Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America - Land of freedom, liberty & justice.

• 28-10-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

A 3 day suspension (i.e vacation) from school for this vicious assault.

And yes, I'm aware than all countries have hate crimes and issues with homophobia. But few countries so passionately boast about its freedom, equality etc and yet do so little to protect those rights for its most vulnerable citizens. It's the hypocrisy that makes them special.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

****ing sickening. All that for being gay, really just can't conceive of why people hate other people so much for something they can't do anything about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

And yes, I'm aware than all countries have hate crimes and issues with homophobia. But few countries so passionately boast about its freedom, equality etc and yet do so little to protect those rights for its most vulnerable citizens. It's the hypocrisy that makes them special.

I think the same could be said of many so called 'free', 'democratic' and 'open' societies in the West. But America is just a bigger target to single out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

horrible stuff, cant understand why some people have so much hate towards anything thats different from than themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fo Real2

They hang homosexuals in Saudi Arabia. But you don't bother posting videos about that because it doesn't sit well with your Anti-American agenda. Why did you even bring America into it? The video show the despicable actions of one individual, not a whole country. Whereas the execution of gays in the Islamic world is state-sponsored. Now, which case do you think deserves more attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Its fúcking rediculous why do people get so upset about where other people put there dicks?
    Is it they see themselves in these poor guys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

A young homosexual was burned alive in Scotland last week. ( Although the evidence is not conclusive on homosexuality being the reason yet).

This video is sickening, and the guy should be in jail.

However, America does have laws against this kind of stuff, and she is bringing a case to the prosecutors office.

Added to that - the you tube video is from a piece by American Television about the incident, indicating that Americans in general care.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Disgusting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Fo Real2 wrote: »
    They hang homosexuals in Saudi Arabia. But you don't bother posting videos about that because it doesn't sit well with your Anti-American agenda. Why did you even bring America into it? The video show the despicable actions of one individual, not a whole country. Whereas the execution of gays in the Islamic world is state-sponsored. Now, which case do you think deserves more attention?

Saudi Arabia doesn't claim to protect the rights of gays. And it doesn't proclaim equal rights for all.

Yes, I don't agree with how Saudi Arabia does things. They're bastards actually when it comes to basic human rights. But at least they're not hypocritical about it.
    I target America because they so strongly claim to be the greatest nation on earth, so fervently push their 'way of life' across the globe, and yet they consistently fail to protect minorities from abuse. There are even members of their government who openly support 'gay bashing' (not literally..I hope).

Saudi Arabia doesn't claim to protect the rights of gays. And it doesn't proclaim equal rights for all.

Yes, I don't agree with how Saudi Arabia does things. They're bastards actually when it comes to basic human rights. But at least they're not hypocritical about it.
    I target America because they so strongly claim to be the greatest nation on earth, so fervently push their 'way of life' across the globe, and yet they consistently fail to protect minorities from abuse. There are even members of their government who openly support 'gay bashing' (not literally..I hope).

Their claim to be the greatest nation on Earth is not far off economically. Their "way of life" is largely copied in the rest of the world, and not imposed, and they clearly do try and protect minorities from abuse. In fact affirmative action, and other pro-minority legalisms originated in the US.

Yes, their economic model of giving the unemployed food stamps is something we should all aspire to. I for one would welcome the green dollar here if it brought such prosperity to us, the poor Irish. Such tripe.

• Advertisement

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Yes, their economic model of giving the unemployed food stamps is something we should all aspire to. I for one would welcome the green dollar here if it brought such prosperity to us, the poor Irish. Such tripe.

Food stamps can't be spent on any thing else, it is just a currency for one item only. Don't see the problem. Its a form of re-distribution.

They are still much richer per capita than most countries in the world, certainly better off than any "red" State you might eulogise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

This is exactly it - Couldn't have said it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fo Real2

@CrazyRabbit: You completely missed my point. Whether you did so deliberately, I don't know. I will repeat it again in the hope that you may actually read it this time.

The American state is not anti-homosexual. In fact, it is more progressive regarding gay rights than Ireland. Gay marriage is legal in six American states including New York and Iowa, whereas it's not recognised in Ireland. The video shows the actions of one individual. It is not representative of the American state. In fact, American media have picked up on this story and are outraged.

Compare this with Islamic countries, where crowds cheer on the government sponsored executions of gays. And don't get me started on Mahmoud "gays don't exist in Iran" Ahmadinejad or the infamous eat the poo-poo video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjnrLt3VuSM ) from Uganda which we've seen on here before.

Please change the title of the thread to something more accurate, like "violent homophobic attack on school kid". The fact that you are exploiting the victim's trauma for your own political point scoring is disgusting to me. Oh, and post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

This is The Cool Vids Pics & links forum. Debate and discussion on vids, pics or links where the charter permits it is encouraged here as long as it progresses in a civil manner.

Opinions on the relevant post can be posted on thread; opinions on the poster can not.
    From now on, any posts that contain unsolicited moderation advice; contain derogatory comments; or contain attacks aimed specifically at individual posters will be removed and infractions may be issued.
    Play nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

The American state is not anti-homosexual.

From approx 1993 up to present date more than 13,000 americans were discharged from the military solely for self professing that they were gay, lesbian or bisexual under the "Dont Ask Dont Tell" policy. Only recently has there been a turn around on the matter, after nearly 20 years.

A senator by the name of Inhofe (not sure if he's a senator anymore) openly issued a statement saying he did not hire gay staff "in case of conflict". This man worked for the "state", and he didnt like gay people...[SIZE=+1]
    [/SIZE]
    I dont think your statement has any grounding in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Being anti gay is a pillar of the republican party. that's quite a few of the freedom loving Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

RichieC wrote: »
    Being anti gay is a pillar of the republican party. that's quite a few of the freedom loving Americans.
    And its always republicans caught with men for some reason :rolleyes:

Yahew wrote: »
    Food stamps can't be spent on any thing else, it is just a currency for one item only. Don't see the problem. Its a form of re-distribution.

They are still much richer per capita than most countries in the world, certainly better off than any "red" State you might eulogise.

The red refers to a football team I support. Good man though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

@CrazyRabbit: You completely missed my point. Whether you did so deliberately, I don't know. I will repeat it again in the hope that you may actually read it this time.

The American state is not anti-homosexual. In fact, it is more progressive regarding gay rights than Ireland. Gay marriage is legal in six American states including New York and Iowa, whereas it's not recognised in Ireland. The video shows the actions of one individual. It is not representative of the American state. In fact, American media have picked up on this story and are outraged.

Compare this with Islamic countries, where crowds cheer on the government sponsored executions of gays. And don't get me started on Mahmoud "gays don't exist in Iran" Ahmadinejad or the infamous eat the poo-poo video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjnrLt3VuSM ) from Uganda which we've seen on here before.

Please change the title of the thread to something more accurate, like "violent homophobic attack on school kid". The fact that you are exploiting the victim's trauma for your own political point scoring is disgusting to me. Oh, and post reported.

Gay bashing is common in the US. So the video is representative.
    There has been many young gay teens committing suicide lately in the US because of bullying. Because of this, a bill was proposed to start educating kids in school about gay history and tolerance towards gays etc.
    The bill was blocked by Republicans. And the Democrats barely pushed it.

There are state funded schools in the US that even ban LGBT societies. Yet the government tolerates this.

Oh, and 6 out of 52 states legalising gay marriage isn't too great, especially since it's still not official recognised by federal (country-wide) law. It's kinda like saying that gay marriage is legal in Munster, but nowhere else.

Simple fact...while there are efforts by some in the US to make homosexuality more accepted, the majority of the American public and the politicians are still homophobic, at least to some degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

This is absolutly disgusting. I feel so sorry for this boy, especially having this kind of video circulating about him.
    Easy for any of us to sit here and debate on saudi vs america but at the end of the day this is a tape of a young boy getting bet for no reason other than being gay.
    In all honestly if this was my son I would be taking the same actions as what this mother is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

Thats horrible. Would nearly place money on the attacker being a closet gay who is acting out/ hates himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Gay bashing is common in the US. So the video is representative.
    There has been many young gay teens committing suicide lately in the US because of bullying. Because of this, a bill was proposed to start educating kids in school about gay history and tolerance towards gays etc.
    The bill was blocked by Republicans. And the Democrats barely pushed it.

There are state funded schools in the US that even ban LGBT societies. Yet the government tolerates this.

Oh, and 6 out of 52 states legalising gay marriage isn't too great, especially since it's still not official recognised by federal (country-wide) law. It's kinda like saying that gay marriage is legal in Munster, but nowhere else.

Simple fact...while there are efforts by some in the US to make homosexuality more accepted, the majority of the American public and the politicians are still homophobic, at least to some degree.

Gay bashing is pretty common in Ireland too, I think there would be a strong reaction to any school here where they tried to set up a LGBT society. It's possible to get married for homosexuals in America, it isn't here. Can't see how we are in a position to criticise America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Thats disgusting, He will do that to the wrong person someday and his block will be knocked off. Scumbag.

Advertisement