Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor market at the Mulvey Centre, Carrick

• 26-02-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been? What's it like. Is the Mushroom farm one still on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I think you may be a little confused, the indoor market takes place about half a mile down the road from the Mulvey centre, I'm not sure if it's still on but I'll find out and let you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I heard an advert on Ocean fm for it and saw this on the net:
    http://local.vivastreet.ie/sales+carrick-on-shannon/mulvey-centre-indoor-market/21249677

magnumlady wrote: »
    I heard an advert on Ocean fm for it and saw this on the net:
    http://local.vivastreet.ie/sales+carrick-on-shannon/mulvey-centre-indoor-market/21249677
    They must have moved it to there so, it used to take place where they grew the mushrooms.

That's what I was wondering, if it was the same one as the mushroom farm or if the mushroom farm one was still running. I might get there one weekend for a look.

That's what I was wondering, if it was the same one as the mushroom farm or if the mushroom farm one was still running. I might get there one weekend for a look.
    I'll be passing it today so I'll see if there's many around.

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I'll be passing it today so I'll see if there's many around.

Thanks that'd be great:D

Thanks that'd be great:D
    Went by it today and there seemed to be a few around but the weird thing is that the indoor market is still going on at the mushroom place at the same time. I think that maybe the market that used to be on at the filling station might now be on in the Mulvey centre but I could bre wrong. Anyways,if you do come down on a Sunday there should be two indoor markets on :rolleyes:

Thanks for checking that out.
    So the filling station was isn't on anymore?
    It would have made more sense to keep that one running and move the mushroom farm one to the Mulvey Centre....oh well.
    I'll have a nosey there soon.
    Thanks again.

Thanks for checking that out.
    So the filling station was isn't on anymore?
    It would have made more sense to keep that one running and move the mushroom farm one to the Mulvey Centre....oh well.
    I'll have a nosey there soon.
    Thanks again.
    I don't think it is, the filling station was completely flooded and hasn't been open since afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Was there today. I found it quite overpriced for what kind of stuff was there. I mean i dont want to be overcharged for dvds especially when you can get them so cheaply in the likes of HMV. (and check that there inside the box whatever you do if you do purchase!!) Antiques- well I dont think you'l be getting a bargain, anything that is there people seem to think that it is worth more. :rolleyes:

Went up to the mushroom farm instead and its really kicking off there now. Stalls outside, terrific buzz and banter, great place for rummaging through old brick and brac and coming up with gems imo. The weather may have brought more folk out. Antiques-I got a good deal on an old Singer sewing machine there a few weeks ago.

Think the deal is that there was a fire within some of the tunnels before xmas and then some of the traders moved out and down to the Mulvey. But I could be wrong,

Anyway hope it helps. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks tuppence.
    I find with a lot of the car boot sales here that things are overpriced.
    I will get there one Sunday and have a look:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crisp_pete67

Hi all, I am one of the founders of the NEW Indoor Market at the Mulvey Centre, Carrick on Shannon!!

There seems to be a bit of confusion about it...

The Mulvey Centre Market was set-up as a seperate entity to both the Mushroom Tunnels and the Car-boot at the petrol station.

A number of the stallholders at the Mulvey Centre had in the past been so at the tunnels.

Between us due to the second fire in the space of 50 weeks, we had lost approx €40,000 - €50,000.

There was supposed to have been insurance cover, but that turned out to be incorrect.

That is why I found the location for the new market at the Mulvey Centre, to operate alongside the then still existing carboot at the petrol station.

Alas, due to the flooding, the carboot could not operate there for a time -it moved up to the tunnels. Now however, people are leaving the tunnels in their droves.

The petrol station is supposed to be re-opening in a couple of weeks time -only on Sundays!

At the Mulvey Centre Market, we are open Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to 5pm.

It is hoped in a few weeks time to be open on Fridays too, with a Farmers' Market. We are also looking into have a "Food Hall" and Cafe running too.

Also in a while we are planning to be running General Auctions.

Finally, the new Mulvey Centre Market was not set up to be just like an indoor carboot sale. It was set-up where you can get a variety of things from Award Winning Home Baking to Antiques and Collectables, Jewellery, Wedding and First Communion Dresses, to Fishing Gear, Bric-a-Brac and More!!

For all those interested, we, like any other market, are always looking for New Traders!!!

I hope this clarifies any queries with regards the Mulvey Centre Market.

Thanks for that and best of luck with it. It's a great idea. I wish Sligo would do something similar.

Hi there, further to my posting earlier this evening, I'd like to give you a bit more information -

The new indoor market at The Mulvey Centre in Carrick on Shannon has only been going since 12th December 2009. That's only 14 weeks.

In that time, yes there have been quiet days. Particularly in the beginning, while people were learning about the market's existance.

At the start we were open Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

We only stopped Fridays over the quiet period of Christmas and New Year that all markets experience.

Saturday is the quieter of the Saturday/Sunday opening days.

However, on a Sunday, from approx 10:20 till 15:30 hrs, we have averaged 2000 people through the market - thats 285 people per hour!!

With footfall like that, is it any wonder that most stallholders have done better in that time, than in 6+ months at the Mushroom Tunnels!!

Following the fire at the Mushroom Tunnels on 30/08/2009 - the second fire in 52 weeks, footfall went from about 1200 for the day, to approx 200!!

With a fall like that, the stallholders were having an excellent day if they even managed to raise the money to cover the cost of the stall alone.

Needless to say, all stallholders were fed up, and that is why we set-up our own market!

Feel free to call in, peruse the wheres, and maybe make a purchase or two...

To all those who are interested, the Indoor Market will we open both Saturdays and Sundays -EVERY WEEKEND from 10am to 5pm!

Also the Car-Boot Sale at the Petrol Station in Cortober, Carrick on Shannon will apparently be RE-OPENING this weekend, on Sunday 28th March 2010.

That'll mean you need only walk a few yards to go from one market to the other!!

Enjoy.... :D

Thanks that's great, hopefully I'll get there in the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brideonabudget

Hi, I'm also a trader/founder at the Mulvey Centre Indoor Market and was a trader at the Mushroom Tunnels prior to the fire. I lost over E8,000 due to it. However, since changing venues and rebuilding my stock things are looking up. Saturday is a quieter day than Sunday.

The items being sold here are of a better quality than your regular 'car boot' items, we are not a car boot sale, although we do have some car boot items. A lot of the things are new and qualify a fair price. However, you still get those who want everything for nothing or for less than you have paid for them yourself because "its only a market." We are here to make money after all, lol. I would kindly ask people to remember that we don't get our stock free and as registered businesses have to pay VAT & tax. For some of us, this is the only job we have.

We shall soon be opening the upstairs level of the market which will hold around 70 more stalls which will make this an excellent, large venue. We are on the look out for new traders who will be very welcome. If you are interested in joining us please call in and ask for Peter, Sue or Richard. Our daily & weekend rates are excellent. Call in, I'm sure you will pick up a couple of bargains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wild bunch

hi could you send info such as cost and procedure for setting up a stall at your market i am very interested about it thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brideonabudget

Hi, the procedure for setting up a stall at our market is simple. Just get in touch with me on 085 2842632. We would need to know what you are selling, this is because we like to keep a good selection of items. If everyone is selling the same sort of thing it is of no benefit to you the seller or the customer. Obviously, there is a small overlap of items which is to be expected. You would be allocated a space of 80 sq ft. At present you would need to supply your own table/stall. The premises are secure, alarmed and have security cameras. Our rates are E10 per day, making it just E20 for the weekend. You may leave everything on the premises if you wish, but please bear in mind, that you will be charged for the whole weekend if you do this even if you are not there. This is because we would be unable to use the pitch for anyone else. I hope this has been helpful to you. Get in touch if you need to know anything more.

Advertisement