Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Practice The Truth

Options
  • 20-04-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to see is there a relationship between amount you practice and play versus your handicap. Put handicap and if you are improving . Staying the same or not. Might give us a feel for what is realistic with our time and effort.
    So put down amount of time you spend at golf.

If it is a round put it as 4 hours. For comparison.
    9 holes = 2 hours.

So me 3 rounds a week = 12 hours
    2 range sessions = 2 hours
    1 putting/short game = 1 hour

Jaysus that is 15 hours.
    Handicap 7
    Improving :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Some amount of time and commitment but well worth it as it obviously works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I play 2 full rounds a week. Competition golf= 8 hours

2-3 evenings a week I hit the course on my own also. Play practice golf playing 2 balls off the tee traversing around the course wherever I feel but try play the low index holes if possible. If nobody behind I hit 3-4 balls into the greens from lots of different positions. Putt 3-4 balls from all different positions. Don't keep track of scores etc I just work on visualising different shots and trying to pull them off. About 90 mins each night I go up so approx 4-5 hours.

All in all about 12-13 hours or so actually hitting shots and putting.

Getting close to 4 handicap now after a cut the last three rounds to go from 5.6-4.8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ForeRight wrote: »
    I play 2 full rounds a week. Competition golf= 8 hours

2-3 evenings a week I hit the course on my own also. Play practice golf playing 2 balls off the tee traversing around the course wherever I feel but try play the low index holes if possible. If nobody behind I hit 3-4 balls into the greens from lots of different positions. Putt 3-4 balls from all different positions. Don't keep track of scores etc I just work on visualising different shots and trying to pull them off. About 90 mins each night I go up so approx 4-5 hours.

All in all about 12-13 hours or so actually hitting shots and putting.

Getting close to 4 handicap now after a cut the last three rounds to go from 5.6-4.8

at the moment basically a round a week plus about 15 mins on the practice green beforehand.

Range max twice a month for about an hour each time, so say 2 hours over 4 weeks = 0.5hrs a week on average.

So 4.75 hrs a week playing off 12 & going sideways.

Jesus I really need to get more practice time in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

We will see how it goes. But i feel and know from a few other sports that elite will be about 20 hours.

Now that is not possible for most. But would be interesting to find one.

well done ForeRight. Interesting that it is similar to me.
    You are getting far more use of your time then me . As I love a round the score.
    (As you may have gathered lol).
    Perhaps I need to go 2 ball more.

We will see how it goes. But i feel and know from a few other sports that elite will be about 20 hours.

Now that is not possible for most. But would be interesting to find one.

well done ForeRight. Interesting that it is similar to me.
    You are getting far more use of your time then me . As I love a round the score.
    (As you may have gathered lol).
    Perhaps I need to go 2 ball more.

I try keep my scoring rounds limited as I find constantly chasing a good round a bit counter productive mentally. It's so difficult to maintain that level of concentration.
    I found that just trying different shots far better for enjoyment and stopped me getting disheartened.

Say I have 100 yards to a green I'll take out my 52 wedge. Try throw 2 in high all the way to the pin and then two low bouncing in short. Feels great when they come off and then when in your competitive round you know you can do different things depending on where you are, your lie, obstacles in the way etc. the advantage is in practice if you make a mess it's no big deal, if playing for score you beat yourself up I find.

• Advertisement

I like beating myself mentally. No ,interesting and working for you.
    I guess I was always targeting a score. And also felt it necessary to learn how to put a score together.
    But maybe time to rethink. Your flying it ForeRight.

This thread could actually be useful. Get a paper out of this . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I try keep my scoring rounds limited as I find constantly chasing a good round a bit counter productive mentally. It's so difficult to maintain that level of concentration.
    I found that just trying different shots far better for enjoyment and stopped me getting disheartened.

Say I have 100 yards to a green I'll take out my 52 wedge. Try throw 2 in high all the way to the pin and then two low bouncing in short. Feels great when they come off and then when in your competitive round you know you can do different things depending on where you are, your lie, obstacles in the way etc. the advantage is in practice if you make a mess it's no big deal, if playing for score you beat yourself up I find.
    I've given up doing this lately, it doesn't matter how well you hit them in practice of you can't do it with a card in your hand, when practicing they're is no pressure of you are hitting multiple balls so I find a lack of focus and routine, so it doesn't help on course as much as it could

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

After moving to a club less than 5 minutes away ive gone from 6hrs a week to around 16 to 20. 3 to 4 games, the rest is practice.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I've given up doing this lately, it doesn't matter how well you hit them in practice of you can't do it with a card in your hand, when practicing they're is no pressure of you are hitting multiple balls so I find a lack of focus and routine, so it doesn't help on course as much as it could

That's why I try different shots from the same position. It makes me concentrate on each shot induvidually instead of hitting for the sake of it.

I understand what you are saying though but I haven't found it a problem so far and I've been scoring very well when I play a comp this year doing what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That's why I try different shots from the same position. It makes me concentrate on each shot induvidually instead of hitting for the sake of it.

I understand what you are saying though but I haven't found it a problem so far and I've been scoring very well when I play a comp this year doing what I'm doing.

I think it's the feeling that I know I can just drop another and try again,, since I practice more than I play I don't want to promote this feeling

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think it's the feeling that I know I can just drop another and try again,, since I practice more than I play I don't want to promote this feeling

Well that makes sense. Horses for courses I suppose.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    After moving to a club less than 5 minutes away ive gone from 6hrs a week to around 16 to 20. 3 to 4 games, the rest is practice.

So Dan great going . I think I know answers.

But handicap and improving ?

I'm trying to find figures for handicap range / improving / practice time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hard to say for me as I haven't a settled routine over the last year.
    Have really ramped it up this year, trying to get as much improvement in before second sprog comes along.

2014:
    I was at the range about 4 days a week each week in Jan & Feb with a round thrown in.
    So maybe 8 hours per week.(4 Course, 4 Range)

Averaging about 2 rounds a week in March with 2 hours at the range and 1 hour in the kitchen - Putting mat.
    So 10-11 hours.
    Probably more than that really, a day doesn't go by without a club in hand, I'll spend 10-15mins swinging out the back garden (trying not to break any windows) and the same on the putting mat if it's a no golf day.

Two little cuts so far this year and I think the signs are there that it's paying off.
    HC 17 but will consider it a failure if I don't drop 3-4 shots.
    Feel 100% better about swing & game.... But obviously still not happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

At the moment I'm getting in 18 holes once a week and 2 practice rounds of 9 holes each.
    The 18 holes are 4 hours, but my 2 9 holes are 1/1.5 hours each, so 7 hours a week max.
    Would love to play more but with work and family, my 7 hours are even pushing it.
    13 hcp at the moment but game is on the right track, still aiming for single figures by end of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't know if a round is really 4 hours practice though.
    I'm only hitting (non putter) about 50 shots.... Is that really 4 hours practice.

My 1 hour by myself at the course last summer in the evenings, dropping a few balls was more useful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I haven't really had a settled routine for a while but I'll try my best. I play off 5 and I'd have to say I'm not really improving just at the moment. Not playing enough really. Probably play a competitive round once a week and then maybe 9-12 holes another evening and maybe the range once a week too. So that's probably about 7 hours a week I suppose. For me anyway that's not enough to improve from the level I'm at.

Last year I dropped 5 shots and when I was going right well I was probably playing a competitive round each week, playing 9-12 holes twice a week and then maybe another session where I hit balls and do some chipping and putting for a total of maybe 2 hours. That was probably maybe 12 hours. If I could get back to that level of golf I feel I could shave another shot or 2 this year.

PARlance wrote: »
    I don't know if a round is really 4 hours prvaluable
    hough.
    I'm only hitting (non putter) about 50 shots.... Is that really 4 hours practice.

My 1 hour by myself at the course last summer in the evenings, dropping a few balls was more useful imo.

I know . But I wanted reference for everyone.
    Yes you are right. But dealing at a macro level to get a number.
    We can look at that when I have a list.
    Clearly ForeRight and his 250 shot hacking up the place. Is far more value

(Joking).

But stick with 4 for moment.

Yes it is very little golf. But a round of golf is practice for a very important part of the game. The sequence. The club ing. The concentration

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So put down amount of time you spend at golf.

If it is a round put it as 4 hours. For comparison.
    9 holes = 2 hours.

So me 3 rounds a week = 12 hours
    2 range sessions = 2 hours
    1 putting/short game = 1 hour

Jaysus that is 15 hours.
    Handicap 7
    Improving :)

handicap 5
    playing = 10 hours
    range time = 0 hours
    putting/pitching = 5 hours

total = 15 hours

Improving / staying the same Rikand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Improving / staying the same Rikand ?

staying the same. It's tough at the top ;)

• Advertisement

Your not at the top Rik . :)

pink is.

Anyway getting a nice picture. I need more short stuff. But knew that. Lol.

Looking like 12 to 15 so far.

But early days.

Nice if we get a little couplet or rule of thumb like.

If your not in double hours
    You'll stay in double figures.

Obviously work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm not jealous at all of you lot getting in 10-15hrs of golf time a week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Gonna have to have a chat with the missus cause just one round a week isn't doing me any favours.
    Off 17 and heading north.
    The little one is taking all my mid week daytime which is a necessity but membership is pointless if only getting out once a week.
    Last year played maybe 3/4 times week but course was on door step and wife wasn't working. Now live 20 mins away and i am housebound mid week.

Rant over.
    Now have to sneak out without waking the house.

Just to show there's no hard and fast rule though, guy I know who's one of the best golfers in my club plays probably two competitive rounds a week and that's it and he plays off 2 or 3. Would never really go play 9 holes or practice short game or go to the range etc. He just likes playing competitive golf and that's all the golf he plays really. Never had a lesson either. Talented guy.

Just to show there's no hard and fast rule though, guy I know who's one of the best golfers in my club plays probably two competitive rounds a week and that's it and he plays off 2 or 3. Would never really go play 9 holes or practice short game or go to the range etc. He just likes playing competitive golf and that's all the golf he plays really. Never had a lesson either. Talented guy.

Imagine how good he would be if he practiced ;)

Having the raw talent that guy has is brilliant and once he is enjoying his golf why change anything I suppose.

Imagine how good he would be if he practiced ;)

Having the raw talent that guy has is brilliant and once he is enjoying his golf why change anything I suppose.

Ya I know, good and all as he is if he put even 2 hours a week into pure short game practice you'd have to imagine he could get close to scratch as his ball striking is top class.

Ya I know, good and all as he is if he put even 2 hours a week into pure short game practice you'd have to imagine he could get close to scratch as his ball striking is top class.

No hard and fast rules - but you may see a general shape.

Perhaps this individual did play for a long time a week at a certain time.
    Also - you may find that there is a difference in improving golfers and ones that are maintaining a handicap .

Will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

One round a weekend and 9 holes on Wednesday .

6 hours . I could get out maybe one more evening as the Mrs is not too bad but as I work 9 to 5 it means our little fella is down in bed when I get home . I even hate doing it Wednesdays but I know I need the practice .

I plan on in the height of summer to go around for 9 holes most nights we put him up because my reason for joining the club was to play as much as possible .

I'm abit like parlance as in iv a club in my hand at least once a day . It's swinging out the back or playing chip shots or putting up on our landing .

I'm made a huge improvement since Xmas but it's down to learning to do the right things more so then been out practicing . My grip being the main change .

I was giving a HC of 21 and that's just about what I'm playing to if maybe not quite there yet .

I know at my level it's easier to drop shots then most of you guys so my target is 18 before next March .

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I am not getting enough golf in at all and it is showing with my consistency being non existent..

I bought a pitching matt for the garage and a pitching net so I am trying to do that every day along with some putting practice. Long game I am practicing more than playing, with work and the baby I am playing 18 every 2nd weekend and then hitting the practice ground for 3/4 hours per week max. Working on something at the moment so really working on ingraining it into my swing before trying to score as I have found myself getting pretty frustrated.
    Also spending 1 hour a week on the putting green, using the Pelz putting board with the barings to ensure a square stroke for 50% of that time and then 20% long putts and 30% holing 3ft - 6ft putts

Hoping to get a few evening sessions in over the next while. 14 - 16 hours a week is a dream at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So far this year, one round a week (if even) and haven't been to the range yet. Playing ****, surprisingly :rolleyes:

Advertisement