Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any tips for getting multiple discs out of a PS3?

• 11-12-2009 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

F*%£&@~G KIDS!

My 1.5year old has recently become aware of the PS3 and the fact that shiny discs go into the slot on it. He seems to be some way short of knowing exactly how many are supposed to go in, although he appears to be working on how many will fit and working back from there.

Last week I found one sticking halfway out, then when I pressed eject two more came out. Today I caught him at it again and I can see the edge of a disc just inside the slot but eject is doing nothing and it's anyone's guess how many are in there today.

So, any tips on how to tackle this? Was thinking maybe double sided tape on a knife to try snag the top ones until the eject starts spitting them out again. Otherwise, is the BR drive a sealed unit? Or would opening the PS3 give me access to where the discs go in?

TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If it's jammed the drive mechanism then there is nothing you can really do tbh. You could open up the PS3, take out the BR drive, open it and take the discs out that way.

Have you tried forcing an eject? Hold the eject button down for 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Best advert for contraception ever.

On-topic, holding down the eject button worked for me when I accidently forget I had a DVD in mine. Hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The blu-ray drive fairly well sealed. It can be accessed, but it may try your patience.

Tweezers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Double sided tape on a knife got the top three out, eject got the fourth one.

Has anyone come up with a lock for slot loading players, like the things you could get for VHS players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

milltown wrote: »
    Double sided tape on a knife got the top three out, eject got the fourth one.

Has anyone come up with a lock for slot loading players, like the things you could get for VHS players?

Put it somewhere high is always the easiest option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Cut their hands off ?

Yeah, I don't plan to have kids.......

The kids 18 months old. Put the PS3 3ft off the ground :confused:

Seriously. It's like asking "so I leave my knives lying on the ground and my kid keeps picking them up, what do I do? ... what. do. I. do???

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Seriously. It's like asking "so I leave my knives lying on the ground and my kid keeps picking them up, what do I do? ... what. do. I. do???

Is it?
    Is it really?
    :rolleyes:

Look, it's not a huge issue and he'll learn pretty quickly that its "bold" but I just posed the question to see if there's anything handy to do in the interim. Despite all the helpful suggestions I'm reluctant to mount my floor standing TV unit three feet up my living room wall.

Meanwhile, I'll try and keep the discs out of the way (and live in fear of what he'll try instead).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Is it?
    Is it really?
    :rolleyes:

Look, it's not a huge issue and he'll learn pretty quickly that its "bold" but I just posed the question to see if there's anything handy to do in the interim. Despite all the helpful suggestions I'm reluctant to mount my floor standing TV unit three feet up my living room wall.

Meanwhile, I'll try and keep the discs out of the way (and live in fear of what he'll try instead).

Leave your PS3 with me and you can call around the odd time and play.

When you having another kid??:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

best thing would be to keep the disks out of sight as u said. i wouldnt be inclined to put it up higher either as possibility of pulling down on top of child or being knocked and broken.
    another option might be to take the 'danger factor' out of it and show him how it works. 1 disk in, eject and so on. if a game is made of it, he'll prob get bored.
    or you could use a piece of tape to cover the slot when ur not using the ps3.
    luckily mine was in a closed unit when our little lad was that small but i did still have to keep everything out of sight for fear of small teeth marks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

If you can't move the PS3, put a thick rubber band or something around it perpendicular to the slot to block discs from being put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

My little one is 4 and as you say they learn pretty quickly that it's bold yours is probably a little young but i had a chat with mine and explained that she is more than welcome to watch her DVD's on the 'Big tellie' but that she should only do it if myself or mom are in the room.I then let her pop the disc in herself and she seems delighted with being all grown up and to my knowledge doesn't do it if I'm not around.In the interm i guess the only thing you can do is be vigilant and keep the discs out of his sight.Little rascals!:)

Gold star for Simon, silver for Johnny!
    Both good ideas but the rubber band edges it.
    iggy wrote: »
    When you having another kid??:D:D

Just waiting for 6 numbers to come up. Any day now I expect.

And what would you do with a second PS3 when yours is gathering dust? What is it now? 14 days? For shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

Here to help :cool: Love inventing little solutions like that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My mate had a similar problem with a dvd player, I turned it up side down and shook it a little and the discs came out. I would check youtube probably is a common problem.

I would keep the discs up high which would solve the problem too, be might stick other things in though. The same mate of mine came home to find the kids "ice skating" on dvds around the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

I'm in the same boat - at that age, they don't understand that they aren't allowed do it, so we just have to keep the disks out of reach, and power down the ps3 with the switch around the back. This week, he was trying circular gift tags - eek!

Since the only disc game I'm currently playing is mw2, I may just tape the slot closed with masking tape....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Just waiting for 6 numbers to come up. Any day now I expect.

And what would you do with a second PS3 when yours is gathering dust? What is it now? 14 days? For shame!

Put your trophies on the table....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I'm in the same boat - at that age, they don't understand that they aren't allowed do it, so we just have to keep the disks out of reach, and power down the ps3 with the switch around the back. This week, he was trying circular gift tags - eek!

Since the only disc game I'm currently playing is mw2, I may just tape the slot closed with masking tape....

If hes cute enough to stick in 2/3 discs at once, I dont think a bit of masking tape or a rubber band will stop him. I think some sort of cabinet you can lock is the way to go.

/shuts up
    seclachi wrote: »
    If hes cute enough to stick in 2/3 discs at once, I dont think a bit of masking tape or a rubber band will stop him. I think some sort of cabinet you can lock is the way to go.

Ah c'mon. That's a bit draconian don't you think? If the 5 year old mentioned in school that we keep his brother in a locked cabinet we'd have social services down on us like a ton of bricks!

I challenge you to a duel ..... *glove across the face*....:)
    seclachi wrote: »

you'd be very surprised, at that age the smallest deterent can put them off something
    prob is if the discs wont go there any more, god knows where they could end up

• Advertisement

i wouldnt be inclined to put it up higher either as possibility of pulling down on top of child or being knocked and broken.

:confused: The whole point of putting it up higher is to put it out of reach, if you are putting it up high enough so that the kid can reach it and pull it down on themselves then you're failing :pac:

I mean, ideally, a bit of classical conditioning could also work, as demonstrated here. ;)

cables

cables

Right, well if the kid is messing around with the cables at the back of the electronics I think there is a larger issue there than if the PS3 is able to be pulled off a shelf.

u obviously live in the wonderful no kids world

u obviously live in the wonderful no kids world

What is that? Are you saying the world of children has parents letting their kids mess around with the cables and plugs at the back of the TV?

I know when I was a toddler, my parents told me that when they couldn't supervise, we where locked out of the TV room to keep us from messing around at the back of the TV. I just find it odd that you are worried about a PS3 falling from 3ft off the ground, but not worried that the child would be, unsupervised, messing around with the cables at the back of the equipment. The mind boggles tbh.

jesus this is turning into a real battle - but since u cant understand ill respond

I would love to have a TV room personally, alas my living room is where we spend our time. Anyways, i never said the child would be at the back of the unit.
    a controller might be charging at the front, albeit it would prob come out before the unit would follow.
    someone may have their unit plugged into a socket at the side rather than right behind.
    there may be something else on the shelf that a child might pull at to get at the ps3.
    they may try to get up onto the unit, fail, pulling the ps3 down on top of them
    probably countless other situations that could happen, including them messing with a plug.
    and when u say unsupervised, let me assure you that unless you are staring at the child for every second they are awake, something can happen when you are looking the other direction. obviously common sense must prevail but i just pointed out a safety issue of raising the height of a heavy unit. dont know why you are dwelling on it so much to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lets not have any preaching in the thread.

Just kill the children and get on with it.

dont know why you are dwelling on it so much to be honest

Same here, I was about to ask you the same thing, lol :D You seem quite enthused to keep the topic going :pac:

To be fair, you are being pedantic with your reason for not having it off the ground, and creating situations which are easily avoided. I could just as easily say "I wouldn't necessarily recommend blocking the front with tape, the kid could peel it off, swallow it and choke on it"

If you are imaginative enough you can think up 101 different situations for each solutions that would, in turn, cause more problems. Elastic band :eek: they can take your eye out.

Anyway, after all is said, like you said, it would be simpler to just keep all the discs locked in a cabinet and out of reach instead, rather than using tape or an elastic band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

LOL , remember it well ...

My son ( 1.5yrs at the time) decided to put 3 DVDs into my front loader ( €800 worth) when I tried to get them out I got a wonderful (not) crunching noise , player destroyed!

Down to B&Q and picked up DVD player shelf x 3 .
    Now have LCD corner mounted with 3 shelves above , holding everything out of harms way.

Only problem now is rubbing jam&finger prints off LCD screen every 2 minutes!

Kids , you gotta love em ... They will be the ones who choose uoyr Nursing home.

M

• Advertisement

funny story... tonight I decided to pop in a dvd to watch in my HTPC. It's side loading (would really need a picture to illustrate) so I can't really see the tray, I just reach under where the HTPC is and put the dvd in the tray. Anyway, closed the tray, sat down... then all of a sudden I heard an almighty crunching and grating sound. Quickly went to "My Computer" and hit eject and reached under and pulled out 2 DVD's :pac:

Shook my head and said "oh poetic justice, you cruel mistress, why do you hound me so"

Advertisement