Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    Not under this particular deal. But the tender allows the FA to sell a separate package of 3pm games for Ireland, I've no idea Iif they actually did so or if anyone bid for it.
    Surely with the increased revenue from subscriptions right like these would be a priority to add to the current line-up - relatively cheap and will fill gaps left by the Premier League at 3pm.

I wonder could we see Setanta enter the race for GAA championship rights too - possibly broadcasting them on a FTV basis... most other rights seemed to be locked up or in the control of sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishfeen wrote: »
    I wonder could we see Setanta enter the race for GAA championship rights too - possibly broadcasting them on a FTV basis... most other rights seemed to be locked up or in the control of sky.

I hope not unless they somehow end up on Saorview (which I do not see happening for a long time if ever)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

irishfeen wrote: »
    Surely with the increased revenue from subscriptions right like these would be a priority to add to the current line-up - relatively cheap and will fill gaps left by the Premier League at 3pm.

It would only be five games (from the First Round proper to the Fifth Round, after which all games are live in the UK) and only three of these would have Premier League teams playing in them.
    lertsnim wrote: »
    I hope not unless they somehow end up on Saorview (which I do not see happening for a long time if ever)
    No, I don't see that happening either, Setanta's business is a premium subscription channel, being free to air is not their business. Although the GAA have dipped into the pay-TV waters with the Leagues, I still think putting any of the Championships on pay-TV would still be a bridge too far. It might happen eventually, but I don't think the GAA world is yet ready for it and I cannot see the All-Ireland series ever being on pay-TV. Believe it or not though, only the finals themselves are actually protected for FTA.

I was always of the opinion that if Setanta ever really wants to make it big in Ireland that it needs to take RTÉ's key rights off them - European Championships, World Cups, Olympics, GAA Championships, Champions League etc. - to do this Setanta would need to launch a free service on all platforms including Saorview.

This would also allow them to showcase the subscription channels too and allow for more flexibility in showing more sport at the same time across 3 sports channels (2 subscription/1 Free).

It would only be five games (from the First Round proper to the Fifth Round, after which all games are live in the UK) and only three of these would have Premier League teams playing in them.
    Well maybe not the highest quality matches but live football none the less - I would also imagine the rights would be very cheap and help fill a broadcasting hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

since setanta have gone into partnership with BT, Setanta Ireland has gone downhill fast, Last season they showed alot of the top Italian and French league football games, this has now stopped and we get the odd game here and there, considering UPC are paying setanta for the station, questions need to be asked as why the content has dropped so low from last year, I wonder are UPC still paying setanta the same amount of money.....

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    since setanta have gone into partnership with BT, Setanta Ireland has gone downhill fast, Last season they showed alot of the top Italian and French league football games, this has now stopped and we get the odd game here and there, considering UPC are paying setanta for the station, questions need to be asked as why the content has dropped so low from last year, I wonder are UPC still paying setanta the same amount of money.....
    I assume you are a UPC customer mate but what did you expect to happen? ... Setanta are in the business of making money. If they move all the big rights to Setanta Sports 1 on UPC then more people will subscribe - simple as that, the more subscribers the more revenue for the station.... if any of us were running Setanta we would do the same because it makes business sense.

ziggyman17 wrote: »

The deal was renegotiated in July and this involved Setanta being released from its commitment to show 17 Premier League games a season from Setanta Ireland. Presumably UPC got something in return.

The Premier League is is actually the only thing Setanta have moved to Setanta Sports 1 this season. They have moved the Top 14 Rugby back from Setanta Sports 1 to Setanta Ireland this season because Premier Sports no longer have the UK rights. They've acquired the rights to NFL's Sunday and Monday Night Football this year as well.

Part of the problem is that because Setanta Sports 1 is now simulcasting Premier Sports most of the time, Setanta effectively only have one channel of their own now (aside from on some Champions League nights where they broadcast two games - and any time they do this it comes at the price of annoying their UK Premier Sports subscribers as Premier Sports must be taken off air for the duration) and they may see no point in broadcasting an event that BT Sport is also broadcasting unless it is of particular interest to Irish viewers and they think they'll make a bit of advertising money on it. BT Sport are broadcasting extensive coverage of both Serie A and Ligue 1 and Setanta probably feel they are best supplementing this instead of trying to replicate it. As I say, their business is to sell subscriptions and they won't get much by offering for free on Setanta Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

considering i have 5 stand alone sport channels with the setanta sports pack and pay €12.99 a month I am completey satisfied.

considering i have 5 stand alone sport channels with the setanta sports pack and pay €12.99 a month I am completely satisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Apparently BT have blown Sky & ITV out of the water with a £1 billion bid for the rights to the Champions League & Europa League.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/10436566/BT-Sport-to-show-Champions-League-and-Europa-League-football-from-2015.html

Massive news if true, and terrible news for Irish viewers if we're now down to a maximum of three games a night - games not involving UK sides unlikely to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Massive news if true, and terrible news for Irish viewers if we're now down to a maximum of three games a night - games not involving UK sides unlikely to be seen

Officially confirmed by BT and UEFA eported on BBC News - no word on the Irish rights but this is bad news and ultimately will cost the viewer.

Both finals will be free to air as a condition of the exclusivity deal.

BT Sport has being struggling but with this deal and the probable arrival of the new H-Cup Sky is starting to look a bit bare.

great looks like Tuesday and Wednesday nights in the future will be/could be geo blocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Will this effect the Irish viewer much? Currently games are shown on RTE/TV3 and Setanta Ireland and ITV and Sky.

Most Irish fans will watch what RTE/TV3 has on because they'll show the Brit teams playing. It's clearly terrible for the average UK viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

kooga wrote: »
    great looks like Tuesday and Wednesday nights in the future will be/could be geo blocked!

they will probably just by the ROI rights as well. it will be small change to them as RTE are reported to pay around 1million a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭deeroy12

It will have a massive effect on the Irish viewer if BT is Geo blocked ere like what it is with UEFA Cup coverage.Instead of having every match available ere on Sky,Rte,Tv3,Utv,Itv4(UEFA Cup coverage) we now could only have the option of 2 live matches a week on Tv3 & Rte.Either way its a massive blow 2de costumer with both Sky & BT overpaying on rights in last 12months which means price increases for everyone.Come 2015 i reckon it will be close to £100 p/m 2subscribe 2football.

BT subscription price will surely rise for this. £1 billion for European football rights is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Infoanon wrote: »
    no word on the Irish rights but this is bad news and ultimately will cost the viewer.

The Irish right may not go to tender until next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Will this effect the Irish viewer much? Currently games are shown on RTE/TV3 and Setanta Ireland and ITV and Sky.

Most Irish fans will watch what RTE/TV3 has on because they'll show the Brit teams playing. It's clearly terrible for the average UK viewer.

This is the UK CL/Super Cup/Europa League TV rights package for the 2015/16-2018/19 seasons. The Irish TV rights package for this period has to go to tender yet.

The Irish TV rights could that route too - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057060299

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

will this mean that sky will make sure they don't lose the better PL rights next time?

or would BT even be able to take them too? (financially)

BT Sport do have the financial muscle behind them to outbid Sky for the better games but will BT throw money at it. I can see BT Sport going the same way as Setanta in the UK. They are putting way too much money into these rights and there is only so much they can put into sporting rights before other parts of their business is affected (ie. higher and higher rates for their telephone and broadband customers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

BT Sport do have the financial muscle behind them to outbid Sky for the better games but will BT throw money at it. I can see BT Sport going the same way as Setanta in the UK. They are putting way too much money into these rights and there is only so much they can put into sporting rights before other parts of their business is affected (ie. higher and higher rates for their telephone and broadband customers)

I would have actually said that they're too big to go the way of Setanta, and they're highly unlikely to go broke. They made profits of 2.5bn last year. However, This does appear to be a bit of a gamble. If you don't support one of the big 6 or 7 clubs in the UK your interest might not be as intense.

All the games will still be available here I presume. Either BT will buy the Irish rights as well or another broadcaster will pick them up. It's very likely however, that either TV3 or RTE (or both) will lose their rights, so Free TV here could be left with just the finals and an odd game here or there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Will this mean a new BT Sport 3 Channel so more games can be shown
    I doubt they will have there channels Geo blocked for champions league
    as if there bid is a success there will be no longer Sky/ITV Broadcasts

Champions League is much bigger for advertising revenue than Europa League and be crazy to have Irish customers not have the ability to watch games and the amount of complaints would be of the record if that happened and they would see massive drop in Irish customers subscribing to there channels.

Also i expect there will be a new BT Sport 3 Channel to increase the ability to show 3 live games each Tue/Wed

Its not until 2015 and until they get there bid accepted we wont find out how this might affect Irish customers as i really doubt they will block broadcasts to customers in Ireland due to champions league following and advertising revenue

I know one thing I will not accept and i'm sure Irish customers would not accept geo block for champions league games as there is massive support over here for champions league

I would have actually said that they're too big to go the way of Setanta, and they're highly unlikely to go broke. They made profits of 2.5bn last year.

BT as a whole yes but there is absolutely no way can their Sport channels turn a profit. The question then is how long are BT willing to make a loss on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

paulboland wrote: »
    I know one thing I will not accept and i'm sure Irish customers would not accept geo block for champions league games as there is massive support over here for champions league

You, nor other Irish customers, wouldn't have a choice but to accept any geo-block.

BT might not think it's worthwhile bidding for the Irish rights as their major objective (to this point) was to increase their core business.

However, it might be beneficial for themselves and Setanta to jump into bed together and grab the Irish rights.

That's all ahead of us...

Infoanon wrote: »
    Officially confirmed by BT and UEFA eported on BBC News - no word on the Irish rights but this is bad news and ultimately will cost the viewer.

Both finals will be free to air as a condition of the exclusivity deal.

BT Sport has being struggling but with this deal and the probable arrival of the new H-Cup Sky is starting to look a bit bare.

I don't think so, Sky have plenty of rights in both football and rugby including their triumph card, the main rights to the Premier League. Next year, even if they don't retain whatever European rugby does emerge out of the ERC/RCC mess, they'll have the addition of the first choice games in the Pro 12.

The big loser out of this is ITV who have just lost the FA Cup too and to be honest, this really is the end of the road for regular live sport on ITV(1). Left now is England internationals, the World Cup, the European Championship, and the Rugby World Cup. Some major events but little bread and butter...
    kooga wrote: »

To be fair, there's not much worth watching on BT Sport on Tuesday and Wednesday nights at the moment...
    deeroy12 wrote: »
    It will have a massive effect on the Irish viewer if BT is Geo blocked ere like what it is with UEFA Cup coverage.Instead of having every match available ere on Sky,Rte,Tv3,Utv,Itv4(UEFA Cup coverage) we now could only have the option of 2 live matches a week on Tv3 & Rte.

You're forgetting Setanta who have the Irish rights to all games other than the terrestrial live game. Only problem is they are only showing two other games on a Tuesday and one on a Wednesday this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

radiowaves wrote: »
    You, nor other Irish customers, wouldn't have a choice but to accept any geo-block.

BT might not think it's worthwhile bidding for the Irish rights as their major objective (to this point) was to increase their core business.

However, it might be beneficial for themselves and Setanta to jump into bed together and grab the Irish rights.

That's all ahead of us...
    Sky do not geo block champions league games
    So I expect the same with BT Sport
    I have BT Sport on Sky not UPC

I really don't see it been geo blocked anyway due to high profile of champions league

I fully expect to be able to watch live games to a provider I suscribe to especially if that game is not been shown on rte/tv3

Again as with sky sports I can watch all live games
    BT Sport will do the same when they go live from 2015

Europa League compared to champions league it has lot less profile and interest unless the team you support happens to be in it of course

I just wonder one thing will BT Sport increase the subscription price to help cover the bid or depend on advertising revenue

As long as I get to see liverpool play live from 2015 in champions league as I expect they will be back in the champions league by then and I'm not dreaming lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

BT as a whole yes but there is absolutely no way can their Sport channels turn a profit. The question then is how long are BT willing to make a loss on it.

The sport channels aren't there to make a profit as such, they're a loss leader to hold back all the various other companies that have been chipping away at BT's Market share. I think within reason they'd be willing to make a loss on the sports for years to come as long as the sports help to hold onto and maybe even generate some new customers.

An example of this is the loss of Setanta Sports from the Eircom Sports Hub. It wasn't a great service but there was definitely a market for it. I know one person who's changing their service because it's not available any more.

Now if eircom were smart they'd do a deal with BT to show their stations on their new TV service (for free or close to free) otherwise it's basically dead in the Water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

paulboland wrote: »
    Sky do not geo block champions league games
    So I expect the same with BT Sport
    I have BT Sport on Sky not UPC

I really don't see it been geo blocked anyway due to high profile of champions league

I fully expect to be able to watch live games to a provider I suscribe to especially if that game is not been shown on rte/tv3

Again as with sky sports I can watch all live games
    BT Sport will do the same when they go live from 2015

Europa League compared to champions league it has lot less profile and interest unless the team you support happens to be in it of course

I just wonder one thing will BT Sport increase the subscription price to help cover the bid or depend on advertising revenue

As long as I get to see liverpool play live from 2015 in champions league as I expect they will be back in the champions league by then and I'm not dreaming lol

Unfortunately sporting rights are not sold on the basis of what you expect ;)

Sky agreed to take Irish rights in co-existence with the providers here. BT are a different animal (they mightn't have launched here but for agreement with Setanta) and they might not want to buy the Irish rights. It's obvious their priority isn't Irish subscribers for reasons I've already indicated.

And if they don't buy the Irish rights, as I said, you will have no choice but to accept geo-blocking - and it would happen precisely because the CL is high-profile!

Advertisement