Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Desktop Build

Options
  • 31-10-2014 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, a friend is looking for a computer for general use i.e office work, microsoft word, web browsing etc.
    If you guys can recommend a good snappy build it would be appreciated.

1. What is your budget? [Nothing really dead set but 500euro around or whatever you think is sufficient for the build]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Web browsing, Office work , Microsoft word etc.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [Not sure, maybe 22"]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    Yes need all those peripherals.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Any method]

9. When are you purchasing? [In next two weeks]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Donegal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Updated with proper question list

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

Item|Price
    BenQ GL2450 |€ 119,00
    Logitech Mouse M100 |€ 7,99
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s | € 48,75
    4GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 | € 34,74
    Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition Box, 1150 | € 61,64
    Corsair VS Serie VS350, Non-Modular, 80+ | € 29,90
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz | € 12,99
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit (SB-Version) | € 88,81
    Antec VSK3000E USB 3.0 Midi-Tower - schwarz | € 27,45
    ASUS H81M-PLUS, Sockel 1150, mATX | € 53,54
    Logitech S120 schwarz, 2.0 System | € 9,79
    Total | € 494,60

I'd recommend buying the keyboard from Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-K120-Keyboard-UK-Layout/dp/B003PO22H2/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1414953692&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=keyboard

Note: My build may not be the best but I'm sure someone else will be able to make a better build on the forums. :)

Also, the hard-drive may be quite large for your needs but I wouldn't recommend below 1tb because the price difference between 500gb and 1tb hard-drives are very close from what I've seen.

Forgot to include a wireless card, I use the TL-WN822N and can't recommend it enough although I know it's a bit old fashion to be using something like that. I'm sure other people can recommend a better and more modern card/adapter. :)

Thanks very much Ninja, Nice list. You have everything covered.

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks very much Ninja, Nice list. You have everything covered.

No problem, best of luck with the build. :)

Be sure to run everything through Geizhals to save some money.

- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056907965

• Advertisement

Do hardwareversand still build it for you for extra money?
    If anyone else wants to post any alternative builds I would be interested to see them, Thanks.
    Not sure should I get one built for my friend or tell him just to get one on Dell. Although the Dell ones come with windows 8 and that would be waste of money itself.

Do hardwareversand still build it for you for extra money?
    If anyone else wants to post any alternative builds I would be interested to see them, Thanks.
    Not sure should I get one built for my friend or tell him just to get one on Dell. Although the Dell ones come with windows 8 and that would be waste of money itself.

Yeah, if you go to: http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/Service/746/Rechner+-+Zusammenbau.article

Add that to the basket :D

If anything goes wrong with your custom built PC, have you any comeback with hardwareeversand?
    If so, you cant exactly send a whole pc tower to germany, or can you? if not I presume that means you would have to send them the part in question? Thanks

If anything goes wrong with your custom built PC, have you any comeback with hardwareeversand?
    If so, you cant exactly send a whole pc tower to germany, or can you? if not I presume that means you would have to send them the part in question? Thanks

Nah, I recently had mine pre-built, sent it back two weeks ago as the motherboard was broken in transport (one of the pci-e slots was hanging off more or less) but that was UPS's fault. Sent the whole full tower back to them including the boxes I received. I see it as: I paid for them to construct it, so they will do it again because I'm not paying for a service when I'm not availing of it. I haven't been informed as to the status of the pc for a week now so not sure what's happening. If I don't receive something soon from them, they'll be contacted.

Basically, if they mess it up, that's their fault, send it back and let them fix it. It's an inconvenience but at the same time, it has to be done. Be sure that if you're looking to contact them that you do it through a phone call. Alternatively, go to their facebook page, post on the page with your order number and then just ask for whatever information you need. :)

Advertisement