Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best way to remove Make-up?

• 12-03-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

When it comes to the question of removing your make-up at the end of the day everybody's opinions differ to what it should be.
    What is the best way?
    1. Cleanser and toner
    2. Face cloth and hot water
    3. Face wipes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

This is my routine. Think it works pretty well if I do say so myself :p

- Take off eye make up with the Boots cucumber eye makeup remover (it's SO good! And really cheap too).
    - Use face wipe to take off everything else. Usually just use whatever ones I find on offer,
    - Cleanse, tone, moisturise!

I don't think you can rely on the face wipes by themselves to take all make up off tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It really depends on your own skin which of 1 or 2 you prefer. I'm an option two gal, personally.

Wipes are really only for emergencies where it's a case of using a wipe or not taking your make up off at all. They'll drag the skin off you eventually, particularly around your eyes, no matter how "wet" they are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I just wash mine off in the shower with an Olay foaming wash.. then just tone with cold water and moisturise..

Works for me..

I used to do the whole cleansing milk, toner, moisturiser routine but I found it made my skin quite oily..

xzanti wrote: »
    I used to do the whole cleansing milk, toner, moisturiser routine but I found it made my skin quite oily..

This. I have very oily skin too, so now I just use the Boots Beautiful Skin foaming wash and I'm done in about 30 seconds, it rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I find those foaming wash things too much trouble :D I find facial wipes the best and they don't make my skin greasy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I use benefit foamingly clean, If im home from pub tho its just wipe of excess with a wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 blue.morpho

I´m using eau micellaire triple action cleansing water- Sephora. Try with this, it´s really great. I don´t need anything else after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I use facial wipes and then wash my face with my Neutrogena gentle exfiolating facial wash.

I find I need to wash my face to get all the make up off, wipes on their own aren't enough. And I don't even wear much make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Apparently using a toner is pretty much pointless these days. I read somewhere that toners were invented back when cleansers left a residue or something on the skin and a toner was needed to remove it. Cleansers these days don't do that though so toners aren't necessary anymore. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 emigrant36

All of the above!! After reading so many good reviews about no7 hot cloth cleanser on this board I decided to try it and I'm in love! It really takes off all my make-up and I just love the luxury of the warm face cloth :) I do tone afterwards..... But my skin is oily in places.

After a night in the pub, it's face wipes... Which are ten times better than leaving make-up on I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

1. Cheap brand make-up wipe (If I'm wearing makeup)
    2. Hot cloth and Burt's Bees soap bark cleanser
    3. Cotton pad rinsed with rosewater
    4. My night moisturizer

There's a lot to be said for giving your skin "time off" from make-up as well, makes a big difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 blue.morpho

also i could recommend almond oil :) just put some on wet cotton pad and clean your face with it. but like i said i prefer eau micellaire. put it on cotton pad. it takes off all impurities, mascara, everything. and after you don´t have nothing more to clean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I take off heavy make up with Boots own brand cleanser (the one that costs about €2). Then I cleanse my entire face with Dermalogica Precleanse, pat dry and apply moisturiser. I don't use a toner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Nivea unscented eye make up remover, then their face make up remover, after I a gentle toner, use a serum, let that soak in then eye and face cream!

Every second night I'll also use a gentle face wash and at least once a week use a good (but gentle) exfoliating wash and a face mask):)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Claim The Frame

There's a lot to be said for giving your skin "time off" from make-up as well, makes a big difference!

Ya I try not to wear make-up everyday and it does make all the difference to my skin.

Thanks for all the suggestions I'm going to try a few different methods!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I started the oil cleansing method (OCM) about a month ago and am delighted so far. I use a blend of castor oil and extra virgin olive oil. Unless something nasty like a breakout happens, I'll save a fortune in cleansers. I use a hot facecloth to take it off and it removes everything. And I don't even need to moisturise afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I prefer a hot cloth cleanser or gel/oil cleanser. cant stand face wipes,they do more damage to my skin then sleeping with makeup on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Mine varies depending on if I'm exercising in the evening or not... usually I use Boots Eye Makeup Remover (amazing stuff) followed by cleanser (just started using Boots Hot Cloth, so far so good) and then moisuriser.

If I'm exercising in the evening I'll usually remove makeup with a makeup wipe and then go through the cleansing/moisturising routine later on. Not sure if this is a good thing to do or not- obviously exercising with a face of makeup is a terrible idea but I'm not sure if the wipes are doing me much good either as I occasionally hear that they're not great for skin in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I generally take off my make up using No. 7 Hot Cloth Cleanser. If I have a lot of eye make up on, I'll use a Boots face wipe first and follow with the cleanser. I never use wipes alone, my face just doesn't feel clean without water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I use a hot face cloth and a foaming face wash (usually what ever is on offer) I never moisturise at night as it makes my eyes go puffy. If i'm wearing heavy eye make up I use a face wipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I use Boots organic eye make up remover when I have make up on .. it's alright, not amazing and I do need a better one.

I wash my face with Vichy Essentielles facewash (love it, so unabrasive for 4.95) tone either with Sanctuary pore refining toner or MONU multi active toner and moisturise.. sometimes in the morning I don't need to wash again, I spash water and apply my MONU Recovery Balm, which is my holy grail at the moment! I use Nivea Pure & Natural with Argan Oil at night.

It's working well, skin is clearer and I'm being fussy about what products I use due to ingredients.

I have Liz Earle set winging it's way to me now so I'm vurrry excited to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I take off my eye make-up with baby oil..it removes everything, and I wear lots of waterproof mascara!

I use La Roche Posay cleanser with a hot cloth...my skin always feels amazing after. I then tone and moisturise with La Roche Posay too.

I have oily acne prone skin and rarely break out anymore.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I started a make up corse on Tuesday and everyone seemed appalled that i mainly just use face wipes :( i kind of used being a working mam as an excuse to myself but after the corse i ran out and bought some reasonable priced cleaner and toner and a good eye make up remover!

Here's to happy cleansing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I use the boots wipes as well, I think you have to wipe to get the mascara etc off and the majority of the makeup, but it's really not enough on its own - I follow with Garnier cleanser, one for use without water, and even after wiping when I use the cleanser the cotton pad is still all make up. I have a boots tea tree scrub that I use twice a week in the shower for a really deep cleanse. I won't wear make up at all if I've nowhere to be that day.
    Then I slap on loads of moisturiser before bed. Speaking of which, anyone recommend any cheap but good moisturisers for really dry skin? I use Dove stuff at the mo but my face is so dry that is soaks right in and I've to add another thick layer after 5 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I think its way too expensive to use wipes regularly and they sting so much. I really didn't think this many people used them daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I think its way too expensive to use wipes regularly and they sting so much. I really didn't think this many people used them daily.

Me neither, kinda surprised they're so popular!
    The Cool wrote: »
    Speaking of which, anyone recommend any cheap but good moisturisers for really dry skin? I use Dove stuff at the mo but my face is so dry that is soaks right in and I've to add another thick layer after 5 minutes!

Aqueous cream. A tube costs about 2.60 in Boots. It's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't find them that expensive, but I'd regularly stock up in Boots when they have offers on. I've never found they sting :eek:

I do try different cleansers sometimes. I've used the hot cloth cleanser, but I've still got half of it left :rolleyes: I just don't go to the effort I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

If I'm wearing mascara I'll use an eye makeup remover, followed by a hot cloth cleanser.

I don't use toner, but I do use a clean muslin cloth and cold water, which also double checks the makeup is removed completely. I use the cleanser every night, even when I'm not wearing makeup, and in the mornings I use a very mild foaming wash in the shower to get off the little oil or grime you accumulate at night.

I'm the kind of person that needs a simple routine or else I won't be consistent. I've never gone to bed with makeup on, but thats probably because I rarely drink! :)

Seriously, lads, the wipes will destroy the skin around your eyes. if you've a lot of eye make-up that you need to take off, you want something as oily as possible to avoid dragging on the skin. Lancome Bi-facil is excellent, as is the No.7 one. Even baby oil would be better than a wipe.

They really aren't meant for every day use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

This is my routine for removing makeup/cleansing skin, it might help!

Normal Evening:
    1)Boots No.7 Cleanse and Care Eye Makeup Remover-brilliant for removing eye makeup and it doesn't sting or irritate my eyes at all.
    2)Yes To Carrots Can You C Me Eye and Face Makeup Remover-I use this to remove the bulk of my face makeup. Just massage it on and rinse off with warm water-it's brilliant!
    3)Boots Traditional Skincare Cold Cream-I use this to cleanse my face and remove any last traces of makeup-it's soooooo gentle and hydrating.
    4)Pharmacy Brand Rosewater-I use this as a toner and also to remove any tiny traces of makeup that may have been left behind (usually there aren't any)
    5)Serum, moisturizer, eye cream.

Late Night or if I'm not feeling well:
    1)Same as above.
    2)Baby wipe to remove the bulk of my makeup.
    3)Olay Daily Facials Cleansing Cloths-These are dry cloths that lather up when exposed to water. Just sweep over your face to remove makeup and clean your face.
    4)I usually just leave it there and properly exfoliate and cleanse in the morning.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement