Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haggling in Ireland today

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

consultech wrote: »
    Not true.

Yes true.

I pay cash for pretty much everything I can. The only exceptions being flights and stuff bought on-line, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I mis-red the thread title & thought it said Hugging in Ireland today! seems more interesting anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

His whole post is bullsh!t... 9K for a new focus plus 2 years fully comp insurance? lol... there's something wrong somewhere.

I'm so so happy you find it amusing, but that particular deal isn't as crazy as you may think. Please allow me to explain....

At the time I purchased the car, the list price was £12,499 (STG!). I was purchasing a forecourt model just as the 2004 facelift was being launched.

The dealer had marked it down to £10,999 and included a 1 year free insurance deal. Looking at it that way it was easy for me to get the car for £9,000. It was inevitable that the dealer would have had to reduce the price anyway as it was an old model that was sitting in the open.

I also had 6 years NCD so getting an extra year added to the free insurance deal was no challenge.

So it may sound like a super crazy amazing deal, but it wasn't really. Just look at some of the big car supermarkets in the UK, they offer much better deals as a matter of routine.

And yes, I did flash the cash. The dealer wouldn't accept it though so had to go and deposit the cash in to their bank account directly as they had no means to handle large sums of cash like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

My oul lad is the worst for it.

You know how some people haggle because they can't afford the full price or whatever. Well, my dad haggles.....OUT OF FCUCKING CURIOSITY!

He just wants to see how much he COULD get off.

So, we'll be passing an electrical shop and I'll pop in to buy, say, a new plug. I'll go up to the checkout to pay for it, and he'll have gone missing. Then I'd find him over talking to the shop manager (who he's asked for SPECIFICALLY) looking at a 50" plasma.

He'll hammer the guy til he knocks about a grand off the price, while the guy is getting increasingly agitated.

Then he'll see me and be all "Ah there ya are. Well, gotta go lads. You've got some nice TVs there". He does it everywhere, from Easons to the lucky lucky men.

Honestly, I dread goin chrimbo shopping with him every year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mikemac wrote: »
    The person delivering it has no power to give discounts. If they go back with less money the owner will reckon they're skimming a few euro off every pizza.

Try this idea and you'll get yourself black-listed from all the local takeaways
    I said I doubt it would work. You do not know every pizza companies policy, the further reasoning/theory was the delivery guy would ring back to HQ asking to recheck the address, and they would give that address again then the delivery man would say well it must be wrong, but the guy is offering a fiver for it -and then perhaps somebody "in power" can give a discount. But I doubt it would work and you would be blacklisted as said, I would say they have all had some chancer try it at some stage and would not want to get a name as falling for it.
    I don't think you get my point. Fair enough shopping around for a cheaper deal but haggling on something that has already had the ass discounted out of it is a waste of time.

Why would i discount a product i have priced competitive and make minimum profit on (in hopes that they buy an attaching accessory)?
    Because many times the "discounted" item is not really discounted at all. I knew a guy who worked in a furniture shop and there was constantly a sale on. Go to tescos and many advertised offers are pathetic. Many idiots just fall for this and buy apparent bargains. Many seemingly discounted items could be reduced much further so many people will ask.

they are not allowed to blatantly charge customers extra for CC transactions. So this is a subtle breaking of that rule/law. It is also a form of blackmailing that some customers try, i.e. "reduce that price by 2% for cash or else I'm using my CC".
    The cost may be already passed onto the customer as the item may be at a higher price. You know?
    Yes, the CC cost is already passed on, the guys pricing items will probably take worst case scenario and slap 2% or whatever on every price in case every single person pays by CC -thats exactly what I am getting at, it is all sort of undercover, since they cannot openly charge the CC everybody must pay it. Therefore they can afford to give reductions to cash payers, its a roundabout way of legally having a CC charge, while not calling it such. It is sort of like pizza places claiming to have "free delivery", but having a "walk in discount", the "walk in discount" IS the delivery charge!
    I wouldn't consider it blackmail either, getting something cheaper by paying cash is quite popular in some industeries. In general retail, like supermarkets and clothes shops you won't find it at all I guess.
    The form of blackmailing I meant was when you ask for a cash discount, then if they refuse to give one you say "grand, I am paying by CC so". This is sort of coercing them to give a discount since if you pay by CC they get less profit. I did just say a form of blackmail, I have no better way to describe it. It is a subtle way of doing it, waving cash in their face and then pocketing it and taking out the CC. Best done on a owner since many salesmen do not give a damn about the business they work for, all they care about is their commission and they probably get no benefit from these shady CC deals.

I know a guy in the building trade and he got his house done up which costed a fortune. He reckoned he saved 10k in all. He knew a lot of the guys involved and asked for price first and then cash price. He also would withdraw only 2k per day max from the bank, any more is supposed to arouse suspicions with the taxman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 laoisboy

amacachi wrote: »
    Ya should've let them. Even in the "Celtic Tiger" days there were massive savings to be had. One person I know got 200 euro off a TV which was marked down already from 1400 to 1100, he just asked for a "cash discount". Harvey Norman's is a classic example "Oh it's on sale, the price is locked in the computer." Total bull****.

do you mean the same harveys who are on the radio shouting to come in and haggle???

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

brummytom wrote: »
    My mom does it with more expensive things (electronics, expensive clothes etc.).

Just saying "Is that the best price you can do?" politely normally does the trick. The person behind the counter will either say "I can knock of £20/10% for you?" or "Yes".

If you don't ask, you don't get
    I've not had much haggling experience, but my mam does the same thing, like when she was buying my guitar, we went to the shop and guitar and amp wouldve been about 580 quid or something, got it for 450:cool::cool:
    shes awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

My son asked for a Collector Comic figure for xmas.Figure was €180.00 in one shop ,was priced at €140.00 in another shop. Asked guy in shop to sell it to me for €120.00.....Deal done, np saved €20.00 just by asking.(should have asked for 40.oo off....lol).I wonder how many people miss the opportunity to save themselves some money by been embarrassed to ask, they can only say no.

I getting into the habit now of haggling on prices,hav'nt tried it in tesco yet!.

Did check it out online with post,currency conversion it was working out about €90.00-€100.00.But did not want to take the risk with post,it been for xmas.Would normally buy on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I tried it yesterday. Was buying a dress and noticed a thread pulled in it. Tiny thing down by the hem, unnoticable when it's on. Pointed it out to the cashier and asked for a discount. Got 10% off. Result! :D

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A few weeks ago I was trying on a dress and noticed a tiny, tiny tear in it. Now the dress was on sale but I still couldn't quite afford it unless it were 10 quid cheaper, so I asked the manager if she could take anything off for the tiny tear, expecting maybe a fiver to be taken off but she took off the tenner! Happy Days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

nummnutts wrote: »
    Bought a guitar a few months ago and got €330 off.

I wasn't gonna complain. :D

Jesus you were really plucking at strings there :P

Advertisement