Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 - Training plan?

• 27-02-2015 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering does anyone have any good training plan for the Wicklow 200 for someone who is trying it for the first time.

I only started cycling last year and the most I did was the 130km Leinster loop (just over 4:30 hours). At the moment evenings are too short for cycling so aiming to do a bit in the gym and go for a long cycle in the weekends.

Any advice would be great. Been trying to work on core too to avoid backpain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Dapos wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering does anyone have any good training plan for the Wicklow 200 for someone who is trying it for the first time.

I only started cycling last year and the most I did was the 130km Leinster loop (just over 4:30 hours). At the moment evenings are too short for cycling so aiming to do a bit in the gym and go for a long cycle in the weekends.

Any advice would be great. Been trying to work on core too to avoid backpain.

When I did it in 2013 my training involved doing pretty much nothing until a panicked 130k the week before... I got on grand ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

colm18 wrote: »
    When I did it in 2013 my training involved doing pretty much nothing until a panicked 130k the week before... I got on grand ;-)

Ha, I might ignore that advise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

The total distance is I don't think is the problem. Yes a 130 or 150 k spin or two in the weeks leading up to it will be good to boost confidence But target some hill specific training. Particularly the endurance of a 4k climb. Learn to pace yourself and ignore those fitter or faster on the climbs. Two big climbs at the 120k mark will be the test. Also pace yourself carefully on the final 60k as there is still some climbing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

There's a training plan on the Sean Kelly tour website (http://www.theseankellytour.com/trainforit/) - I'd say it's applicable for the Wicklow 200. The main point is to gradually increase the maximum distance you cycle. I did it last year and tried to ensure I put in somewhere close to 200k a week by the time I got to May. My commute is 55k, so I commuted to work 2-3 days a week and did a long spin in the mountains on a Sat/Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

lissard wrote: »
    There's a training plan on the Sean Kelly tour website (http://www.theseankellytour.com/trainforit/) - I'd say it's applicable for the Wicklow 200. The main point is to gradually increase the maximum distance you cycle. I did it last year and tried to ensure I put in somewhere close to 200k a week by the time I got to May. My commute is 55k, so I commuted to work 2-3 days a week and did a long spin in the mountains on a Sat/Sun.

Thanks very much for this. The link isn't working but I found it here:

http://www.theseankellytour.com/media/itsafeeling/media/topattractions/getoutthere/skthomepage/trainforit/Suggested%20Training%20Programme%20160k%202015.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement