Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrick and buying train tickets online

• 21-12-2009 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Does anyone know when Irish Rail plan to allow tickets to be bought online for Carrick on Shannon? I have just moved to Carrick and it seems the only way to buy tickets is at the station. This means you lose out on online specials which are often 50% cheaper.

Can you buy a Sligo ticket (currently 10euro each way) and still get on in Carrick?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Can you buy a Sligo ticket and still get on in Carrick?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can.

Congrats on your move to Carrick btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

JHMEG wrote: »
    Congrats on your move to Carrick btw.

Thanks - all going well in Carrick so far - we moved here as a result of this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055501866

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I owe you an apology. You cannot buy cheap rail tickets from Carrick, as I found out myself yesterday.

Carrick's a great spot. Probably the friendliest place in the country. Be sure to get your hair cut in Michael Masterson's at the bottom of Summerhill next to Lowe's pub... The country's problems are discussed and sorted there! A new definition to group therapy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

Ok I got a more definitive answer to all of this thanks to a post on railusers.ie.

You can view the thread yourself by going to:
    http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=11733

but this is the response I got from another user:
    We have had numerous exchanges with the people behind the internet sales, the restriction is not some twisted punishment its a physical limitation, Carrick on Shannon lacks the booking office equipment to issue a reservation ticket as do many stations. The Sligo line hasn't been fully rolled out yet, reservations are not possible all trains, e.g all evening peak hour departures from Dublin.

It is possible to book if your journey originates in Dublin, so Dublin Carrick on Shannon single or return will allow reservations. From sometime early 2010 it will be possible to collect from any station countrywide which has a ticket vending machine.

Legally Irish Rail is under no obligation to offer anything other than the standard single/return fares so there is no come back there. The cash fare day return ticket Monday-Thursday is the same price as online ticket if you return from Dublin during the evening peak

If you want to play a little cheeky you could book to/from Sligo several days ahead and the tickets will be sent by post for free

Advertisement