Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RE: Devhook on PSP

Options
  • 17-05-2007 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

In the last few days i've been looking up hoe to put homebrew games onto my PSP. At first I thought it was as simple as jus dragging the CSO file onto the game folder on my PSP. How wrong was I? Anyways when I reakised that I obviously wasn't doing it right, I went and did a bit of research into the whole thing. I noticed you have to install 'Devhook' onto your PSP. I'm a little apprehensive about the whole thing so im just wondering is there people on this forum who have successfully installed this program and got their homebrew games working?

P.S. I'm aware that you have to downgrade to formware 1.5 but I have 3.3 installed and am holding out for a downgrade for that, which at the mo doesn't seem to be available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

A .cso file is a compressed iso of a ripped umd, not homebrew. Devhook is just a program that you run on your psp. You don't have to install it like you do firmware if thats what you mean. Plus as far as I know (it's been a while since I kept up to date on psp stuff so I could be wrong) it's not needed anymore since proper custom firmware was released. And anyway you cant use it unless they find a way to downgrade 3.3. so homebrew and backups is out the window for you I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

P.S. I'm aware that you have to downgrade to firmware 1.5 but I have 3.3 installed and am holding out for a downgrade for that, which at the mo doesn't seem to be available.

Correct. you'll need to downgrade to 1.5 and then install DevHook or better again custom firmware, to run homebrew (although I can't think of any homebrew games that come in cso format ;) )

When installed, cso files are placed in a folder called ISO on the root of the memory stick.

There is no downgrader for firmware higher than 3.03.
    AFAIK dark_alex isnt working on one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

or better again custom firmware
    When I was looking up info on the net I didn't really come across anything about that. Could you possibly link me to more info on that?
    There is no downgrader for firmware higher than 3.03.
    AFAIK dark_alex isnt working on one either.
    Damn! Ah sure, somebody somewhere is bound to come out with something sooner or later. Cheers for the info BTW.

When I was looking up info on the net I didn't really come across anything about that. Could you possibly link me to more info on that?

Custom firmware is basically the sony offical firmware update (e.g. 3.30, 3.40 etc) hacked to allow the loading of homebrew and iso/cso.

It installs directly into the psp flash so it acts exactly like sony firmware with the added benefits.
    Because it installs directly onto the flash, there can be the possibility or bricking the psp (although chances are slim)

Custom firmware is often called OE-A, e.g. 3.30 OE-A, 3.40 OE-A.
    It is created by dark_alex and his official site can be found at:
    http://www.dark-alex.org/

Although if you can't downgrade your psp I wouldnt be getting too bogged down in this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Just on the downgrading issue, does anyone know where you can go to get this done and I wouldnt feel confident to do it myself?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

You've nothing to worry about as long as your battery is fully charged and you have it plugged in just in case. It's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Custom firmware is basically the sony offical firmware update (e.g. 3.30, 3.40 etc) hacked to allow the loading of homebrew and iso/cso.
    Sounds good but i'm guessing that with custom firmware, I still have to downgrade to 1.5 before installing the custom 3.3 etc.
    Cheers for the info anyway TF. Heres hoping that someone releases something that allows me to downgrade sometime soon.

Sounds good but i'm guessing that with custom firmware, I still have to downgrade to 1.5 before installing the custom 3.3 etc.
    QUOTE]

Exactly. You cant do anything unless you get your PSP to 1.5

be carefull as i went onto a site know to be good but the files for the PSP contained a PSP brick virus . I managed to locate it before i did anything.

be carefull as i went onto a site know to be good but the files for the PSP contained a PSP brick virus . I managed to locate it before i did anything.

I've heard about this happening alright but didnt know anyone it happened to!

To be ultra safe, probably the best bet is to look around the main psp forums and get the updates from trusted and reliable members.

:D

• Advertisement

I was on the main forum. I used their FAQ and their links and i nearly killed my PSP. I got the Blue screen but managed to fix it.

I was on the main forum. I used their FAQ and their links and i nearly killed my PSP. I got the Blue screen but managed to fix it.

Hey Dre, that seriously blows chunks.
    Out of curiosity and for my best interest, can you mention here what forum you found those dodgy files on? (PM me either if you can)

Cheers!

Advertisement