Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

22lr ratshot from a semi auto

• 24-01-2015 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a ruger 10/22 for small game. I am having a particular problem with magpies eating chicken feed from a pen at the moment and wanted to dispatch one or two.

Is .22lr ratshot effective in a semi auto? I understand the rounds limitations but am unsure if it will cycle in the rifle effectively.

Any info or experience appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hi guys,

I have a ruger 10/22 for small game. I am having a particular problem with magpies eating chicken feed from a pen at the moment and wanted to dispatch one or two.

Is .22lr ratshot effective in a semi auto? I understand the rounds limitations but am unsure if it will cycle in the rifle effectively.

Any info or experience appreciated.
    Dont think they will cycle,you will probably have to fire single shots and cock each time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Dont think they will cycle,you will probably have to fire single shots and cock each time

Your right, the crimped casing expands against the chamer wall and you have to pull the lever back manually to eject the spent shell, they still go bang though.

If it's only Maggies why not just dispatch them with Subs unless you have backstop or ricochet issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The rat-shot I last used had the shot contained in a transparent plastic dome. If you put too many in the tube magazine, more than 4 or 5, the spring was strong enough to crack the plastic as the mechanism cycled. That was back in the days when you could load 15 LR in the tube legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

What is the effective range on rats with .22 bird shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

10 /15 feet if you are lucky.. If you need something better,go for .22 shorts or .22 BB caps.You will be firing single shot mind,but it will have enough ooomph to stop a magpie or crow.The rat shot will proably only injure them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Thanks for the replies lads. I'll be shooting from close range but don't want to damage my garage or risk ricochets.

Single shots aren't a problem but I don't want to compromise the rifle.

Rat poison?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Rat poison?

Nah, Fouls the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Rat poison?

He wants it for birds so cant use poison

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

I found Rat shot to be very hit and miss.

11 well spread hits on an A4 sheet of paper at 15y. Could easily miss a rat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Thanks for the replies lads. I'll be shooting from close range but don't want to damage my garage or risk ricochets.

Single shots aren't a problem but I don't want to compromise the rifle.

I've done some magpie control in close confines using .22 shorts and subs . To eliminate damage and ricochets arrange a good backstop where the birds are causing the most problems and shoot from a concealed spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

clivej wrote: »
    I found Rat shot to be very hit and miss.

11 well spread hits on an A4 sheet of paper at 15y. Could easily miss a rat.

Great for knocking down cabbage white butterflies over the vegetable plot........pest control on a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Rats are tough bu##ers. No way will rat shot work against them. Use .22 shorts or even better, an air rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

recipio wrote: »
    Rats are tough bu##ers. No way will rat shot work against them. Use .22 shorts or even better, an air rifle.

They do work, my shooting was at 5-7m, they do complain a bit but still expire quick enough...

OP, forgot to mention, make sure to wear eye protection.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Nah, Fouls the barrel.

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

I use the federal rat shot and its useless past 10 yards in my opinion. I only use t for point blank dispatch n live catch traps. It wont cycle in a semi auto so you will have to cycle manually. Id advise using CB Longs over .22 shorts even.. I find .22 shorts very inaccurate past 15 yards but that could just be in my rifle.. Ive been using CCI CB Longs the past while around the yard and theyre sub inch out to 35- 40 yards !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The rat-shot I last used had the shot contained in a transparent plastic dome. If you put too many in the tube magazine, more than 4 or 5, the spring was strong enough to crack the plastic as the mechanism cycled. That was back in the days when you could load 15 LR in the tube legally.
    Dont suppose this stuff is still available? Or where and when did ye get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Federal and CCI used to make it,or still do.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

34g 6 done a job on rat last week at 39 yards :D

Advertisement