Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

OK, now for the serious work to begin again. December was a complete wrtie off, I did 3 races, all quite disappointing in terms of time and apart from that I did very little else. I basically did no hill work, speed work or LSR's. I have been eating and drinking like a pig for the last 2 weeks and feeling very lethargic. I went to the gym today to try the threadmill and manage to knock out 4 miles in 35 minutes. It really felt tough. I think I have picked up a small cold from having drank and eaten so much and a m a little run down.
    However I am off work till thursday so I fully intend to get running every day. Things seem to be thawing today in dublin so maybe tomorrow I will get to Tymon park for a few laps around the grass.

BTW I weighed myself at the gym and came in a 76.4kg so I am up about 2kg over christmas which is actually less than I thought. I can certainly feel an extra layer of fat all over me. I plan to be very good food wise for the next month and hope to be in decent shape again by the time the Raheny 5 mile comes around.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey M.

Best of luck with the races in 2010. What are your A goal races?

Hey UL, I don't really know. I plan to do loads of races over the coming while- Raheny 5 miles at the end of the month and the 5k in dublin on 14th march for a start. I am planning on reaching most of my goals by summer/autumn- so I would like to run sub 35 for the 5mile in the adidas race series in July, break 1.40 for the half marathon in September and go under 20 minutes for the Rathfarnham 5k in early october, but I will race loads in the meantime and if I reach a goal earlier than planned then happy days!!

6 very icey, slushy, wet, heavy and unfortunately slow miles round Tymon park this afternoon. Paths were pure ice and some of the pitches are very wet and slushy, but there are a few good areas.
    I saw a lot of people running on roads (instaed of paths) today so I may try that tomorrow.

All thoughts of running today have gone. My slight headcold has developed into a bit of a chesty cough, and after reading the thread on running with a cold, it is probably best to give it a miss. I also see outside that lastnight brought fresh snow and ice, so not even the roads and certainly not the footpaths are in any way fit for running on. It will probably be the treadmill agin tomorrow :mad:

• Advertisement

6.1 miles this afternoon in Tymon Park. 54 minutes. The park was absolutely glorious today, the sun was shining and the grass pitches had lost the slushiness from a few days ago. The fresh snow even ghave the paths enough grip to run on them. I did mostly loops of some of the pitches but I have to say I really enjoyed it, loads of people were out walking their dogs and running. I think I have got a bit of mojo back after two bad runs :D The head cold has also improved a lot with a day of rest.

I might try to get a longer run in tomorrow (9/10 miles) since I'm back to work on thursday it will give me a chance to test my new camel pak...

I never got out yesterday thanks to a combination of unexpectedly being called into work (took 7 hours to get to the airport and back) and then the road conditions did not allow me to get out in the dark. I also got the news that my gym is closed, so even 'dreadmiles are out. So Today I was forced to take action, and following RobinPH's advice on the 'running on ice' thread and a visit to a hardware store (half inch wood screws and some wood carving blades purchased) I took my old traines and did this to them:
    http://img412.imageshack.us/i/iceshoes.jpg/

I have to say they performed fabtastically and this evenings planned 6 miles turned into 9 miles as I was enjoying myself so much:D The miles were slow at first but I speeded up as my confidence grew, and not one slip!!!
    9 miles in 1hr 25, pace 9'30ish

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Ha! That's excellent. Fair play to ya, you mad man. I can't wait to get out again. I might even try this approach myself. It's mental in wex at the mo and to continue for the next 10 days aaaaarrrrggghhhhhh

Seriously, I was running over sheet ice and everything and not a slip, they are the bomb!!....ideally you use 1/2 inch sheet metal screws (they have an abrasive edge) but I couldn't find them, so I had to imporvise...I think hefsarmy stuck a cheese grater on each trainer!! So stick on whatever will give you a bit of friction. It only took me about half an hour to fix up the trainers.

I went to the gym today after work (work up the dublin mountains so they let us of early :p). I was just going to do weights, but my legs were quite stiff from last night. I think it is quite heavy on the legs to run in the snow. Anyway I did a 30 minute recover jog. I covered about 3.4 miles. This was at around about the same pace as last saturday when I nearly died, so I can really feel the improvement in a week. I have also dropped a kilo since then, came in at 75.5kg tonight, so That's half gone of what I put on in december. I have been really good this week diet -wise, so I hope it is all gone by next week, then I can concentrate on hopefully losing some weight over the next few months. 70kg would be great but I'd settle for 72!

• Advertisement

5.8 gorgeous miles in tymon park this afternoon in 53 minutes (just over 9 min/miles). It was absolutely lovely, the sun was shining and the place was full of kids sledding down hills. Very enjoyable all in all, quite heavy in the legs though especially where the snow was deep.
    Anyway thats five runs since last sunday and a little over 30 miles. I haven't run like this since the last few months of DCM training s I am delighted with myslef especially given the conditions. I hope to keep it up next week. I have to say that the 1000 mile challenge is a great motivator!!

Good stuff memo,great mileage considering the weather. I'm waiting till this snap passes before getting out there again. Don't want to exacerbate any existing problems by running in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Good running sir, consistency is key, even treadmill is even becoming more bearable.

OI wrote: »
    Good stuff memo,great mileage considering the weather. I'm waiting till this snap passes before getting out there again. Don't want to exacerbate any existing problems by running in the snow.

Try the treadmill OI especially if you can watch the footie, watched Arsenal Everton while running today and while the time didn't fly by, it definitely seemed a lot quicker, apart from half time, Setanta need something more interesting than Paul Dempsey and Pat Dolan - maybe an old lady knitting.

Sub430 wrote: »
    Try the treadmill OI especially if you can watch the footie, watched Arsenal Everton while running today and while the time didn't fly by, it definitely seemed a lot quicker, apart from half time, Setanta need something more interesting than Paul Dempsey and Pat Dolan - maybe an old lady knitting.

I actually quite like the treadmill but I just don't have access to one. Joining a gym would be a waste of money for me and don't know of any pay as you go gyms down here, that i'd be too bothered with anyway. Don't mind waiting at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

Good luck with the training.enjoying the log.:D

Sub430 wrote: »
    Good running sir, consistency is key, even treadmill is even becoming more bearable.

Ugghhh I just notce you have snuck ahead of me again on the 1000 mile challenge (waves fist). It is a great encouragement that thread!!! I have no idea how you manage to knock out so many miles on a treadmill. The most I have ever gone is 10k. It bores the hell out of me and always seems a lot tougher than outdoor running.

OI wrote: »

It's actually not as bad as you would think, It is tough on the legs alright (kinda like running on soft sand) so it actually is a good workout for the leg muscles.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ugghhh I just notce you have snuck ahead of me again on the 1000 mile challenge (waves fist). It is a great encouragement that thread!!! I have no idea how you manage to knock out so many miles on a treadmill. The most I have ever gone is 10k. It bores the hell out of me and always seems a lot tougher than outdoor running.

9 miles was my longest ever run on treadmill and hopefully that will be set in stone. As I said it's ok when watching football, otherwise it's towel over display, set it to x miles and stop when it stops - mind over matter job.

1000 mile challenge is the business, if I can stay stay in the top 40, it'll be an achievement - I am the rubbish pop star of the 1000 mile challenge.

Thnakfully the thaw is well and truly melthing the snow and ice round here. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow for a run. Today it looked just to wet and slushy so I went to the gym for an interval session. 2k warm up at 10.5km/h (5:45 is/km) followed by 6 x 600m at 14 km/h (4:17/km) with 2 minute recovery (10kph) and a warm down at the end. Total 8km in just over 40 minutes.
    Felt quite tought, probably due to saturday nights excesses :P

• Advertisement

Thank god the paths have finally cleared and the weather is somewhat normal. Given the slow pace of recent icy runs, I decided to give it a decent clip tonight. There were still a few icy patches in shaded areas but no real scares apart from afew times I had to jump onto the road.
    Anyway 5.7miles in 46.5 minutes. 8:12/mile pace. HR 158
    Happy with that as there is still plenty to come from the heartrate, But i feel like there are still a few cobwebs tere that I need to shake off.

I went out for about 6 miles just now, but was slipping all over the place on black ice. I though the main roads would be better but when I nearly went head over heals crossing a busy junction, I thought better off it all and headed back. Only managed 1.4 miles in 12 minutes :mad:

15.01.10 I did 4 sprightly miles on the threadmill in 32 minutes 8:00 pace after weights in the gym. weight is still the same as last week at 75.5KG

Today was LSR. Just over 10 miles on quite a hilly course in 1hr26 minutes. Pace 8:36, HR 155. I am quite happy with this, especially because the second loop felt much easier than the first. I took a stitch on the first loop and didn't get rid of it for about a mile, but it is always nice to run through the pain and come out the other end :pac: . I guess I shouldn't have eaten lunch before going out though. I missed a day on thursday due to the ice, so I will probably try ot get in a few miles tomorrow (even if they are hungover ones) to make up the 5 runs this week.

10 mile lsr's already, :cool: you're going well on the 1000 mile challenge. I'll have to catch you up soon.

Yeah, the 1000 mile challenge is really doing the trick and since you are out of the way, I am concetrating on getting ahead of Sub430:D. On that subject I have just passed him out. Despite a feed of beer last night I went out for a recovery run. Tried to keep it slow and concentrate on not letting HR get above 150 (no mean feat with my hangover!!)
    5.4 miles in 49:30. that's 9:11/mile and 146 HR
    So this week I have got in 5 and a bit runs and 31.5 miles total. V Happy wiht that.
    Next week I won't get in as many runs as I am off for a boozy weekend next friday morning and not back till monday. I will try to get four runs in this week anyway. Hopefully I will get a speed session on the track at UCD tomorrow night and an 8 or 9 miler on thursday.

Speed/Interval session tonight at the UCD track and for once I managed to push through the pain barrier and stick it out. I even managed to speed up in the last lap :D
    I did a warm up then 4 x 1km with a 600m jog/recovery. I am quite happy because the HR consistenly dropped right down from close to 170 to low 140's inside the first 200-300m of the recovery.
    Splits were: 4:19(161), 4:14 (164), 4:20 (163), 4:10 (165), The thrd lap was slowish but I picket it up on the last lap and got the HR up to a high of 175.

Overall 5 miles in 43 minutes AV HR 152.

6 miles tonight at a petty decent clip in 49 minutes exactly. Pace 8:10 HR 156. This is more or less the same course as I did last monday (except for a little extra loop at the end tonight to make up the 6 miles) and I went a little faster/lower heartrate, so I am pleased to be making some progress.
    I signed up for the Raheny 5 last night. I am unsure what time to expect at that, so I am thining of doing a time trial round Tymon park next weekend. I have usually found that I run about 2.5 minutes faster in a 5 mile race than I can in trianing, so I am hoping that will give me a good indicaion of what pace I should be doing in Raheny.

Ok, so I've been away since last friday morning and just back today. Just to say I did 10k on thursday but didn't get a chance to post it because boards was down. So that was 17.2 miles overall last week. Obvously reduced because of the 4 days away. Plan is to get 4 runs in by friday (starting tomorrow- still too wrecked) then take saturday off and do the Raheny 5 on sunday. I am hoping this weekends exertions won't hurt my time too much as I felt I was getting in some good training before that.

Track tonight. I have been thinking of what kind of target to go for in the Raheny 5 at the weekend. So I decided to do a bit of a time trial tonight. 1 mile warm up (untimed) then 3 miles fast and one mile warm down (untimed). anyway, I covered the 3 tempo miles in 21.49 (7:16/mile, 169 av HR). Splits: 7:01 (167) 7:22 (169) 7:26 (170). (7:17 average)
    From past race experience I can normally sustain about 175 AV HR over 5 miles, so I reckon I can get a bit quicker on sunday and hold it for 5. I'll stick my neck out and go for a 35:xx on sunday. Hopefully I can get as close to 35 flat as possible.

• Advertisement

6.7 miles very easy in 58 minutes. Pace 8:45, HR 150

I normally wear my glasses out especially in the dark as it is really difficult to judge the terrain on poorly lit streets witout good eyesight. Foolishly I didn't tonight as it looked like it might rain. Even more foolishly I didn't put in the contact lenses which I normally would if I don't wear glasses. Tonight I was reminded of why I came to the conclusion to always go out with full eysight. I felt at times like I was jumping hot coals as I tried to go up and down over kerbs that weren't there. I also ran into grassy verges on several occasions :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement