Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now I wish I owned a macro!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I would also like to try out macro, would I be better off buying a marco lens or the tube? I use the d90 and have a 18 - 50mm, 18 -105mm, 50 - 200mm & the 70 - 300mm. Photography is still very new to me so any help would be great.
    Buy the tubes to start with. Then if you wish progress to a 900 euro macro lens :eek:
    Go for the tubes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Nforce wrote: »

Thats the 1, I bought 2 of them at that time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Hey digging this thread, just wondering if anybody has any experience in using the two Canon 100mm macro lenses and can give an idea of a discernible difference in quality between the two? The L version sells for about 900 euros whereas the standard one goes for about 250-280 second hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

tororosso wrote: »
    Hey digging this thread, just wondering if anybody has any experience in using the two Canon 100mm macro lenses and can give an idea of a discernible difference in quality between the two? The L version sells for about 900 euros whereas the standard one goes for about 250-280 second hand!

ha! cheers for asking... i've been thinking the exact same thing the last few days...... :D
    i know the technical differences between the two.. but i'd like to know if image quality differs.......much

ha! cheers for asking... i've been thinking the exact same thing the last few days...... :D
    i know the technical differences between the two.. but i'd like to know if image quality differs.......much

Yeah I know, it's a toughie...obviously the L version will be sharper but it's really a question of whether the cheaper one can give decent enough results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

I use the 100mm f2.8 lens and find I get good results from it. I also use the MR-14EX Ringflash which I find invaluable. The problem you have at f11, f16 close in on small subjects is available light. A lot of the time without flash your meter will indicate a shutter speed a lot lower than 1/100". For me it would be the non L and spend the difference on the ringflash unit.
    Here is a recent shot

Spider_200612_4.jpg

Thanks for the response Mikka :) That's a lot of help as I had been thinking of the additional cost of a ring flash of some kind...Will have a look into the one you quoted and I'll hopefully be able to work something out. By the way, despite a solid fear of those fellas that is one nice photo! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Flashrings-
    Any ones recommended, do they work with all camera makes etc. (e.g. a very short Flash Rings 101).

I've heard about them but know virtually nothing about them besides they're very helpful for macro photography...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I got cheap extension tubes toady and paired them with my 50/1.8

Ha ha. Bloody great fun. Here's Spongbob and Patrick from my Kids Lego box :)

9894F2A65DA143B385BED119409D0198-0000336590-0003033201-00800L-F82DE097F6C24E288BA418CAB4887B9D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Buy a white laundry basket >
    8031164782_baf92d7686.jpg
    Pop_Up_Laundry_Basket Image from the web
    Makes a nice light box

Hunted high and low for one of these and finally gave up ever finding one around Munster. Until yesterday when Dunnes on Childers rd had them piled up by the front doors for a measly 4 yoyo.

• Advertisement

going to pop into Dunnes Briar Hill, Galway today and see if they have them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

So 5 months on from my OP and I finally decided to give the extension tubes a go. What could it hurt?

They arrived this morning and this is my first attempt:

21C623D925D440F4812FE058AC75D5C0-0000314495-0003084869-00500L-308D21F0C7974110B88A12DDEFBAA0F1.jpg

The major draw back seems to be that I can only use it with my 50mm, as it has a manual F ring, that can open up to F1.8. On my other lenses the camera gets stuck in F6.3, which is too dark for focusing.

The 50mm is grand for extreme still life close ups, but no good for anything else... :D

Suggestions welcome - anyone else had this problem?

Got my laundry basket in Dunnes.
    @ K_user What brand of camera do you have? I’m selling my great 1:1 magnification Pentax lens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

dinneenp wrote: »
    Got my laundry basket in Dunnes.
    @ K_user What brand of camera do you have? I’m selling my great 1:1 magnification Pentax lens
    How did the basket work out for you?

Unfortunately that's no good for me. I've got a Fuji S5 Pro, which is basically a Nikon D200 with different software and chip.

Course I could just try taping the Pentax to the front and see if it all works! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

This was just posted in Bargain Alerts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056819458

Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens sold by Amazon for £469.99.

Advertisement