Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currys TV and warranty

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

whiterebel wrote: »
    As posts go, it is difficult to find one so absolutely and totally wrong.....:D

So the start of my post, my reply to 91011, was wrong?

And as for the shop, what would you expect them to do? Just out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Unless this is your second ID here at boards, welcome to consumer issues. Generally pull apart anything you find to be incorrect with knowledge or fact, try to avoid attacking the poster and simply point out the flaws in their posts, though we all have moment here (especially me.)

To answer the question more directly, 91011 had to get solicitors involved to this almost certainly went above store level before that & yes I have had many issues with PC world in the past, they prey on those who don't have enough technical argument capability.

The shop I would expect to do no less then they are obliged to by law. Investigate then if applicable repair, replace or refund, same as many on Boards would now expect.

Its a great forum, don't be a stranger, take a look at this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

To me, yes. I have always found PC World, and Curry's too interested in selling extended warranties and knowing nothing about their products.

I would expect the shop to honour the Sales of Goods Act, its not difficult.[/B

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

To me, yes. I have always found PC World, and Curry's too interested in selling extended warranties and knowing nothing about their products.

I would expect the shop to honour the Sales of Goods Act, its not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

As for the OP, boo for Sony! Any goods purchased from a store are only guaranteed through the store's 12 month manufacturer warranty. Unless you took out an extended warranty they are under no obligation to help you, and most certainly they are not under the obligation to have your TV fixed free of charge, replaced or refunded. However, you could go into the store and ask them to send it to Sony to have it assessed by a professional engineer, who in turn would quote you a price for a repair! I'm sure if you went into the store and said this to them, they would be glad to help!

The store had no interest whatsoever in dealing with me. "Contact Sony, this is not our problem" was all I could get out of them, nothing else. They never said anything about getting it checked out. When I said that under Irish law they were obliged to do something, I got you shouldn't believe everything you read.

The fact that the manager didn't even identify herself when I asked to speak to the manager and sent me off to "customer services" instead tells a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

ch750536 wrote: »
    the OP should not have paid €30 but they chose to not deal with the retailer

Going to look for this to be waived. Its for him collecting the TV. I could have easily brought it to them but when I rang the guy said he would pick it up and never mentioned a fee for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

gramlab wrote: »
    The store had no interest whatsoever in dealing with me. "Contact Sony, this is not our problem" was all I could get out of them, nothing else. They never said anything about getting it checked out. When I said that under Irish law they were obliged to do something, I got you shouldn't believe everything you read.

The fact that the manager didn't even identify herself when I asked to speak to the manager and sent me off to "customer services" instead tells a lot.

This is were I completely side with you OP. The fact that they didn't offer any form of help is bad, and the fact that the manager wouldn't present him/herself is just unprofessional!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I had been planning to buy a fridge and TV soon and thought Id shell out the extra to buy from Currys.As it's local I presumed it would be easier to enforce my consumer rights if necessary. After reading this thread I will never buy from them again because Id be afraid I'd end up in the same situation as the OP and also on a point of principle.

If it's any consolation they've lost at least 2 sales on the basis of your post OP. I wonder when these shops will cop on and realise that the world has changed and that when they treat one customer poorly they can expect the reprecussions to spread much wider than the friends and family of the customer.

Advertisement