Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice to return to games

• 06-01-2015 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

So over Christmas my wife suggested we play a board game. and we don't actually have any in the house.

but we did get into a conversation about different games. and it has inspired me to look into what's available.

So I would like some advice as to which direction we should go in. I rally managed to steer her away from the monopoly/game of life type games she was thinking of and explained a little about miniature and tabletop games

I used to play as a kid, favorites being Blood Bowl, advanced heroquest, space hulk, space crusade and Warhammer. Played D&D a few times but moved around too often to get a long term group going.

since then ive not played any. only the digital version on the PC (Nwn 1+2 Blood bowl etc)

I would love to get her into some games, I think she would really like to play something like heroquest.

I also think she would like to play D+d but is reluctant because of the geeky image it has. plus I haven't really got enough time played to actually run a game. only played 3/4 times 20+ years ago.

SO i need help looking for a game for both of us to try.

It needs to be 2 player minimum. preferably with miniatures and a gaming area, although table top isn't a problem I just don't want to put her off by having to clear out our living room to play something like Warhammer.

Ideally id get heroquest but no way I'm paying 150 bucks and over for a decent copy.

I also don't want to go full pen and paper straight away as I think that would put her off, but I think eventually she would prefer that style.

I have taken a quick look at some games, descent journey into darkness looks good, but cant find a copy anywhere. can someone tell me how it plays?

is there anything else to look at?

how is the D&d starter pack? and are there versions with a board/tiles minatures to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

There's lots of dungeon games around but this fairly recent one seems to be a good game that's easy to learn and play.

or you could check out boardgamegeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Arcadia Quest is a fantastic game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Arcadia quest immediately sprang to my mind as well when I read the OP. I haven't played it, but I have watched it being played and it appears to be lighter version of Descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

So you want her to jump into fantasy straight away?

Would easing her into something like Pandemic be a more realistic approach? And then start easing her towards the fantasy side of things.

Too big a jump into fantasy might scare her off even though hero quest is pretty lightweight.

I also hear the d+d castle ravenloft or legend of drizzt are easy enough if it's fantasy you want. It also has minis which she might be more prone to enjoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

So you want her to jump into fantasy straight away?

Would easing her into something like Pandemic be a more realistic approach? And then start easing her towards the fantasy side of things.

Too big a jump into fantasy might scare her off even though hero quest is pretty lightweight.
    I also hear the d+d castle ravenloft or legend of drizzt are easy enough if it's fantasy you want. It also has minis which she might be more prone to enjoying

yeah, well we are fans of fantasy genre already. so its easier to keep with elves and orcs. she loves fantasy pc games, WOW and order and chaos on her phone. plus the lotr movies etc so i think she would prefer warhammer/d&d type games if they arent too involved to pick up

certainly something with miniatures. she really seems put off by pen and paper games.

as long as its easy for me to understand off the bat and she can just pick up and play.

id really like to give d&d a go as I think she would like to develop a character and learn with it. but I'm afraid I don't know enough to run a 2 player game myself.

so far descent is top of both our lists, but sold out everywhere.

Haven't played em but the DnD castle ravenloft and legend of drizzt I believe would be easy enough even for beginners. They can also be linked together for campaigns afaik. You can check out everything on boardgame geek website.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

Have ye any other slightly nerdy friends? I really wanted to play some D&D, and my wife was interested, so I decided to float the idea to the rest of my mates. We ended up with about 15 people who wanted to play, and we took like the first 5 or 6. It was really good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Haven't played em but the DnD castle ravenloft and legend of drizzt I believe would be easy enough even for beginners. They can also be linked together for campaigns afaik. You can check out everything on boardgame geek website.
    I'm leaning towards these actually. Pure pen and paper will put her off straight away, but I think if she gets into it this way when these campaigns run out the transition will be easy. Plus they can be 2 player rather than group games.
    irokie wrote: »
    Have ye any other slightly nerdy friends? I really wanted to play some D&D, and my wife was interested, so I decided to float the idea to the rest of my mates. We ended up with about 15 people who wanted to play, and we took like the first 5 or 6. It was really good fun.

To be honest I don't really want to play in a group. I'm too old and grumpy/lazy to be dealing with actual people in my life ;-) actually it's more to do with schedule. The game idea only came about for those times we need to kill a few hours cos TV sucks and it's better than surfing Facebook. If she enjoys it I will certainly look into getting a group or joining one.

I'm going to get raven loft off Amazon this week I think and try it out.

Advertisement