Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch Alarm

• 27-11-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi All,
    moved into a second hand house that had eircom phonewatch alarm. Wireless sensors. The previous owners had stopped using the monitoring and therefore stopped using the alarm completely.
    We've used it as an unmonitored alarm for nearly 3yrs.
    One sensor on a window used to give false warnings, i opened the sensor to see if there was anything obvious wrong ( replaced battery too ), since then I have to bypass that sensor when setting alarm ( hitting the status key, it says " SENSOR SUPERVISORY " for that sensor ). Is there anything I can do to reinstate the sensor working correctly?

Also, recently, 2 other sensors have intermittently raised status warnings " SENSOR TAMPER ", now ok, Any ideas?

Rgds

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi All,
    moved into a second hand house that had eircom phonewatch alarm. Wireless sensors. The previous owners had stopped using the monitoring and therefore stopped using the alarm completely.
    We've used it as an unmonitored alarm for nearly 3yrs.
    One sensor on a window used to give false warnings, i opened the sensor to see if there was anything obvious wrong ( replaced battery too ), since then I have to bypass that sensor when setting alarm ( hitting the status key, it says " SENSOR SUPERVISORY " for that sensor ). Is there anything I can do to reinstate the sensor working correctly?

Also, recently, 2 other sensors have intermittently raised status warnings " SENSOR TAMPER ", now ok, Any ideas?

Rgds

S

Hi Springsteen,

Do you know what type system is installed ? Sounds like the simon panel, if so the SUPERVISORY is the sensor communicating with the panel, if it has a low battery this could happen. The other thing you could do is there is a moveable aerial inside the panel you can point that more so towards the sensor giving this message. Be careful when you open the panel as there is a live current inside. Turn off the power in the house first.

Any problems, let me know..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Springsteen

Thanks Altor,
    it does also say " system low battery " on the status. Is that the back up battery in the main panel? is this the one you mean? If so where can i get one? or is it the same as the batteries for the sensors?
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Not sure if its a simon panel or not. Its white, 10 inch by 10 inch, 2 aerials on top, 16 buttons, yellow lcd display....
    rgds
    S

Thanks Altor,
    it does also say " system low battery " on the status. Is that the back up battery in the main panel? is this the one you mean? If so where can i get one? or is it the same as the batteries for the sensors?
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Not sure if its a simon panel or not. Its white, 10 inch by 10 inch, 2 aerials on top, 16 buttons, yellow lcd display....
    rgds
    S

It is a concord panel you have. It is a different battery to the ones in the sensors. You could open the panel to get the old battery to get the replacement one you need.

Thanks very much Altor.

Thanks very much Altor.

Your welcome, always here to help..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

On the theme of batteries....

I'd like to replace the battery in a wireless sensor. It's the Interlogix PIR supplied originally by PW (already installed in the house), but I can't see any obvious way of opening the housing..

I don't want to force it and risk breaking lugs on it. But I can't find a manual on the net, or even a picture of it.

There aren't screwdriver marks on it either, so I presume it's easy enough to open without a screwdriver, once in the know of course....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1013 wrote: »
    On the theme of batteries....

I'd like to replace the battery in a wireless sensor. It's the Interlogix PIR supplied originally by PW (already installed in the house), but I can't see any obvious way of opening the housing..

I don't want to force it and risk breaking lugs on it. But I can't find a manual on the net, or even a picture of it.

There aren't screwdriver marks on it either, so I presume it's easy enough to open without a screwdriver, once in the know of course....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi 1013,

Yes it is easy to open, you need to remove the top cover, take out the screw that is in behind this top cover, get a small flat head screw driver and lift the plastic just above where the screw was. "you should see a gap where the your going to put in the screw driver" leaver it towards yourself to remove the cover.

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

altor wrote: »
    Hi 1013,

Hope this helps..

Hi Altor!

Great - thanks for the quick reply.

Your instructions were perfect.

All is sorted now. :)

Cheers

1013 wrote: »
    Hi Altor!

Great - thanks for the quick reply.

Your instructions were perfect.

All is sorted now. :)

Cheers

Your welcome 1013, always here to help..

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭phantom60

altor wrote: »
    Your welcome 1013, always here to help..

Hi Altor,

just wanted to say a big thank you for helping me out too.

phantom

• Advertisement

phantom60 wrote: »
    Hi Altor,

just wanted to say a big thank you for helping me out too.

phantom

Your welcome phantom60, if you ever have any problem with your alarm dont hesitate to ask for help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 screwlox

Can anyone 'in the know' tell me what the MINIMUM TERM is for the Phonewatch Monitoring contract?

I had a quote sent out in the post, but I'm not signing anything until I know what I'm getting into. Their TERMS & CONDITIONS make 'reference' to the 'Minimum term' - however, nowhere in the pages does it actually state what it is. (I know its prob 12 months, but lets not 'assume' anything).
    Does this mean I'm signing a blank cheque??

I rang their accounts dept to find out, but got put on hold for 20mins (not a good start!) but I got fed up waiting.
    I would have thought LEGALLY they would have to specify this clearly on their contract/Terms & Conds?

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would say the minimum term is 12 months ye, but did they do you a package deal out with cover for the monitoring? They often give a 2 or 3 year package with the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Most eircom contracts are between 3 and 5 years. Work out what you will end up paying after the contract is up, it might look like a good deal now but not in the long run. You should get a few more quotes from other companies and maybe get a text dialer where there are no annual fees.

screwlox wrote: »
    Can anyone 'in the know' tell me what the MINIMUM TERM is for the Phonewatch Monitoring contract?

I had a quote sent out in the post, but I'm not signing anything until I know what I'm getting into. Their TERMS & CONDITIONS make 'reference' to the 'Minimum term' - however, nowhere in the pages does it actually state what it is. (I know its prob 12 months, but lets not 'assume' anything).
    Does this mean I'm signing a blank cheque??

I rang their accounts dept to find out, but got put on hold for 20mins (not a good start!) but I got fed up waiting.
    I would have thought LEGALLY they would have to specify this clearly on their contract/Terms & Conds?

Thanks

Hi screwlox,

The minimum contract is for 12 months but as Davy said you can get a package for 2-3 years off them. Just ask before you sign, no point thinking your signing up for 12 months then to find out you signed up for 3 years.
    You should shop around for your monitoring, there are cheaper monitoring stations out there that all do the same as them. Your better off sending them an email than trying to get them on the phone and then what ever they agree on you have it in an email from them. Always best to get it in writing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Sorry to hijack this thread, but there appears to be a very knowledgeable person on the other end of it.:D

I have a Phonewatch system, with 3 motion sensors. I have set the alarm numerous times 'from inside the house', in other words with just windows and doors. However one motion appears to activate the alarm. I have an engineer out about a week after the install to look at it (the hall sensor didnt appear to activate) but he explained that to me. I will be onto them during the week to have this one fixed assuming it is indeed a fault.

Ant ideas whats causing this?

Cheers
    bear

t'bear wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but there appears to be a very knowledgeable person on the other end of it.:D

I have a Phonewatch system, with 3 motion sensors. I have set the alarm numerous times 'from inside the house', in other words with just windows and doors. However one motion appears to activate the alarm. I have an engineer out about a week after the install to look at it (the hall sensor didnt appear to activate) but he explained that to me. I will be onto them during the week to have this one fixed assuming it is indeed a fault.

Ant ideas whats causing this?

Cheers
    bear

Hi t'bear,

Do you have the as fitted spec off the alarm ? From what your saying it is a simon panel installed. If so does it tell you what group the sensor your having the problem with is programmed into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ray27

i have an eircom phonewatch system which keeps beeping every couple of hours all through the night, its driving me mad. i am getting a few messages from the panel, 1. system time use not set, 2. sensors 1 & 3 alarm, 3. system low battery. i have tried replacing batteries in sensors, but still no joy, so i was wondering would it be the battery in the panel itself, if so can anyone tell me how to replace the battery in the auctual eircom phonewatch panel, and will i hav to turn of the main power when replacing it. thanks!!!

Hi Ray,
    I had system low battery in a concord style eircom phonewatch main panel. On advise from Altor, I opened the panel after turning off the power, took out the battery ( YUASA NP2.1-12 12V, 2.1 Ah ) 6 inch by 3 inch, and went looking for a replacement. Found one in Baldoyle industrial park in a Car battery, radio, Electonics etc shop. Cant remember the name, its near the coffee shop. System low battery warning now gone. I still have a bit of bother with 2 sensors, one I have to bypass every time, another gives occasional false alarms. If I get to the bottom of that problem, I;ll post.
    rgds
    S.

ray27 wrote: »
    i have an eircom phonewatch system which keeps beeping every couple of hours all through the night, its driving me mad. i am getting a few messages from the panel, 1. system time use not set, 2. sensors 1 & 3 alarm, 3. system low battery. i have tried replacing batteries in sensors, but still no joy, so i was wondering would it be the battery in the panel itself, if so can anyone tell me how to replace the battery in the auctual eircom phonewatch panel, and will i hav to turn of the main power when replacing it. thanks!!!

Sounds like you have a simon panel installed. The beeping is the panel as it has a low battery and the time is not set. You must of had a power cut in the area. The battery in the panel may not need to be replaced. I will send you a pm with the info you require to get the alarm fixed.

• Advertisement

I still have a bit of bother with 2 sensors, one I have to bypass every time, another gives occasional false alarms.

Have you changed the batteries in the sensors ?
    Its always best to get faulty sensors fixed rather than bypass them off your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ray27

finally got eircom phonewatch fixed thanks to altor, if anybody havin any problems with there panels i would recomend you talk to altor.
    finaly b able to hav agoodnights sleep !!!! cheers !!!

also thanks to springsteen.

ray27 wrote: »
    finally got eircom phonewatch fixed thanks to altor, if anybody havin any problems with there panels i would recomend you talk to altor.
    finaly b able to hav agoodnights sleep !!!! cheers !!!

Your welcome ray27,

always happy to help if i can..

Hi Altor, I have not got around to getting new batteries for the sensors yet. Will do soon, if the problem still exists after new batteries fixed i'll post here for some more wisdom.
    Rgds
    S

Hi Altor, I have not got around to getting new batteries for the sensors yet. Will do soon, if the problem still exists after new batteries fixed i'll post here for some more wisdom.
    Rgds
    S

Hi Springsteen,

If the batteries are over 4 years old i would say this is the problem with them. The replacement batteries you need are CR123A LITHIUM for the shocks and motion detectors. The contacts depending on what type contacts are installed use a smaller battery. They are CR2 LITHIUM. If you post a picture i can let you know in advance what type batteries you will need..
    These batteries are camera batteries so are very easy to get.

Any problems at all let us know..

Hi Altor,
    I went on an expedition today with one of the batteries ( Tried hardware stores, Pharmacies, even a watch jeweller. No luck. The batteries are a little smaller than a CR2. They are 3.6v Lithium high capacity, it says LS 14250 C on the battery. Product name SAFT, made in France. Let me know if you need a photo. I dont have access to my camera at the minute. Thanks again for all the help.
    Rgds,
    S

Just found the exact battery on batterycity.ie
    rgds
    S

Thats good Springsteen, let me know if this sorts your problem with the sensors out.

Will do Altor, on another topic, do you know anything about astec alarms? A friend has one, he said the battery needed replacing. He replaced it and the system locked, he tried to reset the factory settings. He says the system is now in suspend mode showing C fault on both keypads. Any advice would be greatly received.
    rgds,
    S

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

C Fault can sometimes be clared buy powering the system down, wait a minute, power back up on battery first. If the keypad responds ok then apply the mains power.
    Was the keypad removed or any keypad connections altered?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement