Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

That's great Doctorwhogirl :D delighted for you!

I'm having a bit of a crappy weekend, I'm within my calories but I'm not 100% good (I had half a Chinese last night - I literally only ate half of it). I had a sneaky look at the scales this morning and I am UP 5LBs!! :mad: :mad:

I don't get it, apart from that and the McDonalds I am being so good, my diet is unrecognisable from what it was a month ago - I used to eat like that constantly, but never gained at this rate?? I get that when I eat bad food I will gain weight, but Jesus it shouldn't have been *that* bad??

Fairly hacked off right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

misslt wrote: »
    That's great Doctorwhogirl :D delighted for you!

I'm having a bit of a crappy weekend, I'm within my calories but I'm not 100% good (I had half a Chinese last night - I literally only ate half of it). I had a sneaky look at the scales this morning and I am UP 5LBs!! :mad: :mad:

I don't get it, apart from that and the McDonalds I am being so good, my diet is unrecognisable from what it was a month ago - I used to eat like that constantly, but never gained at this rate?? I get that when I eat bad food I will gain weight, but Jesus it shouldn't have been *that* bad??

Fairly hacked off right now :(

Guarantee you that's water weight after the salt etc... from the chinese, and probably the fact that it's quite heavy and would take awhile to digest.
    I love chinese but it does violent things to scales.

Don't panic yet. Check again in a few days and drink plenty of water!

Guarantee you that's water weight after the salt etc... from the chinese, and probably the fact that it's quite heavy and would take awhile to digest.
    I love chinese but it does violent things to scales.

Don't panic yet. Check again in a few days and drink plenty of water!

I really hope you're right!

I have an interview for a grad job next Monday and im going shopping for an interview outfit tomorrow, dreading it, im going to look like a walking rent-a-tent :(

Sick of this :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I really hope you're right!

I have an interview for a grad job next Monday and im going shopping for an interview outfit tomorrow, dreading it, im going to look like a walking rent-a-tent :(

Sick of this :(

I wasted so much of my life feeling guilty for food I have eaten. What the feck? It's just food! The only emotion we need to feel about food is 'I'm hungry.' or 'I'm not hungry', everything else is headfuckery.

Chineses are salty carby things, so you're naturally going to feel slightly bleugh afterwards, but that isn't actualy a representation of what you look like.

Body image has actually way less to do with what you actually look like more than what you feel. I've been heavier than I am now and felt better about my body and less than I am now and felt way worse about it.

I think that's why a lot of people don't keep weight off, they discover it makes you feel better for a little while, but then you are the same person you always were and what's the point. Weight loss doesn't make you happy for more than a little while, so we shouldn't really allow weight to ruin our mood one way or another.

Expend the energy you're currently pouring into self loathing into getting yourself confidant and prepared for this interview. Confidence is the most attractive feature that you can convey and will shine through.

Here's a cool article on how to ace a job interview that I have found helpful.

I wasted so much of my life feeling guilty for food I have eaten. What the feck? It's just food! The only emotion we need to feel about food is 'I'm hungry.' or 'I'm not hungry', everything else is headfuckery.

Chineses are salty carby things, so you're naturally going to feel slightly bleugh afterwards, but that isn't actualy a representation of what you look like.

Body image has actually way less to do with what you actually look like more than what you feel. I've been heavier than I am now and felt better about my body and less than I am now and felt way worse about it.

I think that's why a lot of people don't keep weight off, they discover it makes you feel better for a little while, but then you are the same person you always were and what's the point. Weight loss doesn't make you happy for more than a little while, so we shouldn't really allow weight to ruin our mood one way or another.

Expend the energy you're currently pouring into self loathing into getting yourself confidant and prepared for this interview. Confidence is the most attractive feature that you can convey and will shine through.

Here's a cool article on how to ace a job interview that I have found helpful.

Thanks a mill! I really want this job & I know I can kick its ass, just need to get my head in the right place!

I hate havingthis emotional relationship with food, does my head in :)

Chicken and veg for dinner and keep drinking water to counteract this salt so :)

• Advertisement

Amazing post.

Amazing post.

Aw thank you! It's something I've been ruminating on for a while.

January is the month that I watch a lot of the women in my life torture themselves over 'cheating' or being 'naughty'. I spent years thinking like this myself so I know how horrible it is when you have a tape of self-criticism on a loop.

I accepted myself as I was and bizarrely, that helped me lose the weight. Women in particular tend to be so hard on themselves when it comes to food.

Losing weight is hard enough without making it an issue of personal morality. 'Disgusted with myself' is a phrase that is way too common, I mean Jesus, you ate an eclair, not committed genocide! Better to do things in a flawed way consistently than in a perfect way for a week.

Aw thank you! It's something I've been ruminating on for a while.

January is the month that I watch a lot of the women in my life torture themselves over 'cheating' or being 'naughty'. I spent years thinking like this myself so I know how horrible it is when you have a tape of self-criticism on a loop.

I accepted myself as I was and bizarrely, that helped me lose the weight. Women in particular tend to be so hard on themselves when it comes to food.

Losing weight is hard enough without making it an issue of personal morality. 'Disgusted with myself' is a phrase that is way too common, I mean Jesus, you ate an eclair, not committed genocide! Better to do things in a flawed way consistently than in a perfect way for a week.

Completely agree. I'm guilty of doing it myself to myself but you have to step back and see the bigger picture.

Like my mother asked me the other day when the diet is going to stop. I had to sort of explain that this is the food I'm eating now, it really is not a diet anymore and that's a huge transition. It's part of my life now, including the choc!

I'm eating more than I ever have been, I love my gym and exercise routine...And while weight loss and toning is fuelling some of this, it's part of my life now more so because it makes me feel good!!!!

Completely agree. I'm guilty of doing it myself to myself but you have to step back and see the bigger picture.

Like my mother asked me the other day when the diet is going to stop. I had to sort of explain that this is the food I'm eating now, it really is not a diet anymore and that's a huge transition. It's part of my life now, including the choc!

I'm eating more than I ever have been, I love my gym and exercise routine...And while weight loss and toning is fuelling some of this, it's part of my life now more so because it makes me feel good!!!!

See this is where I want to be. Maybe it's because it was drilled into me growing up, but I always feel like I have to 'atone' for eating something bad.

I don't think it's the food per se, it's more the lack of control that makes me mad/sad/guilty or whatever.

I want to get out of this 'dieting' mindset and eat proper, healthy food without having to think about it. That's what I'm trying to do and that's what I'm aiming for.

I'm 'morbidly obese' according to my BMI and I'm also a smoker with a family history of heart problems, so even though I'm only 22 I know my health could be at fairly serious risk, I need to change that long term and I know the only way to do that is to change my lifestyle and not just 'diet' for 6 months.

This forum has been invaluable to me in learning about what I should and shouldn't be eating, Doctorwhogirl you're a massive inspiration also, keep up the good work :-)

Clearly you have the right motivation, you want to be healthy and live a full long life.

Doing this at 22 is a HUGE advantage! I know it doesn't feel like it but you have everything on your side. Habits born in your twenties are carried so easily into your 30's. Also skin bounces back way way better because your collagen production can keep up quite easily.

On the smoking front, have you tried the e-cigarettes? That's how I quit and I thought I'd tried everything!

• Advertisement

Clearly you have the right motivation, you want to be healthy and live a full long life.

Doing this at 22 is a HUGE advantage! I know it doesn't feel like it but you have everything on your side. Habits born in your twenties are carried so easily into your 30's. Also skin bounces back way way better because your collagen production can keep up quite easily.

On the smoking front, have you tried the e-cigarettes? That's how I quit and I thought I'd tried everything!

I haven't tried them no, I used patches last year and was off the smokes for 3 months. I'm actually starting the patches again tomorrow, but if that doesn't work ill give the e-cig a go!

I've been conscious of my weight since I was 16, and have been between a size 8 and a size 20 in the last 6 years, but this is the first time I've said hang on, I need to actually learn about what I'm doing and not have a weight watchers leader telling me what I can and can't eat!

I'm finishing college this year and please god ill be starting my dream job in August and I want to be happy and healthy when I do it, in a way it's properly starting my life and being a 'real adult' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

this is the first time I've said hang on, I need to actually learn about what I'm doing and not have a weight watchers leader telling me what I can and can't eat!

This made me smile.

Misslt I started when I was 22 also!

And believe me, it's only now my head is getting to that place where it's a lifestyle! Weightwatchers got me on the right road but it really felt like a diet. For some reason the calorie counting feels less so because I can eat what I want. Again, it started my education with food but the real education only happened when I left ww..

Thanks for your kind words btw... Im by no means perfect at all but there were many people who helped me through weight loss so it's nice to think I could return the favour on some small way. :-)

Just knowing that it is possible and that I've seen proof it can be done is enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I had an epic weekend of birthday parties, shopping and general merriment so I hope it won't affect things too much! I saw my parents for the first time in about a month and they both seperately told me I was looking great which hopefully means I'm doing something right :)

Today is a fast day and I've had no hunger yet. Chilli and sugar-free jelly later, nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Dolbert wrote: »
    I had an epic weekend of birthday parties, shopping and general merriment so I hope it won't affect things too much! I saw my parents for the first time in about a month and they both seperately told me I was looking great which hopefully means I'm doing something right :)

Today is a fast day and I've had no hunger yet. Chilli and sugar-free jelly later, nyom.

Always nice to get compliments! So you're doing IF? How do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I've a similar back story with WW to ye girls. I was an on-off member of WW from the age of 18 to 24. Never really made much headway, regained weight once I fell off the WW wagon. Then sometime during my 24th year on this planet, the penny finally dropped. I recognised that I had bad habits that WW did nothing to address (like grazing at 9pm - sure it's grand I've 4 "points" left to eat!). I came onto these forums after I had lost about 1.5 stone and found the info and support here a great help. I reached my current weight (upper borderline of healthy weight) about a year and a half ago, and have maintained it without any great difficulty. (3 stone 2lbs in total) No deprivation, very little guilt. I honestly feel like I've got control of my eating.

I feel really proud of myself now, though I don't talk about that with anyone. I was an overweight/obese child, teen and through to my twenties, and I think it's a huge obstacle to overcome when you've been that way since childhood. I feel like I was conditioned to eat huge portions, constantly snack and to accept that being fat was just the way I was meant to be. Turning that mentality around has been a long process.

I'm 11 stone on the button at the mo. My goal is to reach 10 stone. I've been hovering around 11 stone for a year and a half and I'm a bit frustrated with the plateau now. I'm tracking calories religiously since 1st Jan, I'm exercising at least 3 times a week but progress is non-existent. I'm sticking at it anyway, the weight has to come off sometime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

boogle wrote: »
    I'm 11 stone on the button at the mo. My goal is to reach 10 stone. I've been hovering around 11 stone for a year and a half and I'm a bit frustrated with the plateau now. I'm tracking calories religiously since 1st Jan, I'm exercising at least 3 times a week but progress is non-existent. I'm sticking at it anyway, the weight has to come off sometime!

Could there be a chance you aren't eating enough? I know for a long time there I was stupid and not eating enough and as soon as I started eating a more realistic calorie the weight started to drop.

Body weight in lbs x 12

Could there be a chance you aren't eating enough? I know for a long time there I was stupid and not eating enough and as soon as I started eating a more realistic calorie the weight started to drop.

Body weight in lbs x 12

That's working out to be around 1800 calories! Do you reckon I'd lose weight on that amount? It's mad that I'm actually nervous at the thought of upping my cals that much! I'm coming in around 1400 at the moment.

Well it worked for me.

I'm not going to lie though, I did gain and then stalled for about 4 weeks and then WHOOOSSSH.

I could be wrong but I think DoctorWhoGirl had a similar experience when she upped her calories. I know she rearranged her macros and is getting a lot more protein anyway.

• Advertisement

hollypink wrote: »
    Always nice to get compliments! So you're doing IF? How do you find it?

ONly doing it a couple of weeks but so far so good! It seems to suit me as I often won't get hungry til the evening time anyway. I seem to be losing a consistent 2lb a week with it, something I never managed before.

Well it worked for me.

I'm not going to lie though, I did gain and then stalled for about 4 weeks and then WHOOOSSSH.

I could be wrong but I think DoctorWhoGirl had a similar experience when she upped her calories. I know she rearranged her macros and is getting a low more protein anyway.

Wow, so how much did you gain before you started losing again? Fair play for holding out for that long with it. I think I'd buckle and reduce cals again!

I gained about 4lbs. In that time though I also started weight training properly. I gained weight but lost 1inch off my waist.

I look at it this way. You can't run a car without petrol/diesel so don't expect your body to run on little or no fuel :)

Well it worked for me.

I could be wrong but I think DoctorWhoGirl had a similar experience when she upped her calories. I know she rearranged her macros and is getting a low more protein anyway.

*waves*
    Howdy!

Yup!
    I upped cals from about 1200 to about 1500. My nets cals (cals after exercise is taken into consideration) are still low because of the exercise I do but definitely not as low as they were.

I started watching my intake of carbs more and without actively doing so really I lowered them. Now I make a conscious effort to keep them relatively low, below 40% of my daily calories.

I upped my fats (healthy fats) and my protein levels.

I also upped the ratio of strength workouts vs cardio to 3:2

I literally was up and down like a yo yo and this seems to have given me more steady progress. For the moment at least!!!

At one point I was counting my ww points and exercising like mad and gaining. And when I looked at the cals I was eating mainly carbs (like 70%!) and nearly no fat! Cals were extremely erratic too- 1000 some days, 1400 others.

@Dolbert! Hope you had a lovely weekend! Sounds like you're doing great! Don't think I could hack the fasting! Fair play!

Hmm that's food for thought :)
    I'll give it a go. I'll up the cals gradually, and let ye know how it's going. I've started back weight training after a long time away. Can only fit in one visit to gym per week though. (Working full-time and college part-time :( ) Should try to squeeze in some bodyweight training at home.

Thanks for the advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Gained two pounds over the past week :( My discipline has been rubbish since Christmas (Though this is the first time since July that I've actually registered weight gain in a given week!) Am back on the wagon, won't be falling off again for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Hiya , Just checking in, great to see how everyone is doing. Keep it up and well done, and if you fell off the wagon keep trying!!!
    So I had my 1st weigh in yesterday, I was down 5.9lbs, and I'm thrilled. I've lost more than that before with ww, and lipotrim but this way I know I'm doing it right... So I did my duathlon challenge on Sunday, ran 2k, cycled 5k.. I actually could do it!! I couldn't believe it!!! Yeaaay.. So just started week 2 of this 4 week challenge... and will have a 5k hike on Sat morning at 8am.. God Help me!!!
    Meeting with a nutritionist tomorrow.If I get any tips I'll fill ye in..
    Is great reading everyones stories and nice to know theres a community of us trying to reach our goals... And for those who got there and have shown us how.. ye are amazing... and a source of great motivation.
    Cheer :)
    So here goes week 2!!!!

Super stuff!!!! That was some effort!

I'm mad for the tips! Bring them on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Hi first time posting on this section my weight has been a problem as far back as early teens I quit smoking about 4 months ago and put up 2 stone that I had struggled for the previous 2 years to lose.After Christmas I had enough so I thought bout WW but in the end I decided to go with motivation I was up for it big time and between my first consultation and starting I had already lost about 12 pounds since starting I have found it a lot easier than I thought I would I started trying to drop weight at 22 stone or in pounds 308 on the 7 of JAN and am now down to 19 stone 9 pounds or 278 pounds my target is 16 stone by August i do a lot of 4 mph walking about 40 miles a week any body else done this type of weight loss in this period of time

• Advertisement

Today I discovered Jamaican jerk houmous in Tesco, nyom! Eat all the carrot sticks :cool:

Advertisement