Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump on gum

• 28-12-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, I recently went to the dentist over a painful tooth. He said it needed a filling but he could not do it as I have braces. He gave some sort of temporary fixed thing that solved the problem until I get the braces off and can get the filling done. A month or so later I seem to have a weird lump thing on the very top of my gum above the tooth. The tooth doesn't hurt but I feel pain when I press on my cheek on that side of my mouth. I have been looking around the net and it seems to me like it is an abscess and I could need a root canal? There is not a chance I will be able to afford that. Somebody please tell me there is a different explanation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Oneywu wrote: »
    Hi, I recently went to the dentist over a painful tooth. He said it needed a filling but he could not do it as I have braces. He gave some sort of temporary fixed thing that solved the problem until I get the braces off and can get the filling done. A month or so later I seem to have a weird lump thing on the very top of my gum above the tooth. The tooth doesn't hurt but I feel pain when I press on my cheek on that side of my mouth. I have been looking around the net and it seems to me like it is an abscess and I could need a root canal? There is not a chance I will be able to afford that. Somebody please tell me there is a different explanation.

A lump on the gum could indeed be a "gumboil" caused by a dead tooth (trauma/ decay/ deep filling) or rarely due to severe gum disease....
    It also could be a lesion with lots of different causes and may be nothing to do with the tooth.
    Best to get it looked at again. The dentist may take a small X-ray of the tooth and check if the nerve and blood vessels are alive too.

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭kev_s88

thats what happened to me last night. woke up this morning with my face about triple the size it was when i went to sleep due to swelling. emergency trip to the dentist later and im on antibiotics for an infection above a dead tooth. i'd say get it checked sooner rather than later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I had something similar caused by some debris trapped between my tooth and gum, under the surface. If you press on the lump, does any puss ooze from between the gum and the tooth? This is what was happening to me.
    I had to have a small surgical procedure where a periodontist cut the gum, scraped out the debris (which was a small bit of the bristle of my toothbrush but he said he'd seen small fishbones, pieces of toothpicks etc which cause the same issue). He sewed it up and off I went. It was about €300.

Advertisement