Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cups & Shields

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Can anyone link me something to explain these comps and how to get into them (is it only the choosing few)

Id like to get involved!!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Get involved through your club, most times you have to go for trials for teams within the club itself, very enjoyable experience!

dar_cool wrote: »
    Get involved through your club, most times you have to go for trials for teams within the club itself, very enjoyable experience!

Thanks for info mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Jeez, the metropolitan section for the Barton Shield must be feeling hard done by. Stackstown is the qualifying venue this year, as opposed to Royal Dublin for the provincial!

At least last year I got a couple of (practice) rounds on Powerscourt (not yet of adequate ability to play the main event unfortunately), but Portmarnock would've been even nicer..

First world problems I know, but c'mon Leinster Branch, get the finger out! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Yeah, Stackstown, Slade Valley and Corballis for Barton Shield, Junior Cup and Senior Cup in the Metropolitan Area.

Usually one or two not-great courses, but that's a bit of a perfect storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

Just wondering how these draws are made?

I realise distance from home club is factored in some way but still seams that my home club play the same half dozen or so clubs over and over again.

Most of the clubs in the Dublin metropolitan section are all near enough to each other yet group mainly geographically North/south/west side. While its nice playing courses you know the variety would spice things up a bit i reckon.

Also Looking at this years (2014) Pierce Purcell Draw, some venues have 14/16 teams while one has 8.
    Huge advantage for a home club to finish top 2 of 8 and win one match over top 4 of 16 and win 2 matches in my opinion

Dossy wrote: »
    Can anyone link me something to explain these comps and how to get into them (is it only the choosing few)

Id like to get involved!!

Cheers

Quick Summary for you,

Barton Shield, 2 Pairs of Foresomes off scratch No H/C restrictions.
    Jimmy Bruen, 5 Pairs of foresomes off scratch, Min H/C 6 Min Combined 17
    Pierse Purcell, 5 Pairs of foresomes off scratch, Min H/C 12 Min Combined 27
    Senior Cup, 5 Singles off scratch, No H/C restrictions
    Junior Cup, 5 Singles off scratch, Min H/C 5
    Barton Cup, 5 Pairs of foresomes off scratch, Min Combined 14
    Leinster 4 ball, over 35's +18 h/c
    Metro/Provincial Towns 9 Singles (5 home/4 away by draw) Min H/C 9

H/C taken at lowest from previous year, 3 Qualifying cards needed (may be slightly different for some comps)

Ronney wrote: »
    Quick Summary for you,

Barton Shield, 2 Pairs of Foresomes off scratch No H/C restrictions.
    Jimmy Bruen, 5 Pairs of foresomes off scratch, Min H/C 6 Min Combined 17
    Pierse Purcell, 5 Pairs of foresomes off scratch, Min H/C 12 Min Combined 27
    Senior Cup, 5 Singles off scratch, No H/C restrictions
    Junior Cup, 5 Singles off scratch, Min H/C 5
    Barton Cup, 5 Pairs of foresomes off scratch, Min Combined 14
    Leinster 4 ball, over 35's +18 h/c
    Metro/Provincial Towns 9 Singles (5 home/4 away by draw) Min H/C 9

H/C taken at lowest from previous year, 3 Qualifying cards needed (may be slightly different for some comps)

Thanks very much for info,

For the Pierse Purcell i get the min H/C is 12, is the max H/C 27 for all 4 player in that foursome?? Or is it max 27 for the Team, 2 lads out of same club

Sorry if this seems stupid but only getting into this, only started playing comps this year so trying to figure them out aswell,

Thanks in Advance

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

For the Pierse Purcell i get the min H/C is 12, is the max H/C 27 for all 4 player in that foursome?? Or is it max 27 for the Team, 2 lads out of same club

Sorry if this seems stupid but only getting into this, only started playing comps this year so trying to figure them out aswell,

Thanks in Advance

Dave

It's max 27 for each pairing from the club so for example a 12 handicapper playing with a 16 is fine but if you had a 14 and a 16 their handicap is too high at 28.

• Advertisement

Thanks in Advance

Dave

Min Combined is 27 per pair, eg a 12+15 or 13+14, can be more eg a 18+19 but as the matches are played off scratch would be a disadvantage. Its off last years lowest handicap so if the likes of a 14 H/c off 10 come May is ideal.

Most of the comps have a qualifying round, eg each Foresomes pair plays 18 holes strokes and the best 4/5 cards taken. Clubs then ranked with top 4 through to match play

Min Combined is 27 per pair, eg a 12+15 or 13+14, can be more eg a 18+19 but as the matches are played off scratch would be a disadvantage. Its off last years lowest handicap so if the likes of a 14 H/c off 10 come May is ideal.

Most of the comps have a qualifying round, eg each Foresomes pair plays 18 holes strokes and the best 4/5 cards taken. Clubs then ranked with top 4 through to match play

Cheers, Appreciate the info,
    ill have to work towards 2015 so as im at 22.8 and only joined a club last year!!

Just wondering how these draws are made?

I realise distance from home club is factored in some way but still seams that my home club play the same half dozen or so clubs over and over again.

Most of the clubs in the Dublin metropolitan section are all near enough to each other yet group mainly geographically North/south/west side. While its nice playing courses you know the variety would spice things up a bit i reckon.

Also Looking at this years (2014) Pierce Purcell Draw, some venues have 14/16 teams while one has 8.
    Huge advantage for a home club to finish top 2 of 8 and win one match over top 4 of 16 and win 2 matches in my opinion

Yeah, its very repetitive over the years. I can only imagine its a follow on from years ago, pre-motorways etc, when travel took longer, and there wasnt multiple cars in most families.

With the all-in-one venues, you'd also be putting clubs at a disadvantage by sending them to a further away, less familiar course. Their neighbour may get a local course they know really well.

I don't see any excuse for the likes of Barton Cup though. There just seems to be little groups of 5 local clubs that get each other every year! There would be very little issue with expanding the R1 draw, rather than having the same old niggly little fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Is the Barton format where result goes by holes won? As in a pair may be up 5 with 4 holes to play but the match continues until the 18th unlike traditional matchplay where the game would finish there and then with the result being 5&4

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭royalcarlowgc

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Senior Cup is on same weekend as my wedding!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Senior Cup is on same weekend as my wedding!

Looks like the Wedding is been put back so!! :D

big_drive wrote: »
    Is the Barton format where result goes by holes won? As in a pair may be up 5 with 4 holes to play but the match continues until the 18th unlike traditional matchplay where the game would finish there and then with the result being 5&4

There's 2 Bartons - Cup and Shield.

The Shield is national, off scratch so the lowest guys in a given club will play. In the match play stages it's 2 foursomes matches and yes, you keep playing until there's an aggregate result over the two games. So you may lose 3 down after 18 holes, but your mates get to 4 up after 18 so you win over all.

Barton Cup is Leinster only and is the standard match play type. It's any handicap, but the pair can't be lower than 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DiegoWorst

They could've given a bit more time between the Jimmy Bruen and Junior Cup qualifying for the Metropolitan area.

Cheers, Appreciate the info,
    ill have to work towards 2015 so as im at 22.8 and only joined a club last year!!

There are other interclub comps for higher handicaps, Straffan Cup etc.
    Good to get involved, as its a great way of getting to know people in your club, and it really helps your game.

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    They could've given a bit more time between the Jimmy Bruen and Junior Cup qualifying for the Metropolitan area.

Yeah, but in reality there's probably only 1, or a max of 2 JB players in a JC team that's actually going to compete for qualification.

If a lot of your Junior Cup team are eligible for Jimmy Bruen, you're better off focusing on the latter.

Any team with a chance of qualifying in Junior Cup will have mostly 5s, even a recently cut 4 or two.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but in reality there's probably only 1, or a max of 2 JB players in a JC team that's actually going to compete for qualification.

If a lot of your Junior Cup team are eligible for Jimmy Bruen, you're better off focusing on the latter.

Any team with a chance of qualifying in Junior Cup will have mostly 5s, even a recently cut 4 or two.

It depends on the club.

A team of say 2 x 5 h/caps plus 3 x 6 h/caps could compete very well in the JC qualifying stages.

The scheduling of both so close together will tax a number of clubs, you may find some of them pulling out of the JC, as you suggest.

It depends on the club.

A team of say 2 x 5 h/caps plus 3 x 6 h/caps could compete very well in the JC qualifying stages.

I wouldn't be putting money on that team to qualify in strokes and then win 3 matches, but that aside, it assumes the 3 guys off 6 will be in JB with 3 guys off 11. What if there isn't 3 good 11s? Or there's better 9+8 or 10+7 options?

If one of the 6s isn't in JB, worst case scenario two guys have to play in successive tournaments. Not the end of the world.

I think you're gearing this towards clubs who only have a handful of single figure players, and they play everything. All I'm saying is, in that case, they're unlikely to be competitive in everything. Far more likely to hit on good combos for Jimmy Bruen or Barton Cup, where anyone can do well with a good group.

Junior Cup (and Senior Cup) is a less level playing field - you either have the players or you don't.

There are other interclub comps for higher handicaps, Straffan Cup etc.
    Good to get involved, as its a great way of getting to know people in your club, and it really helps your game.

Ya exactly, great way to get involved in the club itself, ill check out that Straffan Cup!!
    Cheers for that might get to play competitive golf after all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Ya exactly, great way to get involved in the club itself, ill check out that Straffan Cup!!
    Cheers for that might get to play competitive golf after all!!

Some events have age limits too so worth checking that out. I think the Straffan might be over 40s.

Some events have age limits too so worth checking that out. I think the Straffan might be over 40s.

Ah ****e :mad:

I got some info off a club member there in tue last few days saying im eligable for Pierce Purcell Team,

Im convinced im not cos of been 22.8 for the previous year 2013 , ive played at least 9 comp rounds according to Golfnet (think these are Qualifing rounds..??)

Now im 17.4 and none the wiser of whats going on....??

I got some info off a club member there in tue last few days saying im eligable for Pierce Purcell Team,

Im convinced im not cos of been 22.8 for the previous year 2013 , ive played at least 9 comp rounds according to Golfnet (think these are Qualifing rounds..??)

Now im 17.4 and none the wiser of whats going on....??

Anyone who was no lower than 12 last year is eligible. You play in pairs with a combined of at least 27 eg a 12 and a 15 or 13 and 14. there is nothing against a club putting out a 23 and 28 say for example but they would be at a hugy disadvantage as everyone plays off scratch.

At 17 your probably at the upper end but come May if your playing like a 15 H/C you would be in with a good shot of selection

Anyone who was no lower than 12 last year is eligible. You play in pairs with a combined of at least 27 eg a 12 and a 15 or 13 and 14. there is nothing against a club putting out a 23 and 28 say for example but they would be at a hugy disadvantage as everyone plays off scratch.

At 17 your probably at the upper end but come May if your playing like a 15 H/C you would be in with a good shot of selection

But what about the previous year thing then?
    Is the previous year only to make people eligible?
    Then up to them to get lower, at the time of the comp do you go off your handicap at that current time?

But what about the previous year thing then?
    Is the previous year only to make people eligible?
    Then up to them to get lower, at the time of the comp do you go off your handicap at that current time?

Yea previous year is just for eligibility. You can be low single figures on the day as long as you were now lower than 12 last year.

On the day everyone plays off scratch regardless of handicap

• Advertisement

Yea previous year is just for eligibility. You can be low single figures on the day as long as you were now lower than 12 last year.

On the day everyone plays off scratch regardless of handicap

Oh right im ok so, cos my 17 is at the upper end as you said, 16 is a good target so
    Thought i was screwed at 23 ( i understand now that if i was still 23 i would be )

Advertisement