Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roadworks Littlepace and phibblesown

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its not just a school crossing, its a facility for everyone. As a zebra crossing it must have a beacon showing all the time, unlike a toucan push button traffic light crossing which just shows green when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

nicnac wrote: »
    They don't need to leave it on all day though. It is at the entrance of the school and school isn't open 24/7

They still have the lollipop ladies there during school opening and closing times. The pedestrian crossing is there for all the other pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

Looks like they are adding another pedestrian crossing at the levelled roundabout in littlepace.

Oh sweet jaysus can you imagine the traffic delays in the evening from this. Right down at the roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

Is that the round about up near the big tall conifers, near the studd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Yep, gonna be real interesting when they switch on the lights there. Suspect it will lead to very large traffic jams in the morning & evening. A red light there will stop all left turning traffic & back the traffic all the way to the lights at the exit of the N3. Which in turn will back up down the ramp & on to the N3 itself. Gotta lurve the aul Fingal road traffic planners they have a penchant for Traffic lights & mini roundabouts. Must be on special offer !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

nicnac wrote: »
    I was thinking the same the other day rolion. Not to worry, when they get the first ESB bill they'll switch that off :rolleyes:

The problem is that WE will foot the bill...
    Why have they setup some sort of solar panels to power-up the lights !?

I understand the rationale behind the setup, that junction now looks beautiful like in some "traffic management" catalogue BUT...there wasn't any fatalities for years, afaik and if the school is open for business 7AM to 6PM,why is it running at 2 in the morning ?
    I guess that first ones to complain will be house owners beside the junction as the lights are quite bright at night and flashing in my bedroom is not an enjoyable option. :)

Also, one think I noticed but I could be wrong...people come at the edge of the pedestrian path and stop, looking confused to left and right side of the road.
    Car drivers are not sure what to do and stop the car.
    Pedestrians crosses, cars move.
    I guess that at some point, pedestrians will think that they have right of crossing, drivers will think that pedestrians are waiting for car to pass and is only a matter of seconds until someone will be involved in a "right of way" type accident ! I hope i'm wrong...

Pedestrians have the right of way once they are on the crossing, that's the rules of the road. having said that, I drove past on Sunday and there was a christmas fair on in the school so lots of people around, and I saw a guy drive through the pedestrian crossing and almost knock a guy down. Personally, when I am using pedestrian lights I always assume the driver isn't going to stop, and wait until they slow and stop before I step out onto it. But in general the amount of drivers I have seen just blast through these kinds of pedestrian lights is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Yep, gonna be real interesting when they switch on the lights there. Suspect it will lead to very large traffic jams in the morning & evening. A red light there will stop all left turning traffic & back the traffic all the way to the lights at the exit of the N3. Which in turn will back up down the ramp & on to the N3 itself. Gotta lurve the aul Fingal road traffic planners they have a penchant for Traffic lights & mini roundabouts. Must be on special offer !!

AND...be prepared with another "special offer" !
    A new set of traffic lights is been built at the next round about going towards Ongar Village! To be honest, that is less problematic and I don't recall how many times I had to stop and let kids to cross the road !
    But anyway ,I can say now that the traffic flow (for cars only) in estate, at peak hours, is completely fcuked !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

rolion wrote: »
    The problem is that WE will foot the bill...
    Why have they setup some sort of solar panels to power-up the lights !?

I understand the rationale behind the setup, that junction now looks beautiful like in some "traffic management" catalogue BUT...there wasn't any fatalities for years, afaik and if the school is open for business 7AM to 6PM,why is it running at 2 in the morning ?
    I guess that first ones to complain will be house owners beside the junction as the lights are quite bright at night and flashing in my bedroom is not an enjoyable option. :)

Also, one think I noticed but I could be wrong...people come at the edge of the pedestrian path and stop, looking confused to left and right side of the road.
    Car drivers are not sure what to do and stop the car.
    Pedestrians crosses, cars move.
    I guess that at some point, pedestrians will think that they have right of crossing, drivers will think that pedestrians are waiting for car to pass and is only a matter of seconds until someone will be involved in a "right of way" type accident ! I hope i'm wrong...

These developments will benefit all pedestrians (many of whom are taxpayers) and who can often find it quite difficult to cross the busy junctions prior to the installation of these pedestrian friendly initiatives. They also use the footpaths at all times of the day and night (and not just school hours) hence the constant need for the flashing lights. The lights of cars and street lights are far more brightly lit then any pedestrian light so I doubt they'd penetrate your blinds/curtains. (let us know if they actually do - would be interested to hear!)

Secondly, most people (I would expect but this thread seems to prove otherwise) are familiar with the concept of pedestrian crossings with flashing amber beacons and know that pedestrians do have the right of way on such crossings. Drivers must yield to any pedestrian who is attempting to cross or is already crossing on them. If a driver does not understand that, they should not be driving in public roads(as I would be concerned about how many other basic rules of the road they were not aware of).

Finally, saying there was never a fatality in years is no justification for preventing continuous road safety improvements and eliminating potential hazards for all users.

PS - I'm a car driver but am also a pedestrian so I'm not anti any segment of road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

The zebra crossing isn't actually all that visible at night. You don't see it until you are maybe 5 meters away in the darkness.

Advertisement