Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Palestine recognised by the UN General Assembly

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Canada has the largest jewish population after Israel and America, that's why it voted no.

• seamus wrote: »
    Only rocket attacks by an official Palestinian military. Rocket attacks from a terrorist organisation not backed by the Palestinian government, could not be considered war.

You do realise that Hamas are in government in Gaza ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

smurgen wrote: »

I don't this is the start of a very long process and finally the Palestinians are on the right tracks. Abbas has said that he wants to fight the Isreali settlers in a court of law and it's steps like this that will help him. Hopefully Palestinian terrorists will abondon their efforts,show restraint and the Isreali's will then show themselves up as the real bullies they are.

Palestinian terrorists? You mean their government and army. With recognition of them being a state they now have to act like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Higher wrote: »
    Canada has the largest jewish population after Israel and America, that's why it voted no.

You forgot France. They have a larger Jewish population than Canada.

They voted in favour..

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

brimal wrote: »
    You forgot France. They have a larger Jewish population than Canada.

They voted in favour..

True although the jewish in France are nowhere near as supportive of Israel as the Jewish in North America.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Higher wrote: »

True although the jewish in France are nowhere near as supportive of Israel as the Jewish in North America.

I find that a bit odd. I would have thought that, following the holocaust, there would be many more people of French descent who had fled to and settled in Israel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You do realise that Hamas are in government in Gaza ?

Most of the rocket attacks from insaide Gaza were from other militant groups, not Hamas, even Israel have admitted that.

The man they blew up on the 11th of November was doing his best to stop those groups from carrying out the attacks, he was known as "Israel's enforcer" in the Gaza Strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

Could not believe the aggressive response from the US after the vote results.They should be ashamed of themselves and should not be allowed in any future peace talks.

Should get China or Russia to replace them

czx wrote: »
    Should get China or Russia to replace them

Nah, the EU.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Nah, the EU.

They both hold spots on the security council, the EU doesn't

• Advertisement

They both hold spots on the security council, the EU doesn't

A spot on the council isn't need to mediate peace talks.
    Hell, have the UK as the leader of the EU Delegation, or France... That's 2 UNSC members right there.

A spot on the council isn't need to mediate peace talks.
    Hell, have the UK as the leader of the EU Delegation, or France... That's 2 UNSC members right there.

I think they have diverging views on the matter. See vote

I think they have diverging views on the matter. See vote

They both have a pretty similar view on it.

The UK were hours away from voting Yes and in general are pretty supportive of the right of Palestine to self determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Could not believe the aggressive response from the US after the vote results.They should be ashamed of themselves and should not be allowed in any future peace talks.

That was nasty alright.

Still, Its not surprising that they would come out with a comment like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    That was nasty alright.

Still, Its not surprising that they would come out with a comment like that.

Why, what did they say / do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

seamus wrote: »
    Palestine are now free to submit a petition to become a full U.N. member, which would give them voting rights at the UN as well as international recognition as a sovereign and indepedent state.

It doesn't prevent Israel from doing anything, but recognition as a sovereign state is somewhat crucial if you want to ask for assistance from the international community.

I know that a lot of people feel that it is a good thing because they are specifically pro-Palestinian.

I personally think that it is a good thing per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I personally think that it is a good thing per se.
    Agreed. It's the first step towards a proper two-state solution on equal terms IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

seamus wrote: »
    Agreed. It's the first step towards a proper two-state solution on equal terms IMHO.

Both sides have denied the other's right to exist for too long. At one stage the Palestinians had the upper hand (militarily and politically), and now the Israelis do. Neither extreme is a terribly good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What did America say/do anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

steddyeddy wrote: »
    What did America say/do anybody?

Threw a hissy fit, predictably. Always amusing to see people getting frustrated upon meeting the edge of their authority and realizing that not everyone is going to bow to them and lick their arses.

The hypocrisy of American foreign policy never shines quite as brightly as it does where Israel and Palestine are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

statesaver wrote: »
    Kinda shocked that a lot of the central and eastern european countries voted no, Czech Rep, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania ........

racism is normal there - very backward places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Why is it racist not to reward the terrorist policies of Hamas in the Gaza Strip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Israel keeps yammering on about sitting down with the Palestinians and sharing the cake (West Bank) while it greedily gobbles it up day by day.

There will be no Palestinian state in my lifetime imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Threw a hissy fit, predictably. Always amusing to see people getting frustrated upon meeting the edge of their authority and realizing that not everyone is going to bow to them and lick their arses.

The hypocrisy of American foreign policy never shines quite as brightly as it does where Israel and Palestine are concerned.

Threw a hissy fit how? Is there an article or a video we can see?

They spent the week threatening the Palestinians with sanctions and with holding aide. That is throwing a hissy fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Irony Overload

The obama administrations response is deeply shameful.I am sure obama himself and most of his administration hold personally pro-palestinian views at least in relation to Palestinians having some rights and the right to a country. He doesn't need to be reelected and personally loathes netenyahu and his right wing cabinet.Hes shown courage before with medicare - sometimes you just have to do whats right and take the political cost.Obama is not turning out to much of a statesman by doing whatever the Israelis tell him and leaning on everyone else (ineffectually as well) to do what the Israelis demand.

The UK governments position is even worse.The vast vast majority of British people sympathies lie with the Palestinians plight but the UK has become such a US lapdog (even worse than Ireland a much much weaker nation) that their leaders cant even vote the way most UK citizens would wish.

Fair play to Ireland. I thought Gilmore was such a numpty that he might even take a cowardly abstention against overwhelming Irish public opinion and his own principles.We are very vulnerable to US pressure so fair play to the Irish Government so credit where credit is due.Ireland is a true friend to Palestine (and Israel too of course-sometimes you need to tell mates when they are in the wrong)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

jonsnow wrote: »
    Irony Overload

The obama administrations response is deeply shameful.I am sure obama himself and most of his administration hold personally pro-palestinian views at least in relation to Palestinians having some rights and the right to a country. He doesn't need to be reelected and personally loathes netenyahu and his right wing cabinet.Hes shown courage before with medicare - sometimes you just have to do whats right and take the political cost.Obama is not turning out to much of a statesman by doing whatever the Israelis tell him and leaning on everyone else (ineffectually as well) to do what the Israelis demand.

The UK governments position is even worse.The vast vast majority of British people sympathies lie with the Palestinians plight but the UK has become such a US lapdog (even worse than Ireland a much much weaker nation) that their leaders cant even vote the way most UK citizens would wish.

Fair play to Ireland. I thought Gilmore was such a numpty that he might even take a cowardly abstention against overwhelming Irish public opinion and his own principles.We are very vulnerable to US pressure so fair play to the Irish Government so credit where credit is due.Ireland is a true friend to Palestine (and Israel too of course-sometimes you need to tell mates when they are in the wrong)

I was talking about Eastern Europe. You often hear monkey chants when teams with black players go there in European matches. Saw it myself when Shels were playing Staeua Bucarest. The entire stadium was doing it.

They would consider moslems racially inferior to Israelis. Thats just how they are there. Not to mention the millions of catholic headbangers in Poland who see Islam as a heretical religion.

It's very backward there. Go there and see for yourself. Skinheads all over these countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The only full account of it I've seen was from an Israeli newspaper called Haaretz, which unfortunately has recently put its website behind a paywall. Trying to find other sources which sum up America's behavior over the last week, both before and after the vote

They spent the week threatening the Palestinians with sanctions and with holding aide. That is throwing a hissy fit.

The US withholding aid to Palestine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

I was talking about Eastern Europe. You often hear monkey chants when teams with black players go there in European matches. Saw it myself when Shels were playing Staeua Bucarest. The entire stadium was doing it.

They would consider moslems racially inferior to Israelis. Thats just how they are there. Not to mention the millions of catholic headbangers in Poland who see Islam as a heretical religion.

It's very backward there. Go there and see for yourself. Skinheads all over these countries.

I know what you were talking about and while there are some far right elements in eastern europe you can't just stereotype half a continent and call them backwards. That is playing into stereotypes as well. The main reason that eastern european countries are toing the line is because they are more vunerable to US pressure than established EU countries.

Advertisement