Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Independent/Times Exam Diaries (Should be ashamed!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Heh heh heh, there is no need to say she 'will' fail at life. She has already, after throwing tonnes of money at her education and going to the best of the best of schools, having had twice the time of a regular student, and doing garaunteed A subjects like classics (or maybe she's just doing it now), failed twice. And then to brag about what you get on your THIRD sitting of the leaving........

I would say this is more worthy of pity than jealousy. Medecine seems to be full of those types. People who do it for the sake of the social merits of saying "I'm doing medecine" and then think this makes them intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

LPB wrote: »
    Laura Brady (Times Diaryist) here. First time I've come and checked out these blogs today - (too busy being self-absorbed the rest of the time I'm sure!) I have to say, I found all the people here ranting about me to be hilarious. I didn't really intend the diary's to be taken seriously. I just figured everyone was sick of hearing about 'poor stressed LC students' so I made a bit of a parody of myself to take the serious edge off things. I also had to write the columns directly after the exams, and they're obviously not my priority at this time of year. Also, I read a few posts of people saying they knew me or saw me on Leeson St, when thats just not true. I'm glad to see that the columns have at least made waves - I just thought that more people would realise that it was all supposed to be a joke.

Um, ya, I'm still not believing you! I'd say that too if people took what I wrote badly.

For what it's worth, my dad thinks your column is hilarious, but he reads them not expecting or wanting to hear about the actual Leaving Cert. Other people do want to hear about the exams. As a teacher, I read the exam coverage to find out what students thought about the exams.

Fair enough, write a humorous diary. I enjoy that type of writing. But you can be humorous while still talking about the exams. No one really cares about your life outside the exams, and it is an exam diary.

Good luck to you in whatever you do.

PS. The plural of 'diary' is not 'diary's'. Just in case you do English in college! They frown on spelling and grammatical errors in English degrees! :p (Don't worry, I'm not the grammar police! I make mistakes all the time!)

hahhahahahahhaahha. Good one, Grammar police.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

:rolleyes:

Come on that's hardly her... "diaryist"?? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

my boyfriend made a good point today - said she's not a crap writer, she just writes crap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I haven't seen it, but apparently the Laura Brady column isn't in today's Irish Times, and there are some letters written in giving out about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Yeah, 3 letters about it, all in complaint. The column is there though(and I still enjoyed reading it =/)

I doubt that's her by the way, but LPB you could give a sneak-peak of tomorrow's article if you want to prove it's you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

She DOES have a column in today's edition and indicates this is her last one as she only has classical studies left. Underneath it there is a sort of caption saying she will be writing about college life in the autumn in the same paper. I can't see that happening tbh as no one seems to like her but I suppose it's generating interest which is, of course, all the Irish times cares about- selling papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

rc28 wrote: »
    Underneath it there is a sort of caption saying she will be writing about college life in the autumn in the same paper.

I think it's comical that, after tarnishing her paper's image among households (one of today's complaint letters was from somebody's mammy!) across the country, Madam editor opts to continue publishing this ridiculous garbage in September. Still, it's to her own detriment...if it takes Ms. Brady 3 cracks at the Leaving Cert, she's going to be writing in the Times about 'college life' for YEARS to come, and judging her personality from her articles, I DOUBT she works for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

Laura Brady (Times Diaryist) here. First time I've come and checked out these blogs today - (too busy being self-absorbed the rest of the time I'm sure!) I have to say, I found all the people here ranting about me to be hilarious. I didn't really intend the diary's to be taken seriously. I just figured everyone was sick of hearing about 'poor stressed LC students' so I made a bit of a parody of myself to take the serious edge off things. I also had to write the columns directly after the exams, and they're obviously not my priority at this time of year. Also, I read a few posts of people saying they knew me or saw me on Leeson St, when thats just not true. I'm glad to see that the columns have at least made waves - I just thought that more people would realise that it was all supposed to be a joke.

Ah stop trying to redeem yourself fake Laura Brady... You're just not a likable person and that comes across in your writing. It might be because you don't talk enough about the leaving cert but more than likely it's because your head is stuck up your own arse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

I doubt it was a joke...

Even if it was, an exam times article in the Irish Times isnt actually the best medium to take the piss. People read those looking for someone to identify with, and someone to kinda share their stress with. Someones story so that, when they read it, they can see 'Yeah, i felt that way too' or 'Yeah, i should do that'

Yapping on about Sex and the City and 500 euro shoes is not how you do that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Right, who wants to post up the letters of complaint for me? Or a brief synopsis of the letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

For those looking for a further laugh: read here. Apparantly Ms. Brady is renting out her writing services for other misfortunate editors. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

I also doubt it's a joke - they already have the RO'CK column if they want to make fun of D4s, for one thing.

However, if - and it's a big if - but IF it was indeed all a big joke ... lol, we've all been majorly Keyser Sözed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

Hey, did anyone check out blogwatch today? Didn't manage to get a copy today myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

BlueCam wrote: »
    For those looking for a further laugh: read here. Apparantly Ms. Brady is renting out her writing services for other misfortunate editors. :D

Laugh. Out. Loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

I have written a series of articles published in a leading ational newspaper but I am also open to transcribing and editing work.

"ational newspaper" :O whats an "a tional" newspaper? ;)

meh, people are being a tad bit unfair. Her articles are amusing (sometimes for then wrong reasons). I like reading her column. She is a good writer and probably capable of doing well in freelance. So, anyone know what was in Blogwatch today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

I don't get the joke. She's a good writer, and seems to enjoy it, so she's looking for more opportunities to write. I've only ever heard people complain about her for not talking enough about the exam, so I don't see that being a problem if she gets a personal column that has nothing to do with exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

She probably considers that 'work' and all.

poor poor Laura.

It is her immodest and exagerated self-promotion that is funny. It also has a bit to do with the exams, she mentions them alot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Has anyone mentioned the fact that the yoke doing the Times' exam diary stated explicitly what her English essay was about (lesbian Geisha girls....my god :rolleyes: ). Considering the high amount of teachers who read the Times, especially on the day after the first exam to see the reaction to day one, is it not a bit unfair that the chances are reasonably high that whoever corrects the exam will know he/she has her paper? I mean how many lesbian Geisha girl essays are there out there, plus this sort of hilarity would spread quickly around a staff room/teachers!

Apologies if its already been brought up but I couldn't relive another 14 pages about that girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I would actually love to read her lesbian geisha story. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the fact that the yoke doing the Times' exam diary stated explicitly what her English essay was about (lesbian Geisha girls....my god :rolleyes: ). Considering the high amount of teachers who read the Times, especially on the day after the first exam to see the reaction to day one, is it not a bit unfair that the chances are reasonably high that whoever corrects the exam will know he/she has her paper? I mean how many lesbian Geisha girl essays are there out there, plus this sort of hilarity would spread quickly around a staff room/teachers!

Apologies if its already been brought up but I couldn't relive another 14 pages about that girl!

we were always told in school not to make the essay too racy cos you don't know who could be correcting it - it could be a funky new "make learning fun" teacher who'll like it but it could be a nun...

love how many times she mentions the column and her exams. she's a good writer, just needs to tone down the egoism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

The 'PCLM' marking scheme will protect her...at least I'm hoping it will on account of I decided to write on why I detest Adrienne Rich!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Livo wrote: »
    we were always told in school not to make the essay too racy cos you don't know who could be correcting it - it could be a funky new "make learning fun" teacher who'll like it but it could be a nun...

love how many times she mentions the column and her exams. she's a good writer, just needs to tone down the egoism...

+1

And doesnt she have the right to be proud of her exam results

She really isn't a good writer tbh. Not only should she not have written such a controversial essay (Sister Asumpta might just be handed her paper to correct), but by making it plainly obvious to the corrector who she is, surely there's a chance that the corrector will also know she's failed twice before and so may be a bit more generous in how they correct the essay.

She really isn't a good writer tbh. Not only should she not have written such a controversial essay (Sister Asumpta might just be handed her paper to correct), but by making it plainly obvious to the corrector who she is, surely there's a chance that the corrector will also know she's failed twice before and so may be a bit more generous in how they correct the essay.

She never failed english ,she got an A1.Click on the link. I also believe she is a good writer but what she is writing about is very self obsessed and has nothing to do with the leaving cert.That is why i don't like these diaries .

I know she didn't fail English, I meant she failed to get the LC points she wanted twice, as she repeatedly reminds the readers at every possible phase. And she really isn't much of a writer, vapid, humourless, and pretentious. If she wants to continue in the written media perhaps she could be the new Roisin Ingle, or write a toe-curlingly precocious novel like that other girl from Fair City who got 600 points.

Lol good suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I also had to write the columns directly after the exams, and they're obviously not my priority at this time of year.

Not your priority? But staying up til 2 am watching Sex and the City and getting up to surf the net for a pair of designer shoes are your priorites?
    Hmmmm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement