Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fast growing willow for firewood

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭ Selena Incalculable Self-service

Smeeeeeee wrote: »
    Well spotted!! 100 cost €27 on ebay so €54 total for 200.

Cheers, sorry for all the questions, its just something I'd be interested in doing myself at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Smeeeeeee

No problem, glad to help. That's kind of the reason for the blog, and to help with my memory loss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Hi Smeeee, nice blog.... as can be seen from this thread I am doing exactly the same and am about 4-5 years ahead of you.
    My first batch of 500 should be ready for harvesting but I think I am going to leave them longer. I have no interest in chippings but would like mini logs.
    I think I will change from having 4x500 in rotation every 4 years to a 6 or 7 years rotation with less (but thicker) each time. This doesn't bother me as my wood burner is not the main heat source or hooked up to the central heating.

Hi There,

A couple of quick questions fro you!

How thick are your stems after 4 years? And on average how many stems have you got on each tree?

Like you I'm looking for thicker logs, ideally 75-100mm so I wont have to split them. just cut, stack and burn!!

Any idea what variety you planted?

Thanks,

Tim

Well, after 1 year I did what I call copparding.... not quite coppicing or pollarding.... I cut them all down to about 90 cm high. So the first batch have had 4 years since then..... they all grew between 4-8 stems. In order to plant my last set of 500 I thinned down this first set of 500 to 4-5 stems each, in an effort to have thicker stems, rather than just a thick trunk and many thin rods.

TBH I thought it would all be a lot thicker. I have some trunks below 90cm that are probably 10cm in diameter but not all. Some of the stems coming from them are thick enough to be considered mini logs, but with the height if the willow it's obvious that I will have many lengths that I will just chop up into kindling wood, or use as rods for fencing or something!

So at the moment I would say I could coppice them, and have the trunk about 90-100cm for about 90cm length and then 4-5 stems of varying thicknesses.

The first 500 I planted were a hybrid variety from Bow Hayes trees (https://www.bowhayestrees.co.uk/trees-hedges/trees-by-range/hybrid-willow) and grew very fast. Sets 2,3,4 were a 5 species mix from Mammoth (https://mammothwillow.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=73&zenid=up50fno88skou8tc9bb9at1391) not sure if mine are the same as listed here. They have not been as fast but I'm not sure if it's the cold spring/summers we have had or the species. They are getting there though.

Of the 2000 I have planted only a bare handful didn't take. I strimmed a few dozen by accident but who's counting....

I am not sure if I should pollard for a few iterations and end up with massive trunks I can then coppice for proper logs... and let the process restart. Like you I am 'copparding' at 90cms to 100cms in order to make manual harvesting easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just out of interest are you drying them out and if so how ?

ted1 wrote: »
    Just out of interest are you drying them out and if so how ?

Yes I plan to dry them as follows. Cut them in October/November and dry outside in full lengths (stacked to allow airflow through the pile), then in March/April I'll cut them to size and store under cover (log shed with gaps in walls and floor) for the summer. That system works well with all my other wood types (pine, fir, hazel, sycamore, ash, holly etc.).

Some people say willow takes a little longer to dry out, so will have to see how it goes.

Why are you cutting in Oct/Nov.... would you not wait until January/Feb for the 'real' winter when they are dormant?

I took a few photos yesterday to show the progress of my oldest set.

hCQheop.jpg

HaLllNa.jpg

hSG3VNa.jpg

oTYR18T.jpg

lxPKWmA.jpg

Wow, That's after 4 years? looks to be some descent 2" - 3" stems in that lot.

Great pics, many thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement