTV card for their own commercial reasons then RTE could well terminate this plan

snaps wrote: »
    , surely it would be cheaper than 1.5m a year???

snaps wrote: »
    I know its madness, All these sky dishes and a service already up and running on 28 east, a FTV card at a cost of say 30€ a time to the consumer (Instead of a 2nd dish/box etc etc), surely it would be cheaper than 1.5m a year???

If RTE was paying for a copy of Saorview on Sky that would be about
    €1.1M for EPGs excluding Radio (9 placements)
    €9M for FTV /Encryption (assuming 1/20th of charges to BBC)
    €3M to €8M for Transponder ( 28.2 is one of most expensive)
    Total RTE Cost about €12M a year, likely much more, perhaps €21M

Cost of cards to Consumers 30 x 100,000 = €3M

That's €12M to €20M a year leaving the state to Sky pockets. Only a 1/3rd is real costs, which is still €4M to €7M.

The RTE Saorsat solution gives Ireland its own Sat Platform. Only dealing with Eutelsat, an impartial Technology Platform, not Murdoch's biased Empire.
    It gives true back up feeds to all DTT sites. Likely RTE's Sky Digibox usage is not cheap as Sky actually charge non-Domestic customers extra. A Digibox is terrible for automation too.
    Soarsat is very cheap at €1.5M as it uses the really high capacity (=cheap) proposed Ka-Sat. The Spot beam AND re-used same frequencies on other spots from same position in sky mean it's impossible for "out of footprint" reception any more than normal Terrestrial TV overspill. N.I. is in reality possibly full coverage due to distance from French Spot on same channels, but that's not an issue.

The Soarsat solution is easily expanded to 2 DTT Muxes and even 6 Mux at similar costing. Apart from the cost the capacity at 28.2 doesn't exist until 2013 to 2015 (which also would be Ka Band, not Ku).

The silver lining to the 12 year delay is that We have MPEG4 & no need for wasteful HD simulcast and possible cheap Kasat assuming launch is OK Dec 2010/Jan 2012.

I did warn people about not buying combos and not buying fully Saorview compatible DTT (i.e. you absolutely need HD box even with SD TV as NOT simulcast, the SD channel will gradually have more HD until full HD maybe in 2012).

The pioneers get arrows in the back.

So NO-BODY rush out getting Ka band LNBs etc when Kasat comes on line. Wait till Saorsat actually starts real service. For DTT wait until Saorview publicly starts in Nov 2010.

The service is NOT for the Sky/UPC customer. It's to fill in missing 2% to 7% of DTT. It's merely inconvenient rather than impossible for those that have UK Freesat / FTA and want Saorsat rather than Saorview.

This is what a 44cm flat panel dish (rear feed ordinary LNB fitting and about €25) would look like as a separate install to MMDS and Sky/Freesat/FTA:
    120294.png
    Potential Saorsat 2nd dish?

That's a real sat dish (top left). It's equivalent to over 75cm as Ka gives more signal on same size dish as Ku.

(Obviously that 44cm flat dish in photo is not actually for Soarsat! But it could be, actually though a genuine sat dish, I was using it for terrestrial "tests". I would be very surprised to see the "more than one dish needs planning permission" rule applied to those plastic cased "flat dish".)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Hi. Can someone please clarify what the TWO DISH RULE is, and if it actually exists. I know 4 people who for geographical reasons have two dishs (28.2 and 19.2 - there house is at the wrong angle for one dish solution!) and i have never heard of a two dish rule!

What exactly is it, and could someone point me to a link where it is stated clearly that this is a law!

Incidently one of the dishes is at the front of the house one at the back. the house is in a block of houses which point in such a direction that 28.2 is at the front of the house while 19.2 is at the back... my friend considered putting one dish on the chimney but as its an old house and subject to severe wind, the two dish solution seemed logical

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

liamtech wrote: »
    Hi. Can someone please clarify what the TWO DISH RULE is, and if it actually exists. I know 4 people who for geographical reasons have two dishs (28.2 and 19.2 - there house is at the wrong angle for one dish solution!) and i have never heard of a two dish rule!

What exactly is it, and could someone point me to a link where it is stated clearly that this is a law!

Incidently one of the dishes is at the front of the house one at the back. the house is in a block of houses which point in such a direction that 28.2 is at the front of the house while 19.2 is at the back... my friend considered putting one dish on the chimney but as its an old house and subject to severe wind, the two dish solution seemed logical

The rule exists alright - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/planning-permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house .

Quoting some of the text - " Generally, you will not need planning permission for: ......satellite dish (up to one metre across the below the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house "

I know loads of people with 2 dishes or dishes at the front of their houses without planning permission and they have never be warned or asked to remove them, the local councils seem to turn a blind eye seem it. Then again the council may not have received complaints.

One dish up to 95cm or 1m, (not sure which) doesn't need planning permission as long as it's not above house or past the front of house.

Anything else technically needs planning permission. (i.e. dish on road front, 1.2m dish, multiple dishes)

But they never count MMDS dishes as "Dishes" and the 44cm plastic cased dishes with rear feed are unlikely to be counted.

Councils vary in rigourness of applying the rules,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ok call me a sceptic but i dont think this will take off at all. dtt yes via saorview but saorsat no.....sky will offer a ftv card to hook you in and the people that cant get rte via an aerial will go for the easy option from sky of 50 to 60 euro install and a free box and then the ftv card option....

SO my freinds dish which for reasons of Geography is located at the front of the house requires planning permission.... what about all his neighbours having sky dishes at the front of the house? Your saying they all got planning permission>????

I stay in my mates house a few days every week, so i know it well.. there are at least 6 dishes on the front of the houses on his block - usually over the maindoor porch.... are they all illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

liamtech wrote: »
    SO my freinds dish which for reasons of Geography is located at the front of the house requires planning permission.... what about all his neighbours having sky dishes at the front of the house? Your saying they all got planning permission>????

I stay in my mates house a few days every week, so i know it well.. there are at least 6 dishes on the front of the houses on his block - usually over the maindoor porch.... are they all illegal?

I'd say most dishes on the front of houses are installed without planning as people are not aware of the requirement, if installed on the front of the house without permission yes they are illegal. But I never heard of anybody being forced to remove them. It a matter of enforcement , the council are within their rights to ask for their removal

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    I'd say most dishes on the front of houses are installed without planning as people are not aware of the requirement, if installed on the front of the house without permission yes they are illegal. But I never heard of anybody being forced to remove them. It a matter of enforcement , the council are within their rights to ask for their removal

Thanks for the clarification - I suppose the six million dollar question is should we move it and put it on the Chimney instead - It took us 4 hourse to set up each dish individually, the one at the back and the one at the front - Id hate to think we have to undo it all again?

And what about his 19.2 dish at the back - Should we take that down or is this one dish rule enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

The negativity that surrounds this announcement is unbelieveable.

From RTE's point of view, their job is to provide domestic TV coverage to the Republic of Ireland after Analogue switch-off. DTT is in place, and will work well judging by the tests (assuming that the resolution is up'd to 704x576 on all SD channels!). 93% of the population sorted.

So the awkward bit is how do you supply the remaining 7% with Irish TV. They have found a solution that will cost €1.5 million per year. This is incredible value for money. :) No rights issues because of overspill - one look at the beam pattern shows this to be the case. As a bonus, they get a satellite back-up for transmitter distribution for free - I wonder how much (if anything) RTE pay Sky for the back-up transmission rights at each analogue transmitter?

So it won't work on your dish formally used for Sky - Tough. That is not RTE's remit. Their job is to supply Irish TV to Irish people in Ireland. If you are one of the 7%, you will have to buy new equipment - guesstimating at a cost of 6-12 months of a payment from Sky. If you want Sky, you will already be paying Sky. If you only want RTE, pay the up-front hardware cost and get better TV quaility than you ever dreamt possible after years of analogue snow (TV3 excepted - that's crap TV regardless of PQ!).

My only caveat is this: with only a small % of the population requiring these boxes, it seems imperative that RTE use a generic solution with 7-day EPG - a taylor-made solution will not be economically viable.

If you want your FTA BBC then chances are you already have the dish. If you want RTE, then there is a 93% chance that an ariel will do that.

Well done RTE - finally a solution that seems sensible.

My 2 cents.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

ok call me a sceptic but i dont think this will take off at all. dtt yes via saorview but saorsat no.....sky will offer a ftv card to hook you in and the people that cant get rte via an aerial will go for the easy option from sky of 50 to 60 euro install and a free box and then the ftv card option....

What's in it for Sky?

• Advertisement

Your points are well made and I agree for the most part but to be balanced RTE have not fulfilled their remit up to this point on the analogue network for a good many customers.
    tlaavtech wrote: »
    The negativity that surrounds this announcement is unbelieveable.
    <snip>

My 2 cents.

C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement