Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build for College

• 21-05-2015 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all, been trying to come up with a PC build for a while now but can't make my mind up. I have just finished my first year of a computer science course in UL and I'm looking to build a PC for college work as well as gaming. It would be required to be able for programming high level and lower level and I'd also like to be able to run multiple operating systems on it if possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. What is your budget? 700-800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Programming, college work and gaming.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Just Keyboard and mouse.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes, not included in budget.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Preferably not.

8. How can you pay? Card, transfer, paypal etc.

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Should be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €175
    16 Gb RAM €100
    H97 mb €80
    500w PSU €50
    1tb HDD €55
    Nanoxia DS3 €70
    GTX 960 €210
    Crucial BX100 250gb €90

30 over budget or so, could be nearer depending on parts. Drop SSD if you can't stretch.

Is CPU strong enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mhasty

i5 4460 €175
    16 Gb RAM €100
    H97 mb €80
    500w PSU €50
    1tb HDD €55
    Nanoxia DS3 €70
    GTX 960 €210
    Crucial BX100 250gb €90

30 over budget or so, could be nearer depending on parts. Drop SSD if you can't stretch.

Is CPU strong enough?

Thanks for the reply. That build looks good. This is my first build so I'm not sure exactly what I need

thinking of swapping the i5 out for a xeon. any thoughts?

Xeon would be a step up for CPU intensive tasks. If gaming is your most intensive task then the i5 is grand, but a Xeon certainly isn't a bad call. 1231v3 is €250 roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mhasty wrote: »
    thinking of swapping the i5 out for a xeon. any thoughts?

Really doubt you have the use case for it. Your college work wont be that parallelized or that heavy, a ULV i5 would do you fine.

• Advertisement

Thinking of this as my final build. Will it be ok?
    (rounded prices)

i5-4460... €180
    r280X... €230
    ASRock H97 Pro4... €85
    SeaGate 1TB HDD.. €50
    Crucial 250GB SSD.. €85
    Corsair Carbide case.. €50
    16GB crucial ram.. €100
    Corsair 450W PSU.. €40

Roughly comes in at €820 on hwvs after going through Geizhals. Is there any other ways to get money off? Thanks for your help

Thats about it. Which carbide is that? Don't think the cheap ones are much good iirc

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01. Ya looking online the reviews aren't great. Can you recommend some good cheap cases?

Antec One is about 40, Nanoxia DS3 is 65 last I checked, real nice case, love mine.

Advertisement