Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My Circumcision Story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anything I’m reading says about 2 weeks. It’s something to do with the healing process I believe but I’d just be careful if there’s things you have to do. Do you have to clean surface things as well. Depending what you use that should be ok.

irs a couple of years since mine so not sure on specific details

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi Gael,

Thanks for your advice!

I checked the HSE website again and I misunderstood. It actually states to avoid sex for 4 weeks, it states that it usually takes at least 10 days to heal. So that 2 weeks would make sense! It doesn't actually mention lifting weights.. Although as a precaution I could take it easy for the next 4 days. That will be 2 weeks.

I have to clean surfaces with a disinfectant for worktops and tables. Then for walls, I use a degreaser and the floor requires a floor cleaner. All the cleaners are diluted so it should be fine I'd say. Thanks again!

If you feel it’s healing well you could masturbate in say week 3 and see how that goes before sex.

Yes your job sounds fine, just don’t exert yourself too much. I remember having an eye operation and I couldn’t lift or exercise because it increases blood flow to the brain and it could have damaged my eye so I’m thinking something similar.

Are you having issues with constipation after the surgery? That pain was just as bad as my sore penis!! I couldn’t poo for days after

Yeah, I'll see how I am on week 3!

Yeah, I am back now and things are grand really! I ett caught lifting the odd heavy thing. But I am trying to remain mindful of this. That sense though about the blood flow to the brain though..

Apologies, you asked this question earlier and I missed it! Nope no problem at all with constipation.. I had problems peeing for the few hours after the surgery due to the block (is what the nurse called it) and then it was fine the following day. I was grand the following day like I wasn't even tired or anything. I was very mobile too, although I continued to wear the circulation stockings until day 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tootight

Whats up lads .can anyone tell me how long the waiting list is to get circumcision on medical card .I'm only going to the doctor tomorrow

• Advertisement

I don't have a medical card. Although I went through the public system. Prior to Covid starting the GP that sent my referral to the hospital. Said it would be a few months. Then Covid hot and I was waiting a year.. All done now though. I'd ask the doctor to see what they say anyway. As it's looking like things are improving in terms of Covid and the cancelling of appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Fishingmad2013

Hi just looking for some advice. I had the surgery done about 5 years ago now. Happy with the overall results however I don't think that it ever healed correctly. My scar is quite lumpy and unsightly although the surgeon said that it was normal. The last while now I am beginning to get quite sore after sex and get sore on the scar at the top. It is almost like it might be too tight along this part and begins to cut.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to make the scar look better and less lumpy and scarred looking. Also is there anything that can be done to maybe slightly loosen or soften the skin to prevent the top of the scar from hurting.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JoshMatt

Hey guys, so I’ve been following this thread for years now. Been meaning to get this procedure done for a long time, was ready to rock with it just pre-lockdown and then it fell outta view as the pandemic hit.

Well finally I had my procedure done yesterday and reckoned since this space was so good and such a comfort to me I reckoned with my recovery time over the next few days and weeks I would use the time to share back.

My situation: I’m 40, have had phimosis as long as I can remember, it’s never been a real issue for me confidence wise or sexually, I’m a happy, well rounded guy, easy going and tally on through. However always had pangs of ‘must get this looked at’ but then would move on and not think again of it and then months later think the same and so on.

I’ve always known it was an issue since I was around 22 or so. Over the years I’ve tried expanding techniques and I tried adjustable phimosis rings when I was around 26 and creams. This is where you place a ring in your tight foreskin, leave it there and let the skin try and naturally expand. Accompanied with a steroid cream overtime it would naturally widen itself….however it could take months or even a year. Anyways in a nutshell for me…..this didn’t work!

Of course life moves on, I travelled etc and didn’t think again. I didn’t mind so much, me and my ‘Poloneck Forey’ were buddies LOL and sexual partners even liked it (my phimosis is pretty tight so the lads that have my condition, you must admit it appears to add that few extra centimetres too hahaha 🤣)

So alls good however as I reached my mid 30s I thought maybe I should get this seen to? More out of curiosity, did I want to ALWAYS have this tight foreskin? Sex wasn’t painful or anything but I did think as I was getting older sensitivity was becoming an issue, it’s always lacked a good deal of sensitivity as glans are covered but it seemed to be numbing more. Trust me I’d mastered a good old ‘pulling technique’ to make the most of it so I was as happy as a clam. But I reckoned no harm in getting it seen to. 

But where the feck do you start? I didn’t wanna rock up at the docs and proclaim my phimosis, also because I wasn’t sure a general GP would really get it and reckoned he’d just refer me to a urologist anyways. So I started researching, looking up all urologists in Ireland and cross referencing them with Google searches of comments on what they’ve done etc and looking here too. Found one. Wasn’t sure they’d take me without referral but emailed them directly and BOOM got an appointment within weeks. What I thought would be a very difficult task wasn’t.

Also this forum helped even more so, I’ve never seen a cock like mine and to know there’s TONS of us normalised it even more and helped build up the courage. I mean getting your lad half cut off ain’t easy psychologically, so the thoughts of it were hard to take consider. 

FIRST CONSULTATION: Bricking it, facing facts, the time has come but wow the consultation was EASY PEASY! Feckin hell I was fretting about this for months. Rocking in, taking your cock out to the doc, he’d probably inspect it with tweezers, might even get the shearers out - I had overthought the whole situation. Let’s be honest I was also afraid of a stiffy should be have touched it and was already pre-living this embarrassing situation.

But NOPE - went in, took it out, he asked me to pull back the foreskin, seen it was tight phimosis, diagnosed me with one look, told me we’d circumcise and sent me out to book the appointment. The consultation literally took 5mins! I’ve waited longer for a pint!!!!!! Most normal thing to the doc.

And there it was, after years of thinking and then forgetting and then fretting and worrying and forgetting again. In one foul swoop it was going to happen.

Oops sorry for the novel, I reckoned the back story might be of help. Didn’t expect to write so much but incase some of you were feeling the same. I’ll take a break for a bit and will come back soon with the procedure which happened yesterday. The Poloneck is finally off the cock - wow 😬😬😬

To be continued…….

THE PROCEDURE: 

So the procedure itself. I ended up going private. My company VHI covered it and I was delighted. I just paid a 75euro excess for something I had fretted and thought about for years.

I never had a general anaesthetic before so was pretty cautious of that. Didn’t know how it’d feel, would I wake half way in, would I be okay after etc.

It was a day procedure. In that morning and out that afternoon. So headed in that morning and got all processed, prepped and ready. Was taken to the ward, popped in the lovely compress undies and stockings, the backless gown! The whole works!

When the time came, walked down to the operating room. Had a good laugh with the nurses on the way. They were fantastic. They see this all the time, I had to wait in the ward for a good bit beforehand so it eased the nerves. The nurses know exactly what you’re in for and it takes off the edge, we discussed it at length at the start as they took me through the forms and the consent etc.

The time came. Of we trotted. Down the stairs. Bricking it. Went in, laid down on the wheely bed. The anaesthetist took me through exactly what was to happen. In the needle went, felt nothing. I had worse scratches playing sport. Then wheeled into the operating room, in went the general anaesthetic and BOOM out like a light! Woke up 90mins later and the nurse wheeled me back up to the ward. Was pretty awake and remember everything from there. Wasn’t groggy, was a bit emotional but totally aware. 

I think the op probably took over one hour but I can’t exactly tell. I got a full circumcision and frenuloplasty. But the doc saved enough loose skin that when flaccid the head of my penis is half covered (he told me afterwards but I found out today).

THE RECOVERY: Day One

Not much pain at all so far. I’m one day into recovery and nothing. I’m on pain killers which is clearly taking off the edge. The little soldier is bandaged up like how you’d see a broken thumb bandaged up. Looks odd but looks safe and comfortable. Walking is wonky right away and stairs are tough. I’m walking like a Wild West Cowboy. Came home and went straight to bed. Had to lie flat on my back all night….and then the interesting bit.

Yup, the boyo came up for air in the middle of the night (you know what I mean guys) and WOW that was about the toughest bit yet. It wasn’t excruciatingly sore but just tingley and awkward. I thought the stitches were gonna burst so I stayed awake since 5am so it wouldn’t happen again. With the erection the bandage became loose and slid off the penis a bit so I just remained still all morning so it wouldn’t rip off. You’re advised to let it come off itself in its own time. But to aid it I just popped some Vaseline at the base of the bandage and popped it back in the undies.

Got bored during the morning and decided I’d do some work on the laptop in bed. Distracted and working away I left it for ages and then decided I’d check in on him and then VOILA bandage was completely off, I didn’t even notice it coming off and there was my circumcised cock right there!!!!!! That’s when I realised the skin still came over the head a little and I must say so far it looks incredible! I’ve never seen the head and it looks as normal as can be. My stitches are rolled in under the head and the loose skin covers them for now. I guess when erect this skin will stretch and the stitches  will be revealed. I pulled back the loose skin gently and yes there the stitches are, all red, some blood but not as horrifying as I’d imagine it to be. It looks pretty damn neat to be honest.

So far all pretty good. I’m expecting the pain to come, some say after three days and yes the head is VERY sensitive to touch but they say that’ll ease. I’m walking around a little but not much. I work a very active job both daily and at night and need to be back in action in full glory in a week, well at least not walking wonky anyways, no one needs to know anything else.

So here I am, halfway through day one of recovery and so far so good. I’ll keep posting as the days go.

Apologies they’re long posts but I know these progress posts helped me a lot and if this can help one person back that’s awesome.

• Advertisement

THE RECOVERY: Day Six

So nothing much exciting has happened since. The bandage coming off on day one of recovery was as exciting as it has been so far. I’ve just been taking it very easy and doing nothing strenuous. I managed to get over a week off work and I’m back in 3 days which is worrying. I’m not going to lie but the recovery seems slow enough and the head sensitivity makes walking and general tasks tough work. There’s not much pain or anything but sleeping on my back etc and the middle of the night erections are no fun at all. 

Yes I’m barely a week in but I’m getting a little bored now but I know I just gotta wait. I’m an extremely active and independent person so it’s been tough going just sitting around, it’s much easier said than done. Sitting in an L shape (as in sitting normally in a chair) I haven’t quite achieved properly yet so I’m mostly lying down on a sofa or bed. I even had to go get extra non stick dressing earlier at the pharmacy and walking across the road was so annoying, I had to walk so slowly and may even have had a little annoyed cry at myself afterwards cause I was feeling sorry for myself. 

Anyways things I’ve done recovery wise:

I didn’t bathe or use saline solution for a few days as per advice I’d read online. But yesterday I started doing Epsom salt baths twice a day to help cleanse the wound and lubricate the head etc. I must say they’re quite nice and it also gives me an opportunity to look at the stitches in a safe environment as I’m keen not to pull the skin back for a peep in fear of ripping them so I feel I can do this in the bath. Can’t see too much anyways as I’m still swollen and now some bruising has begun. 

During the day if I get a chance I just let the boyo out to breath naked however when I decide to do some small walks around the house what I do is I use a 10cmx20cm non stick gauze pad, smother it in Vaseline and pop it over my penis and then hold it in place with a pair of tight y-fronts. It just means everything is nice and tight and safe and helps me be slightly active. I do the same dressing at night so that everything is secure so I can sleep, I’ve even moved on to attempting to sleep on my side now too.

I’ll admit that today I’m a bit down about it all. The last few days have been great, I’ve been taking it easy, watching movies and revelling in the recovery. Then today when I had to do a basic task of going to a pharmacy (don’t worry I got a lift) but having to walk in and feeling so impaired and slow really upset me, I know it takes weeks etc but the reality that it’s me walking like a 90yr old who’s willy has been stitched up suddenly hit me. 

But so far no pain, taking it easy, using gauze pads and wrapping my boyo up when I must be active, Epsom salt baths twice a day and mostly trying to relieve the boredom of sitting around idle.

Hopefully the days ahead get a little easier and deep down I know it’ll all be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Has anybody else had any issues contacting the clinic in Malahide? I'm trying to arrange a follow-up, I got an email response about a month ago and I haven't been able to get a response since. There were no issues previously and everything has been friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I thought this was an interesting graphic - Global Circumcisions by Country

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fast Herman

Hi all. I understand this procedure can be done under local or general anaesthetic. I would much prefer local but read that is done via epidural, or an injection into the spinal cord. Has anyone had local anaesthesia via a different method or was it always via epidural?

I have had some success at stretching, but seem to get stuck at bypassing the Corona, and do not want to force it in case it gets stuck :-/ Has anyone here managed to completely resolve their problem by stretching alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Trondheim

I did it through stretching and hydrocortisone cream.

It was a fairly long process, but not too bad overall.

My foreskin was really tight when i started (so i could just about see the slit when it was flaccid), and now it will pull back all the way, even fully erect. I must admit that the first time i pulled it back, it felt kind of frightening. I had a penis for about 25 years at that stage, and for the latter half of those had given it a lot of attention, but i had never seen the glans before and for some bizarre reason it felt kind of scary. But i got over that.

So what i did:

At night, pull back the foreskin as far as it goes. Apply a tiny amount of 1% hydrocortisone cream (available from pharmacy over the counter) on the part that seems to be tight.

During other parts of the day, like when you go to the bathroom etc., pull back the foreskin as far as it goes comfortably, and then pull it back a bit more. It should be a bit sore, but not a really sharp pain like it will tear. So you have to try to get the balance right, between being brave enough to have some pain, and not going so far that you tear the skin (as that will cause it to be tighter).

Only use the hydrocortisone for about 1 week at a time (max 2 weeks), as it thins the skin and will eventually cause it to feel sore. Keep doing the stretching every day (even the weeks that you are cycling off the hydrocortisone cream). The more often you stretch, the quicker you will have results.

Like i say, i was an extreme case in terms of tightness, and now it is totally fine.

Happy to answer any questions.

Does anybody regret getting the full circumcision?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Strider84

Got the full circ done last week in Malahide. Have to say, the op itself was a breeze. Done under local anesthetic, hardly even felt the sedative at the start.

First time I had to pee afterwards was a horrible experience but that's really been the worst of it so far. No real pain afterwards, and so far the swelling hasn't been too bad either. Odd moments of discomfort at times, but the recovery is going much better than I thought it would. Main thing is constantly waking up during the night when the stitches get a bit stretched.

Also, for anyone who does get it done privately and insurance isn't an option, you can claim part of it back in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

what was the main reason people have had it done. Medical or other reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 justsomefella

Hi all, I really hope someone sees this within maybe the next 24 hours or so.

How soon can you get your circumcision done?

I've been really thinking about it lately can't stand all these foreskin issues anymore but I don't want to be waiting months or anything to get it done.

I'd rather just get it done within the next 2 or 3 weeks honestly. Is this possible? Haven't been to GP yet, not sure if I even need to so any advice on this would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Do you have private medical insurance or are you willing to pay out of pocket if not?

Almost a month since my fren op now and no sign of the dissolvable stitches going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Having been sitting on this for 7-8 years regrettably after a misadventure.

Have been examined by 4 GPs who kept recommending the steroid cream. After of years of doing nothing in part due to lack of a GP, lack of insurance and waiting lists that would turn anyone off, finally committed to go private with an appointment early next year. Kind of looking forward to it although I feel the consultant undersold some of the pain post op.

If this was After hours, you would definitely be asked to explain the misadventure......

• Registered Users Posts: 24 auplant

I got it done at the age of 27. It was cringe for about two weeks after the surgery, then everything started healing up. As regards worries or concerns...there's nothing wrong. Your penis is highly sensitive for a while after the surgery and you'll find it hard to walk, then it becomes tough as steel eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

How long did you take off work? Planning a week but not sure if it will be long enough.

Was it my post that you meant to quote? I didn't get a circumcision. I used hydrocortisone cream to loosen the foreskin. So i did it over a long period of time, without any time off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Does the cream work? Thinking about getting it done myself but wouldn’t mind giving the cream a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Is the hydrocortisone cream that you get over the counter the same as the on the doc prescribes?

is it still all good after stopping using the cream?

Advertisement