Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

web domain names

• 10-06-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I went to register a domain name for a small company i am looking to set up only to find it is already owned but not used as such. It is not being used as a website as the name of the domain would suggest. This would suggest that the company are sitting on this domain name in order to make a profit.

Does anyone have any idea how much they usually charge to release a domain name?? If they are not using it directly can i request the domain name so as to use it for its intended purpose.

cheers

frag

edit: just been looking at other domain names we could use. does anyone know where i can find out their viability when it comes to search engines optimisation so as to get max results?? I was told there is a google website that allows you to input your domain name and it will tell you how many hits or how high on the listing it will be??

anyone??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

frag420 wrote: »
    This would suggest that the company are sitting on this domain name in order to make a profit.

Not really, could be using it for email addresses or other things.
    Does anyone have any idea how much they usually charge to release a domain name?? If they are not using it directly can i request the domain name so as to use it for its intended purpose.

Completely up to them, and no - it's their domain, you have no rights over it whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I was told there is a google website that allows you to input your domain name and it will tell you how many hits or how high on the listing it will be??

You've been told incorrect information. While keywords in domain names are important, there are many, many other factors which determine listing rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

tricky D wrote: »
    You've been told incorrect information. While keywords in domain names are important, there are many, many other factors which determine listing rank.

Perhaps what they meant origionally was what you could expect with regards positions and clicks using Google Adwords-not natural rankings?

With regards viability for max SEO results with a domain there is no magic trick-however if you can get a domain with your main keywords-the ones you want to rank for in the domain its a good starting point. First rung on a big ladder!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I presume you're talking about a .com domain?

A client of mine paid €1,000 for a four-letter domain a few years back, and I thought they got it cheap.

If it's something longer or more obscure there's no harm in mailing the domain to see if they are interested in a deal.

Have you considered a .ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

I'd second that suggestion about a .ie domain.

Google for example uses geographical criteria when returning results, and if the company is trading predominently in Ireland it will give you a slight advantage.

Regarding your note and SE / Domain-name relevance, yes it counts.
    For example do a search for 'pianos' in Google.ie, first site returned is a .ie domain, and just about all the results on the 1st and 2nd pages have 'piano' in the domain name itself.

Other SEO aspects like keyword strategy etc need to be considered, but plan the domain name first and build on it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

I went to register a domain name for a small company i am looking to set up only to find it is already owned but not used as such. It is not being used as a website as the name of the domain would suggest. This would suggest that the company are sitting on this domain name in order to make a profit.
    Possibly. If it is parked with just Pay Per Click advertising then it may well be making money, especially if it is a good generic term. It may also be that someone has registered the domain but has not got around to developing it yet. A lot of domains are registered and never used.
    If it is a valuable generic term or is making money, the registrant may not want to sell it or may want a large sum.

edit: just been looking at other domain names we could use. does anyone know where i can find out their viability when it comes to search engines optimisation so as to get max results?? I was told there is a google website that allows you to input your domain name and it will tell you how many hits or how high on the listing it will be??
    The site in question is http://www.google.com/trends but it only shows the search volume for various search terms. If you consider search terms to be the words in your domain name then it can be very useful. However it takes a lot more than just a good domain name to get to the top of the search engine results pages for a popular search term.

Another simpler method is to check the use of a domain in various extensions (ie/com/net etc). If you need to check the history of any domain name in ie/com/net/org/biz/info/mobi/asia/eu/co.uk/de you can use www.hosterstats.com to check it. It also shows the cross extension history of domains which can be used to check if a domain has been registered in other extensions. The most popular domains tend to be registered in all extensions. If you register the .ie of one of these popular domains then you may well lose traffic to the .com variant as the main domain extensions in Ireland are .ie, .com, .net, .co.uk. The .ie is very much the default extension for Ireland and if your market is Ireland then get the .ie domain.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Mickswizard

Hi guys,

I didn't want to start another thread about a related issue so I hope its not a problem that I ask a question here. It is inversely related to the OP.

Our company owns a domain name which we are not using at the moment but plan to as the company develops. A guy in the UK contacted us offering to buy it for €400. The managing director thought this was paltry and kind of wanted to keep the name anyway and told the guy we wanted €40,000 to release it. He didn't reply.

However, he put a hyphen in the name and went ahead anyway. So where ours was 123ABCDE.com (Not the actual domain name), his is 123-ABCDE.com. Is this kosher? Surely it will cause problems when we want to use our name? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have a read of this:
    http://www.icann.org/en/udrp/udrp.htm

For what it's worth, I think hyphens in a domain name aren't a good idea, as I want to be able to say a domain name or email address with a minimum of explaining dashes / hyphens and so on. If anything, I think you're likely to get more of his traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Is this kosher? Surely it will cause problems when we want to use our name? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Perfectly kosher.

If you wanted the variation, then you should have registered it too.

Unless a name is a registered trade mark, you've feck-all comeback on this.

There is some added "too-similar names" protection for a .ie, but for a .com you don't even have to prove you're entitled to it.

I'd reckon that your boss added to this by the bull**** request for €40,000; unless it's a very popular name with a high level of investment gone into promoting it, that's just pathetic attempt at extortion.

If he'd said "no, not for sale", then fair enough - it's your domain name.

But if someone had replied to me like that I would have been VERY tempted to get the closest name legally possible - not just because that was the name I wanted, but also because your boss was being an ass about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Mickswizard

Thanks guys. I think he over-estimated how much this other guy was making turnover-wise and didn't want to be ripped off. I think there was a LOT of scope for negotiation on the issue but as you say, he probably just pi$$ed the off. Oh well. we still have our domain and as Eoin says, we might get some of there traffic.

EDIT: Just thought of something else, could he register it as a trade mark if we have not done so and then demand that we hand it over or prohibit us from using it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

EDIT: Just thought of something else, could he register it as a trade mark if we have not done so and then demand that we hand it over or prohibit us from using it?

Not easily - no
    It's what's called a "reverse hijack"

Advertisement