Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gym closed down..How can I get my money back?

Options
  • 13-01-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey! So I joined a gym at November and paid for a whole year. The gym closed down at mid December. I talked to the owner on Facebook and he said he is bankrupt and offered me personal training sessions with him exchange to the membership. I really like to have the 125 euro back as I cannot afford to join a new gym. What to do? He doesn't want to pay back the money, I wouldn't mind waiting for him to get the money but he tries to have an excuse not to pay.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

125 euro for the whole year??? Is that a typo?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you paid by credit card then you can claim to be reimbursed for the unused portion of your membership from your bank, rather than the gym owner. I did this in the past in similar circumstances and it was all pretty painless once I filled in a form and sent a copy of the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 justmaria

125 euro is around what he owns me and no I paid with cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You joined a gym in Nov and it closed a month later. I would suspect that the owner knew he was going to be closing down.

I know... He was even advertising the gym a week before he closed down. Not cool at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

justmaria wrote: »
    I know... He was even advertising the gym a week before he closed down. Not cool at all.

But not unprecedented I'm afraid. I don't think you have much chance. You will be well down the queue of unsecured creditors.
    Sympathies but can't offer you a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A guy runs a gym and accepts money in cash from someone and then closes the gym a month later and offers personal training sessions???

I would stay well clear

A guy runs a gym and accepts money in cash from someone and then closes the gym a month later and offers personal training sessions???

I would stay well clear

I'm sure like all struggling businesses, they guy was working day and night and trying everything he could to save it. Blaming him for taking money while trying to rescue his business is a bit unfair; I doubt he has it stashed away.

I think him offering personal training as compensation is actually pretty honorable and decent of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

First Up wrote: »
    I'm sure like all struggling businesses, they guy was working day and night and trying everything he could to save it. Blaming him for taking money while trying to rescue his business is a bit unfair; I doubt he has it stashed away.

I think him offering personal training as compensation is actually pretty honorable and decent of him.

The honourable and decent thing is to refund the money. Did he tell the OP that he was struggling and working day and night to keep the business afloat before he took the money?

I don't think it was decent nor honorable from him, I had to wrote him a few times before he even said a thing. He really just tried to get away with it :)

• Advertisement

The honourable and decent thing is to refund the money. Did he tell the OP that he was struggling and working day and night to keep the business afloat before he took the money?

Nope he never even said a thing when he closed down. Only a post on Facebook saying he close down, nothing about what is gonna happen to the old members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

name and shame

Yeah, telling prospective customers he was in trouble was really going to bring in business. He was trying to keep it going remember.
    Unless the guy is sitting on a beach somewhere, it is pretty likely the OP's money went on paying staff, paying rent, paying suppliers or paying the bank. I doubt he has a pile of cash available for refunds.
    By offering personal training he is offering to work off the debt, using his skills. If he has no money, what else would you expect him to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@GeneralC - Please familiarise yourself with this forum before posting again. Naming and shaming is not a recommended approach here

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

This is how businesses operate, gym or otherwise.

It might not seem fair but that's just how it is. He is also under no obligation to offer you personal training so if he did consider yourself lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

justmaria wrote: »
    125 euro is around what he owns me and no I paid with cash.

I never understand why people pay cash for these kind of things. A few years ago my gym (a chain) went into liquidation. I only paid five weeks previously. On my credit card, so got a pro rata refund. People who paid by cash or debit card - some only a few days prior to closing - were left high and dry.

I never understand why people pay cash for these kind of things. A few years ago my gym (a chain) went into liquidation. I only paid five weeks previously. On my credit card, so got a pro rata refund. People who paid by cash or debit card - some only a few days prior to closing - were left high and dry.

They didn't have credit card paying option so I had no choice :D But thanks I will know better next time.

Advertisement