Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen bike

• 25-11-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

I could have sworn there was a thread here to post bikes stolen in Blanch but can't seem to find it? Anyways, my boyfriend's bike was stolen last night. It was locked to a railings directly outside my front door in Whitestown. He found the lock in the field beside us it had been clipped off

988773_10152055991754617_1529105781_n.jpg Looked like this.

Is there even any point in reporting it to the guards? So many of my friends have had bikes stolen from outside train stations/college/shops etc and nothing ever came of it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

rawn wrote: »
    I could have sworn there was a thread here to post bikes stolen in Blanch but can't seem to find it? Anyways, my boyfriend's bike was stolen last night. It was locked to a railings directly outside my front door in Whitestown. He found the lock in the field beside us it had been clipped off

Is there even any point in reporting it to the guards? So many of my friends have had bikes stolen from outside train stations/college/shops etc and nothing ever came of it

Reporting to the Guards wont get your bike back but it will go into the statistics for crime in the area, So do report it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yes, report it. And I hope you didn't handle the lock you found. Good chance the scumbag wasn't expecting you to find it in the field and may have left fingerprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Yes, report it. And I hope you didn't handle the lock you found. Good chance the scumbag wasn't expecting you to find it in the field and may have left fingerprints.

I highly doubt the guards would fingerprint it. Even if they did, it wouldn't matter seeing as it was lying in a field where anyone could touch it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

Bikes theft is a big problem all across the city but your bike is only as safe as the lock(s) protecting it.
    What type of lock was it?

A coil lock, no idea what brand but think it was in the €40-€50 argos price range

• Advertisement

A coil lock, no idea what brand but think it was in the €40-€50 argos price range

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I highly doubt the guards would fingerprint it. Even if they did, it wouldn't matter seeing as it was lying in a field where anyone could touch it
    It'll take them a few weeks to send the forensics guy out, but they will if you request it. And it just has to have the fingerprints of a known criminal.

But hey...it's not my bike.

It'll take them a few weeks to send the forensics guy out, but they will if you request it. And it just has to have the fingerprints of a known criminal.

But hey...it's not my bike.

Forensics are worth nothing if it's lying or in public. The known criminal just has to say he saw it in the grass, picked it up and dropped it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

Dont waste money on a good lock, I had a kryptonite lock on my bike, and it was also locked in a bike cage. The thieves cut through the bike cage and used an angle grinder to cut the bike stand. Bike pinched with lock still attached to bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

knealecat wrote: »
    Dont waste money on a good lock, I had a kryptonite lock on my bike, and it was also locked in a bike cage. The thieves cut through the bike cage and used an angle grinder to cut the bike stand. Bike pinched with lock still attached to bike.

How did you lock the bike? Through the rear wheel and frame?

OP, sorry to hear about it, but you really can't leave anything outside, no matter how good you think it is clamped down. And if they aren't able to steel the bike they attempt to take, they tend to vandalise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Are any of you aware of the offer from local gardai to have your bike encoded and databased so if checked by a garda they can see it's yours?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Are any of you aware of the offer from local gardai to have your bike encoded and databased so if checked by a garda they can see it's yours?

First I ever heard of it.

First I ever heard of it.

Safer Blanchardstown have been promoting it for some time. I'll post details here asap.

Register your bike Online at www.saferblanchardstown.com

It won't stop it from being stolen, but it would help in finding the owner if found, and or if you spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

knealecat wrote: »

A good lock isn't a waste of money. It can be the difference between a thief taking your bike in 2 seconds flat, or having to go to all the bother of what they did to take yours. No lock can 100% prevent your bike from being stolen but a good one can make it much more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Register your bike Online at www.saferblanchardstown.com

It won't stop it from being stolen, but it would help in finding the owner if found, and or if you spot it.
    Also BikeRegister.ie.

I put my bikes on both sites, with photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

It doesn't really matter what lock you have or how you lock a bike..

If a thief wants it bad enough they'll get it. Most of these scumbags are going round with mini angle grinders.

Do not leave your bike anywhere.

not yet wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what lock you have or how you lock a bike..

If a thief wants it bad enough they'll get it. Most of these scumbags are going round with mini angle grinders.

Do not leave your bike anywhere.

Yeah, just leave it at home and never use
    it

Yeah, just leave it at home and never use
    it

Yeah do that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Gardai have no interest in bike theft. The only solution is to park a bike in an apartment/house/office (reserve an area with a mat or similar to prevent dirty wheels getting on floor)

Sorry to hear about the bike OP

mrcheez wrote: »
    Gardai have no interest in bike theft. The only solution is to park a bike in an apartment/house/office (reserve an area with a mat or similar to prevent dirty wheels getting on floor)

Sorry to hear about the bike OP

This is so true, Nowhere on the street is safe whatever lock you have. All a good lock will do is possibly make the thief think twice about going for an easier option. But if your bike is worth 1 or 2k believe me they know it, and will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

This is worth a watch if you have a bike - Made in Dublin it shows the best locks and how best to lock the bike - and how the wrong lock or use is easily bypassed.

(ans: nothing foolproof of course - but best is a combo lock and cable through the back and front wheels if you cannot watch the vid)

Also - Garda have an auction every while where they auction off hundreds of recovered bikes no one has reported stolen - so always worth telling them its missing.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Handy, i have one of those cable locks as well but never thought to thread it as the guy demonstrated, i just ran both loops through the u-lock

Advertisement