Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parcel Motel Sligo

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roger00

rusty999 wrote: »
    I just cannot believe they are moving away from the town centre at pearse road which is well established, and out to the bundoran road away from town.
    As {a former}--regular customer I wont be travelling out there.
    Good while it lasted but there seems to be trouble coming down the line--probably brexit done it no good.

I agree with you I'm going to start using an post address pal, its easier for me to collect from Castle Street post office. Might still use pm for oversized items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I just cannot believe they are moving away from the town centre at pearse road which is well established, and out to the bundoran road away from town.
    As {a former}--regular customer I wont be travelling out there.
    Good while it lasted but there seems to be trouble coming down the line--probably brexit done it no good.

Mullens Service stn is about the same distance from the centre of town as the 24hr on Pearse Rd. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

red sean wrote: »
    Mullens Service stn is about the same distance from the centre of town as the 24hr on Pearse Rd. :confused:

It is, but it's not on a bad national main road. Its on the wrong side of the town for about 70% of people in Sligo. Then again it won't affect me as I haven't used it since they increased their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

Had to pick up a parcel from here this afternoon. It really is on the wrong side of town unfortunately.
    I have a car so it doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I'm probably equal distance from where it was and where it is now but where it used to be was a least walkable for people in town. You can't walk out the Bundoran road to Mullens.

The problem with Mullen's is that it can be so busy, just trying to park can be difficult. And then exiting is an absolute nightmare at times. Most people will be turning back in towards town and you have to cross two busy lanes of traffic. I think it took me nearly 3 minutes wait for a gap to get out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Yeah, I could have got the nespresso capsules delivered to the Parcel Motel and saved money but having to cross to the far side of town to pick them up is the absolute worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

red sean wrote: »

Awful place to pick up from --just been there and its about the size of a good sized cupboard and a nightmare with traffic on the bundoran road when leaving.
    Not gonna last me thinks !!

Digiby wrote: »
    Had to pick up a parcel from here this afternoon. It really is on the wrong side of town unfortunately.
    I have a car so it doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I'm probably equal distance from where it was and where it is now but where it used to be was a least walkable for people in town. You can't walk out the Bundoran road to Mullens.

The problem with Mullen's is that it can be so busy, just trying to park can be difficult. And then exiting is an absolute nightmare at times. Most people will be turning back in towards town and you have to cross two busy lanes of traffic. I think it took me nearly 3 minutes wait for a gap to get out of there!

Totally agree, I had the exact same experience today. I used it about 5 times a week up until now and was handy for suppliers from Uk sending me stuff for my business but will be exploring my options now. Silly move in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Awful place to pick up from --just been there and its about the size of a good sized cupboard and a nightmare with traffic on the bundoran road when leaving.
    Not gonna last me thinks !!

Went there yesterday. It's an accident waiting to happen. Cars trying to get in and out of a really busy filling station and the parcel motel is shoved down the narrow side of the building.
    I don't know why they didn't move it to Cannings.

I agree. Cannings would have been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I think the motel is marketing itself as a customer attraction as well as a collection place. They had a survey last year and some of the questions were asking if you would call into the shop whilst visiting the Motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

T-Bird wrote: »
    I think the motel is marketing itself as a customer attraction as well as a collection place. They had a survey last year and some of the questions were asking if you would call into the shop whilst visiting the Motel.

I would have got petrol at Applegreens, wouldn't even think about it at Mullens' as they're consistently the most (or at least the 2nd most) expensive in town.

I would have got petrol at Applegreens, wouldn't even think about it at Mullens' as they're consistently the most (or at least the 2nd most) expensive in town.

Agree, I do the same. In average I would use parcel motel about it 10 times a year. The new place is far too busy and can be dangerous.

The new location is on my side of town but I would not use it now because of the above reasons.

I would be using it approx 40-50 times per year -maybe more. Not happy with the location its been moved to and will avoid using it as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I told Parcel Motel on Twitter that I think they've made a bad move because of all the reasons mentioned and was told by another Twitter user that I have a #firstworldproblem.
    Parcel Motel liked their tweet so that tells me they really couldn't care less.
    I'm not going to use them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

an post addresspal. similar cost. pick up from post office of your choice. that be a good alternative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

I think Parcel Wizard is better - directly to your door-the day that suits you.€3.90 per parcel i think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I agree that the new location is horrific, but what PM has over others is the ability to collect whenever you want 24 hours a day.

AddressPal and ParcelWizard only operate a 9 - 5 service really.

Also, I realised recently how flawed the AddressPal operation is when I was due to recieve a package and was on holidays. So PM is easy.. send your 4 digit code and mobile to a family member / friend and have them pick it up. But with AddressPal, when you recieve the notification of arrival - you've to print out a form attached to the email authorising a family member to collect said package, sign it and get it to a family member within 5 days (so hope you've access to a scanner) or the package will be returned to sender. Some highly flawed logic there!

Anyways, while AddressPal or ParcelWizard has probably taken a chunk of PM's business, I prefer PM for convenience if anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

With PW you don't have to worry about that as you can send it to work or any other address. And regarding PM - parcel stays there only 48h so if you are stuck or outside town and don't have anyone to collect it you will have to pay again for it.
    But anyway all of them are far better than paying postage from uk;)

Just got a letter in the door from An Post regarding a new service--or new to me anyway--called Delivery Box--a new way to receive letters packets and parcels apparently.
    Don't have time right now but will be checking it out later on.

I wouldn't even be considering it as an option if parcel had not moved to such a daft location in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Don't think it's a forwarding service (like AddressPal, PM or PW), just a secure post-box with a once-off free of €70..

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/Parcel+delivery+services/DeliveryBox.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Just a word of caution - An post will only deliver on post packages to the box. It is a two key system- they have one you the other.. Other delivery services can not access the unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I tried PW about a month ago, arranged delivery and waited. Nothing arrived. Rescheduled again and same result. I eventually found out how to contact them via facebook (impossible on their website) and left a message of complaint. They got back staying that package was in Collooney and got stuck in the system.

Hopefully this was a blip and has been fixed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's an ill wind ..... and all that.

I live on the bundoran side of town. I'd only use it 3 or 4 times a year so a spin up Pearse Rd was no big deal. Parking at at Mullen's can be a pain from noon till two but other than that it's not too bad. There's always Supermac's car park. There's a pedestrian gap into Mullen's and it's a bit easier for turning back into town. Having said that, I'd hate to have to walk from Cranmore or Cairns Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Just got a letter in the door from An Post regarding a new service--or new to me anyway--called Delivery Box--a new way to receive letters packets and parcels apparently.
    Don't have time right now but will be checking it out later on.

I wouldn't even be considering it as an option if parcel had not moved to such a daft location in Sligo.

I have it and it works very well. You can get registered post delivered to it without a signature, the scan a bar code on it.

It saves going to the post office if your delivery is to big to fit in the letterbox.

I can recommend it, as it saves trips to the post office when they cant deliver stuff.

Advertisement