Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Work Panel 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lbouyle48

augusta24 wrote: »
    Well I managed to pass it but they haven't split it up in terms of our local panels, instead it's a national panel and I'm no. 210 so gosh I doubt I'll ever get a job offer with that many people ahead of me

Look don't feel dis heartened. I am over 200 in the national social work panel but no 7 for my local panel. I'm after getting a job outside of my local panel and I'm only on it 6 months. I felt the same but it's amazing how quick things go through.
    You will get something. B positive

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

lbouyle48 wrote: »
    Look don't feel dis heartened. I am over 200 in the national social work panel but no 7 for my local panel. I'm after getting a job outside of my local panel and I'm only on it 6 months. I felt the same but it's amazing how quick things go through.
    You will get something. B positive

Aw wow that's brilliant! Thanks so much for that... I didn't realise it would still be possible to get a job so thanks so much. Goo luck with the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cinnamonqueen

Hi,

I was just wondering - those of you who are working in CP, what are your thoughts on living in the area you work? In particular if the office covers a wide area.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

"Hi,

I was just wondering - those of you who are working in CP, what are your thoughts on living in the area you work? In particular if the office covers a wide area.

Thanks!"

In an ideal world its probably better to work in a neighbouring area to where you live. However it depends on a lot of factors, like have you got school going children of your own, are you involved in community groups like GAA etc. With the new ISA structures there may be more options to transfer from one county to the next. The union have been putting pressure on to bring in a national transfer policy so that after one years probation staff would be eligible to apply to transfer to a similar post elsewhere in the country. There was an interesting article in the Irish Social Work Journal about working in rural areas and it touched on this issue. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

Does anyone have any idea when (if!) Band C is going to be interviewed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭*WKD*

Afaik Band C will be interviewed the week of Oct 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 9 topcat28

I know this thread is about the SW panel but just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the Probation Service and recruitment. I know there was a locum panel but I'm wondering if there will be recruitment for permanent PO.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hope it's ok to pull this up again- I am considering returning to ireland and have been a SW for 5 years- info on the 'panel' is like gold dust- can anyone help or send me in the right direction? The IASW just sent me a generic response with no actual info!

Hi, all recruitment for social work posts in the child and family agency (previously HSE) & Hse (mental health, hospital,primary care) is done through a panel system. There are whispers that a new competition will be opening up in the coming months but no actual confirmation of this. I don't know where people hear about this but my team leader was talking about it before Christmas so maybe senior management are aware of it. Basically the format is 1) fill in app form and if successful (everyone is unless your not qualified to work in Ireland) then 2) online interview after which you are put into different bands based on how you performed and then 3) face to face interview. Called in order of what band you were placed in ie A first then B etc.... Then ordered for the geographical area you picked and offered jobs in that area. If jobs can't be filled in certain geographical areas the offers go out nationally.
    Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision. Where are you returning from if you don't mind me asking?

topcat28 wrote: »
    Hi, all recruitment for social work posts in the child and family agency (previously HSE) & Hse (mental health, hospital,primary care) is done through a panel system. There are whispers that a new competition will be opening up in the coming months but no actual confirmation of this. I don't know where people hear about this but my team leader was talking about it before Christmas so maybe senior management are aware of it. Basically the format is 1) fill in app form and if successful (everyone is unless your not qualified to work in Ireland) then 2) online interview after which you are put into different bands based on how you performed and then 3) face to face interview. Called in order of what band you were placed in ie A first then B etc.... Then ordered for the geographical area you picked and offered jobs in that area. If jobs can't be filled in certain geographical areas the offers go out nationally.
    Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision. Where are you returning from if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Topcat. London. Nothing confirmed but figured I had may as well apply as these panels seem so mysterious! I have no idea how people find out this stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 k_t11

This doesn't seem to let me post.... oh it wont let me post the email address. ...my original post

Hi LadyMayBelle,

Email talent pool (at) hse (dot) ie -no spaces - with your name mobile number email address and area of interest I.e social work in order to be notified when the next panel opens. They advertise the panel opening on IASW and hse website only. The last time the panel took new applications was April 2013 with the panel going live in June 2013. at the moment only band a and b have been interviewed nationally with Bands c and d interviewed for the greater dublin area. My advice is get on to TTM or CPL and get a job through them because you could be waiting a long time otherwise. sign up to IASW they post jobs regularly for some hospitals and the private fostering agencies. I can send you on the application form and guidance we were given the last time if you want - i've been told it was the same as the panel application form in 2011.

Thanks a million-ill pm you x

http://www.tusla.ie/about/careers-in-tusla/

Check this once a week or so. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pinkycardfairy

Hi everyone

I have reviewed notification that I'm going to be interview for the panel I appleae for in 2013. Would any of you have advise in relation to questions asked or what to study/research prior to the interview?

Thanks very much

I would guess that you would be asked about assessment. TULSA has adopted three models' of assessment. The UK Framework (the triangle). Helen Buckley's University of Sheffield model and signs of safety.

You should be able to get a fair amount of information on each of these on the internet. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 24 k_t11

Hi everyone

I have reviewed notification that I'm going to be interview for the panel I appleae for in 2013. Would any of you have advise in relation to questions asked or what to study/research prior to the interview?

Thanks very much

Hi,

Read back through these posts. I interviewed for c and d for Dublin back in December and the questions that people have posted about before were the same ones asked. Know your application inside out and keep things clear and concise. They recommend the STAR approach to answering: SITUATION, TASK, ANALYSIS and RESULT. Don't get carried away with your examples if they want any further details they will ask specific questions.

Can anyone tell me whether there were any bands after D? I was in band A and I'm in a post. There are a number of vacancies in my area and we've been told that they couldn't fill them from the interviews of band C & D. Maybe noone wants to work in child protection. I'm just wondering if there are anymore bands to be interviewed?? Thanks. ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pinkycardfairy

topcat28 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me whether there were any bands after D? I was in band A and I'm in a post. There are a number of vacancies in my area and we've been told that they couldn't fill them from the interviews of band C & D. Maybe noone wants to work in child protection. I'm just wondering if there are anymore bands to be interviewed?? Thanks. ðŸ˜႒

What area are you in? I know the D band in parts of Minster are only being interviewed next week so there are still parts of the country that still have not carried out full interviews of the 2013 panel

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shibers

After interview are you graded within your band based on your performance? and is it possible to fail the interview??

Yes you are graded within the band and yes it is possible to fail the interview. I know someone who did. You need to score over 40 in each competency. Remember to use "I" when describing what you did as they can't grade you for what the team did. Good luck!

• Advertisement

NRS02196 Social Worker Professionally Qualified Grade Code 3017

This would seem to suggest that the panel is close being exhausted and Tusla to going to pursue regional rather than national recruitment.

Yes I reckon panels have been exhausted in some in areas for child protection posts. Lots of specified purpose contracts being offered for that very reason too I reckon. Best of both worlds, get a job/experience and still maintain your position on panel for what u are waiting for!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Roberta88

Hi all

Hoping you can help as some may know the panel for social workers has opened and dreading completing this application, I'm assuming it's good if you use your social work buzzwords?

But also does anyone know what the next phase is after this and what kind of questions they ask in the interview?

Any info would be great thanks :)

Hi I applied for the panel and have an interview at some stage next month but they never stated what group I was in, would this mean having an interview early I'd be in group A? Alot of my college friends got interviews for next month too, does this also mean everyone who applied is getting there interview next month? I'm just wondering because obviously it's been changed since 2013 and there's no Skype interview anymore. Can anyone help?

"Hi I applied for the panel and have an interview at some stage next month but they never stated what group I was in, would this mean having an interview early I'd be in group A? Alot of my college friends got interviews for next month too, does this also mean everyone who applied is getting there interview next month? I'm just wondering because obviously it's been changed since 2013 and there's no Skype interview anymore. Can anyone help?"

If I understand you correctly there has been no further selection process between application form and interview, unlike 2013.

To the best of my knowledge candidates are shortlisted based on application form, all shortlisted candidates will be offered an interview, the ABCD grouping no longer seems to apply. Good luck

bisset wrote: »
    "Hi I applied for the panel and have an interview at some stage next month but they never stated what group I was in, would this mean having an interview early I'd be in group A? Alot of my college friends got interviews for next month too, does this also mean everyone who applied is getting there interview next month? I'm just wondering because obviously it's been changed since 2013 and there's no Skype interview anymore. Can anyone help?"

If I understand you correctly there has been no further selection process between application form and interview, unlike 2013.

To the best of my knowledge candidates are shortlisted based on application form, all shortlisted candidates will be offered an interview, the ABCD grouping no longer seems to apply. Good luck

OK brill, must mean so not many social workers applied then if there interviewing everyone in a two week period also I read other threads and is it really possible to fail the interview? I'm just wondering how you could like iF it's based on your experiences and bringing in relevant information I.e. ethics,law, policy, supervision etc

Given the kind of numbers that have likely applied the odds are that some will fail the interview. As far as I know you have to score 40 in each area. Anyone can have an attack of the nerves of just a bad day. However if you prepare properly and make sure you have examples that demonstrate the different competancies you should do well.

bisset wrote: »
    Given the kind of numbers that have likely applied the odds are that some will fail the interview. As far as I know you have to score 40 in each area. Anyone can have an attack of the nerves of just a bad day. However if you prepare properly and make sure you have examples that demonstrate the different competancies you should do well.
    Pure and utter dread now forgot u could fail the interview....studying.com this weekend......do they concentrate on all competencies or just the one you wrote on your application with just extra examples?

Hi all

Hoping you can help as a lot of people on this thread have gone through the interview process...just wondering are the questions in the interview kind of the same every year??just I have my interview on the 10th and trying to find what kind of questions regarding scenarios like or what could possible come up.

Help I'm dreading it and want it so bad!!

• Advertisement

Hi,
    The first part of interview will be based on your cv. Where u are working, where u have worked, college. Next part will focus on your application form and they could ask for another example. Last par will be general questions. The year I did mine I was asked what approach I'd use with someone in addiction, how to work with a person who self harms. They an ask questions from all areas across sw. I know someone was asked about training & applying theories to practice.
    If you have the child protection & welfare practice handbook it'd be worthwhile reading through it if you've ticked to work in Tusla. Also throughout the interview they will be assessing communication skills and organisation and planning. It says it in docs we got. Planning & organisation was previously a question in application form. Good luck!

Advertisement