Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Fantasy Football Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

manual_man wrote: »
    Good chance too. Though there's always Ferreira. And Ivanvic is back for the 2nd game. Torres up front might be a good bet

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Feck it I've brought in Maxi for Valencia for another -4. Come on Super Maxi :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Used my WC. Have 10 players playing 2 Games with Rooney being only guy with 1.

I like my team because been thinking about week after also, so I am happy enough with it now and hopefully will be worth keeping my WC for so late in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Used my WC. Have 10 players playing 2 Games with Rooney being only guy with 1.

I like my team because been thinking about week after also, so I am happy enough with it now and hopefully will be worth keeping my WC for so late in game.

Ya cagey saving fecker!! I bet you used to save a few sly sweets when you were a young lad, till everyone elses were gone!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He could peel an orange in his pocket! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Been thinking about the last 2 games, they can often be really wierd, with some teams having nothing to play for, players being rotated and also others with a cup game and also rotating players. However there is one thing often overlooked imo, and thats teams wanting to sign off with a win in front of their home fans in the last home game of the season.

IMO it can be good to have players from teams in the below scenarios.

Team with something to play for at home v team with nothing to play for.
    Team with something to play for away v team with nothing to play for.
    Team with nothing to play for playing final home game v team with nothing to play for.
    Team who have just achieved goal (championship, CL, safe from relegation) v anyone.

In the last scenario the team who have just achieved goal can take the foot off the gas, however there's no one in that position as of now, so ignoring it for now.

Given the other 3 scenarios I've tried to pick out some favourable teams fixture wise for GW 37 and GW 38. This could obv change with more than half of GW 36 to go.

GW 37
    Arsenal v Norwich
    Fulham v Sunderland
    Man Utd v Swansea

GW 38
    Swansea v Liverpool
    Everton v Newcastle
    Spurs v Fulham
    West Brom v Arsenal
    Wigan v Wolves

Its not exactly rocket science I know but worth bearing in mind. And of course things will change quite a bit, especially the teams to look out for in GW38

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Couldn't have had a worse run the last few weeks. From 3rd in boards to 21st, absolute blow-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

manual_man wrote: »
    Good chance too. Though there's always Ferreira. And Ivanvic is back for the 2nd game. Torres up front might be a good bet

Would have turned out to be a VERY good bet for anyone who took a punt!

Quick question...

If one of your double gameweek players plays only 1 match do you still get the points from your first sub?

In my case I have RTaylor, played a miserable 18 minutes against Wigan, hoping he dosnt play at all now against Chelsea but if he dosnt will Valencia(my 1st sub) come on for him for missing his second match???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Quick question...

If one of your double gameweek players plays only 1 match do you still get the points from your first sub?

In my case I have RTaylor, played a miserable 18 minutes against Wigan, hoping he dosnt play at all now against Chelsea but if he dosnt will Valencia(my 1st sub) come on for him for missing his second match???

No, if taylor played in the first game, only his points will count regardless if he doesnt appear the second fixture.

• Advertisement

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    No, if taylor played in the first game, only his points will count regardless if he doesnt appear the second fixture.

F*ck!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i used 2 wildcards , 1 normal one and the other one was the xmas wildcard.

do you not get 2 wildcards per season excluding the xmas one? (my 1st season playing)

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

do you not get 2 wildcards per season excluding the xmas one? (my 1st season playing)

cheers

You get 2 in total. 1 that you can use at any stage during the whole season, then a bonus one that can only be used in January (like the transfer window).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

carlcon wrote: »

cheers

You get 2 in total. 1 that you can use at any stage during the whole season, then a bonus one that can only be used in January (like the transfer window).

Alright Ye, I was under the impression you were allowed 2 per season plus the Xmas bonus one.

Cheers man

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Alright Ye, I was under the impression you were allowed 2 per season plus the Xmas bonus one.

Cheers man

There was an extra wildcard this year after week 1 because they fooked up the site in advance of the start of the league and people hadn't access to make changes.

It was fairly annoying for me. Had a great first week and had a decent team but then everyone had near or near enough the same players after week 1 and seeing that Rooney looked good.

Next year will be good because those who don't get their team right from the start will be punished by having to use their wildcard early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Lemlin wrote: »
    There was an extra wildcard this year after week 1 because they fooked up the site in advance of the start of the league and people hadn't access to make changes.

It was fairly annoying for me. Had a great first week and had a decent team but then everyone had near or near enough the same players after week 1 and seeing that Rooney looked good.

Next year will be good because those who don't get their team right from the start will be punished by having to use their wildcard early.

I agree its aprt of the reason why im further down in my leagues than i usually am. I made little to no changes after gw1 as had prepared a lot during the summer, went in the bin after the cock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

POKERKING wrote: »
    I agree its aprt of the reason why im further down in my leagues than i usually am. I made little to no changes after gw1 as had prepared a lot during the summer, went in the bin after the cock up.

No offence but that is a poor excuse, if you had a good gw1 and didn't need to make many changes yet still were overtaken by people who had a poor gw1 than chances are you would be still in the same position you are today.

Blaming one gameweek cock up out of 36 for your position now doesn't make much sense. Its a whole seasons worth of choices which determines where you finish (plus a good deal of luck)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

duiggers wrote: »
    No offence but that is a poor excuse, if you had a good gw1 and didn't need to make many changes yet still were overtaken by people who had a poor gw1 than chances are you would be still in the same position you are today.

Blaming one gameweek cock up out of 36 for your position now doesn't make much sense. Its a whole seasons worth of choices which determines where you finish (plus a good deal of luck)

I must say, Id agree with the lads, The fantasy team really ****ed up by giving this extra wildcard... I had a bad first week, so it suited me fine, but it was a game-changer and a major disadvantage to those who started with a form team..

There's something really flawed with that logic.

Group A had a good start.
    Group B didn't.

Both Group A and Group B were given the exact same wildcards and exact same situation.

Group A then blames those wildcards on falling behind B?

That really makes no sense. If you fell behind after going ahead, it's because you made worse decisions than group B. That's it. Every single one of us was on the same playing field.

If you chose to not change your team, that was your decision. One you must have gotten wrong in order to be lower than you would like. You had the exact same opportunity as everyone else.

If we weren't given the wildcards, you still wouldn't have changed your team, so you'd pretty much have the same points as you do now.

Then, looking at the first 2 or 3 GWs, you'll see that the likes of RVP, BAE, Bale, Nani, and Dempsey (players who were to become "must-haves" at various different points) did not start off brightly, so anyone who benefited from bringing them in (especially RVP) did so based on good decision making, not just copying whoever did well in weeks 1 and 2.

Actually, looking at the "form" players... if you stuck with the GW 1&2 form players, you would have had a pretty lousy season overall. So if anything, if someone started poorly and then switched to those "form" players, they mostly would have failed even harder.

Cahill, Ward, Klasnic, De Laet, Milner, Anderson, Jarvis, Bent... just look at the long list of names on the GW1&2 "Dream Teams" that would have looked like great options after 2 weeks, and look at how they failed.

Seriously, getting that wildcard did not help people with poorer teams who then switched to form players.

The rare few who didn't have Silva would be the one exception, but he would have just come in with a normal transfer anyway.

There's something really flawed with that logic.

Group A had a good start.
    Group B didn't.

Both Group A and Group B were given the exact same wildcards and exact same situation.

Group A then blames those wildcards on falling behind B?

That really makes no sense. If you fell behind after going ahead, it's because you made worse decisions than group B. That's it. Every single one of us was on the same playing field.

If you chose to not change your team, that was your decision. One you must have gotten wrong in order to be lower than you would like. You had the exact same opportunity as everyone else.

If we weren't given the wildcards, you still wouldn't have changed your team, so you'd pretty much have the same points as you do now.

Then, looking at the first 2 or 3 GWs, you'll see that the likes of RVP, BAE, Bale, Nani, and Dempsey (players who were to become "must-haves" at various different points) did not start off brightly, so anyone who benefited from bringing them in (especially RVP) did so based on good decision making, not just copying whoever did well in weeks 1 and 2.

Actually, looking at the "form" players... if you stuck with the GW 1&2 form players, you would have had a pretty lousy season overall. So if anything, if someone started poorly and then switched to those "form" players, they mostly would have failed even harder.

Cahill, Ward, Klasnic, De Laet, Milner, Anderson, Jarvis, Bent... just look at the long list of names on the GW1&2 "Dream Teams" that would have looked like great options after 2 weeks, and look at how they failed.

Seriously, getting that wildcard did not help people with poorer teams who then switched to form players.

The rare few who didn't have Silva would be the one exception, but he would have just come in with a normal transfer anyway.

I think your logic is flawed.
    Let's look at it this way:

Team A gets 50 points week 1.
    Team B gets 10 points week 1.

Both are then given a wildcard to get ready for week 2.

Team A has very few changes to make.
    Team B makes loads of changes and avails of the 'extra wildcard'.

Both go ahead for the season as normal.

Under normal circumstances though, Team B would either have had to use their wildcard after week 1 or would have been at a disadvantage through points losses. So Team A is at a disadvantage because Team B has an extra chance to prepare their team having seen a weekend of PL action.

This season the advantage of doing good work in pre-season and having your team ready was all negated by the extra wildcard provided.

Nobody is saying we would of stuck with the "form" players from week 1 and 2 but wildcards and extra wildcards benefitted those who didn't have a strong team at the start, not those who did.

You'd also be surprised just how many people can have a big build up and then lose interest after the first week when all their hopes and dreams turn into a nightmare as well!

• Advertisement

I think your logic is flawed.
    Let's look at it this way:

Team A gets 50 points week 1.
    Team B gets 10 points week 1.

Both are then given a wildcard to get ready for week 2.

Team A has very few changes to make.
    Team B makes loads of changes and avails of the 'extra wildcard'.

Both go ahead for the season as normal.

The highlighted line is the one I don't agree with. Having a good week has never meant you have a good team. There were plenty of players to bring in that may not have been part of a good first week.

Like the list of players I gave before, the chances are that if you had a really good first week (say 60-80 points), you wouldn't have come anywhere near that in the following weeks, because there was a really quick change in fortunes for all but a couple (Vorm and Silva come to mind).

While I do see how stupid it is that the site screwed up and we got the WC, I still don't see how it's a reason for anyone to "start well, then have those who started worse pass them" - which is basically the point that has been made by 2 or 3 people now.

If someone passed you, it's because they made better decisions. And if they simply used the WC to pick form players from GW 1, then they would have mostly sucked and not caught anyone.

There's an argument that the WC made most teams similar, and therefore stopped people from pulling away or catching up... creating a stalemate scenario... but it couldn't have made a player behind catch up just by picking the form players.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

I can't believe the level of interest I've lost in this game in the last two weeks

End of the season can't come quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

The highlighted line is the one I don't agree with. Having a good week has never meant you have a good team. There were plenty of players to bring in that may not have been part of a good first week.

Like the list of players I gave before, the chances are that if you had a really good first week (say 60-80 points), you wouldn't have come anywhere near that in the following weeks, because there was a really quick change in fortunes for all but a couple (Vorm and Silva come to mind).

While I do see how stupid it is that the site screwed up and we got the WC, I still don't see how it's a reason for anyone to "start well, then have those who started worse pass them" - which is basically the point that has been made by 2 or 3 people now.

If someone passed you, it's because they made better decisions. And if they simply used the WC to pick form players from GW 1, then they would have mostly sucked and not caught anyone.

There's an argument that the WC made most teams similar, and therefore stopped people from pulling away or catching up... creating a stalemate scenario... but it couldn't have made a player behind catch up just by picking the form players.

You are missing the point its not about getting players who are form players in week one its getting players who are getting games from week one and not leaving you with using an early wildcard or having to make lots of subs early.

I agree with lemlin, im not saying i would be wining the game or anything, my point was in previous years my current points total would put me higher in most leagues than I am currently. Obviousley this isnt only down to the WC but i do think it has played a part.

I think and am surprised as you seem to know your stuff you are underestimating the value of getting it right for gw 1. Players who we take for granted as starters now were not guaranteed starters at start if season and once a manager picks his team for the 1st game of the season it gives you a great idea of who he values as a guaranteed starter and who might struggle appearance wise. It also shows who will be oop. There were lots of question marks before the season started for example torres and drogba, who would play on the wing for united, who was 1st choice striker, who was starting in defence for swansea/newcastle/Qpr etc etc loads more i cant think of. You would be surprised at the amount of people who had players playing in their team in gw 1 who didnt actually start in gw1. This element of surpise went with the wc and meant if you, like me, had bothered to get team sheets from friendlies, follow other teams forums etc the advantage was gone. Some people never recover(lose interest) if they have a bad start, but it went out the window this time imo as they got a free ride.

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    I can't believe the level of interest I've lost in this game in the last two weeks

Agreed, all the effort I put into preparing for GW 36 to end up scoring lower than most managers who haven't even checked their team in weeks. Roll on the end of football altogether until the Euros!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

DazzlerIE wrote: »

Ditto. Had team setup for double gameweek with 8 players, 2 end up getting injured a few days before hand and the rest do terribly. The players who only had one game ended up out performing those with 2 games!! Disappointing finish to the FPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I think as a whole, this has been the worst season of FPL yet.

They need to drop the january wildcard, its not going to encourage players (100+ points behind to start playing again) and it ruins the fun for everyone else as they all have the same teams.

The bonus points are even more of a joke than previous years but my biggest gripe is having to wait till Monday to see who gets them. It used to be a source of excitement an hour after the last match of the day as you were still buzzing from the action. Being in work on a Monday morning doesnt have the same feel.

I think as a whole, this has been the worst season of FPL yet.

They need to drop the january wildcard, its not going to encourage players (100+ points behind to start playing again) and it ruins the fun for everyone else as they all have the same teams.

The bonus points are even more of a joke than previous years but my biggest gripe is having to wait till Monday to see who gets them. It used to be a source of excitement an hour after the last match of the day as you were still buzzing from the action. Being in work on a Monday morning doesnt have the same feel.

Agree with everything here. People will moan regardless but there are easy solutions to most of the main problems. They'll get lazy though until there's any real challenger to their crown.

You are missing the point its not about getting players who are form players in week one its getting players who are getting games from week one and not leaving you with using an early wildcard or having to make lots of subs early.

I agree with lemlin, im not saying i would be wining the game or anything, my point was in previous years my current points total would put me higher in most leagues than I am currently. Obviousley this isnt only down to the WC but i do think it has played a part.

I think and am surprised as you seem to know your stuff you are underestimating the value of getting it right for gw 1. Players who we take for granted as starters now were not guaranteed starters at start if season and once a manager picks his team for the 1st game of the season it gives you a great idea of who he values as a guaranteed starter and who might struggle appearance wise. It also shows who will be oop. There were lots of question marks before the season started for example torres and drogba, who would play on the wing for united, who was 1st choice striker, who was starting in defence for swansea/newcastle/Qpr etc etc loads more i cant think of. You would be surprised at the amount of people who had players playing in their team in gw 1 who didnt actually start in gw1. This element of surpise went with the wc and meant if you, like me, had bothered to get team sheets from friendlies, follow other teams forums etc the advantage was gone. Some people never recover(lose interest) if they have a bad start, but it went out the window this time imo as they got a free ride.

I couldn't have put it better myself. In week 1, I had Rooney, Silva, Ashley Cole and, believe it or not, Bent and Given. Bent and Given were actually on form then and Bent got me 24 as captain in the second week. Rooney, Silva and Cole all had great first weeks and were on-form for a good number of weeks.

I had taken the punt on these players and it paid off. The wildcard then allowed people who had plumped, for say, Toure over Silva, or van Persie over Rooney, to transfer these players in without taking a points hit or without using their wildcard.

What Pokerking said above is totally correct. The wildcard after week 1 put everyone back on a level playing field after gameweek 1, therefore diminishing the effort people who had studied pre-season form had put in.

I'm all for going back to one wildcard anyway as people have mentioned. It makes the game alot harder. The January wildcard is unnecessary IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm all for going back to one wildcard anyway as people have mentioned. It makes the game alot harder. The January wildcard is unnecessary IMO.

I have to disagree on the January wildcard, I think it provides a nice boost of interest to the majority of players. I have led my leagues all year, but even I was keen to get to the wildcard, not to just get a few in form players in, but because it allows you to make strategic changes affecting your team long term.

Any player sitting 50 points back at christmas, only able to change their team one player at a time, that player is as likely to say "feck it" and stop bothering completely as he is to patiently stick with it and hope he catches up over a few months. Don't forget, the majority of FF players are casual. Some are stattos, like a certain crybaby in here, but the majority have no real investment and are very easy to lose as regular players. Premier league FF is completely right to keep measures that will encourage these casual players to keep showing an interest.

If you say forget the casual players, then perhaps take a look at my league, where its obvious that most of the players stopped giving anything but token interest months ago. I have lead from the start and am almost two hundred points ahead of my nearest rival, and its obvious that everybody has just given up. Frankly, the league is now pointless and boring to play, and anything, such as wildcards, that can prevent situations like that are to be welcomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

had a fairly poor season, should finish in the top 100k, a far cry from my 15k finish last year. had a great battle all season with my mate though, were neck and neck all season but he's pulled away the last few weeks. so ya, roll on the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement