Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelee The Banana Girl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

No no, not all cyclists!!!

Cyclists who cycle a lot then :p

Nonsense, people who are in the tour de france don't look like that, and they would cycle more than durian rider.

Really? Looks like he'd fit right in..

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02284/wigigns_2284238b.jpg

http://www.lovingitraw.com/images/racephoto.jpg

Plenty of lean muscle too....
    http://anthonycolpo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/durian-rider1.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

kilkenny12 wrote: »

That last photo is very cherry picked, he's flexing like crazy and it's shot at a very specific angle. If you see him in videos you can see he's a lot slimmer than that. In the video posted he looks almost emaciated.

He claims to have a BMI of 19 so while not seriously underweight, very close to being underweight. He also claims to eat up to 9000 cals on training days.

But one person is not a good enough example. The raw food community is rife with horror stories of people losing teeth, suffering serious and sometimes irreversible defects of deficiencies.

That last photo is very cherry picked, he's flexing like crazy and it's shot at a very specific angle. If you see him in videos you can see he's a lot slimmer than that. In the video posted he looks almost emaciated.

He claims to have a BMI of 19 so while not seriously underweight, very close to being underweight. He also claims to eat up to 9000 cals on training days.

But one person is not a good enough example. The raw food community is rife with horror stories of people losing teeth, suffering serious and sometimes irreversible defects of deficiencies.

BMI of 19 sooo not underweight then...:confused:

Honestly all the horror stories I've heard had a reasonable and obvious explanations. Although there are a lot of idiots in the raw food community, like people being too strict and thinking all cooked food is poisonous and hence not eating enough and then others going too far with water fasts for and searching for "purity". Harley and Freelee are changing it though, making it accessible to everyone.

There are literally hundreds more people who transformed their health than they're are people who fu(ked up somehow, ie. links in my first comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't subscribe to what she preaches but I just wonder how she maintains a healthy weight and body consuming the amount of sugar and carbohydrates that she does.:)
    I haven't looked at her full diet yet.
    But he weight is kept low because she is absorbing a low amount of calories that you would assume
    She is underweight and is also a cyclist. If the diet is so good, why does she have to Photoshop herself onto a girl with abs?
    She did what?
    lachin wrote: »
    El D would you mind expanding on this? There's so much conflicting information out there now and many people recommend cutting back on fruit due to it's sugar context.

How is it digested differently to butter?
    I thought it was a matter of cals in cals out at the end of the day?
    I'm not sure how to describe this. hmmm
    Imagine you are a lot of nuts, or berries, or sweetcorn (examples), and a lot of these came out the other end mostly "whole". Those weren't "calories in".
    He's not underweight, that's what cyclists look like.
    He's clearly underweight. Just like marathon runners are underweight - they chose to be for their sport, but that doesn't change the fact.

Also, that pic was apparently from 2011, a quick google shows he's even skinnier now.
    Look at his pics over the years, he's steadily declining in weight, that's not healthy.

http://api.ning.com/files/Ix44f-*UQOTdX3GJLUK6R*oJskREJ617YNnjpfBu0dWTb9YwYGb8oTQS0y9DyLAtKtlxoT6VgQ6dNkuHxxqBa-9Plg3mBasA/pics.png

Honestly all the horror stories I've heard had a reasonable and obvious explanations. Although there are a lot of idiots in the raw food community, like people being too strict and thinking all cooked food is poisonous and hence not eating enough and then others going too far with water fasts for and searching for "purity". Harley and Freelee are changing it though, making it accessible to everyone.

There are literally hundreds more people who transformed their health than they're are people who fu(ked up somehow, ie. links in my first comment.
    19 is right on the border tbh, Also, that's the weight he claims, its not verified. I'm sure that he is well able to use a BMI calculator and knows the limit where he becomes underweight. He's obviously never going to claim that online.

Just found out this crackpot like in South Australia. Explains a little tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Mellor wrote: »
    I haven't looked at her full diet yet.
    But he weight is kept low because she is absorbing a low amount of calories that you would assume

She did what?

I'm not sure how to describe this. hmmm
    Imagine you are a lot of nuts, or berries, or sweetcorn (examples), and a lot of these came out the other end mostly "whole". Those weren't "calories in".

He's clearly underweight. Just like marathon runners are underweight - they chose to be for their sport, but that doesn't change the fact.

Also, that pic was apparently from 2011, a quick google shows he's even skinnier now.
    Look at his pics over the years, he's steadily declining in weight, that's not healthy.

http://api.ning.com/files/Ix44f-*UQOTdX3GJLUK6R*oJskREJ617YNnjpfBu0dWTb9YwYGb8oTQS0y9DyLAtKtlxoT6VgQ6dNkuHxxqBa-9Plg3mBasA/pics.png

19 is right on the border tbh, Also, that's the weight he claims, its not verified. I'm sure that he is well able to use a BMI calculator and knows the limit where he becomes underweight. He's obviously never going to claim that online.

Just found out this crackpot like in South Australia. Explains a little tbh.
    N+1 does not = evidence

Overall, the common thread among most successful nutrition approaches (vegan, paleo, etc) is an elimination of all the rubbish you dont need people on here to tell you to get off (you seriously need to be told soft drinks, giant sweetened lattes and that breakfast cereal bar is a poor choice?), an increased consumption of fruit and veg and increased activity

More power to the lot of them but I could throw out hundreds of examples of clients of mine that have gotten and stayed in great shape using a different approach.

Hardest part about nutrition = sticking to it and if you're tired and out of shape, your diet isnt good MOST of the time

Of course all the horror stories have reasonable explanations, explained by the people who are completely biased, read up on the 'No true scotsman' fallacy, it's rife in niche nutritional communities like these ones.

I know of cases where people did everything right down to the letter and lost teeth and in some cases permanent reduction in bone mass.

As I said before short-term most people's eyes will shine, they will feel energetic and great, because all highly restrictive diets have the same effects, zero carb will do the same thing and that's the opposite to raw vegan. People who encounter problems after a while are normally hushed up and excluded. Freelee and DurianRider and notorious for heavily censoring and deleting anything on their forums that might indicate this diet causes problems in people.

You need good evidence to follow a diet this unusual to what everyone in the world eats, and the only evidence that's been presented so far is two daft skinny Australians.

Transform wrote: »
    N+1 does not = evidence
    I'm not sure what that's in relation to tbh?
    I wasn't suggesting their behaviour was evidence of anything.
    Overall, the common thread among most successful nutrition approaches (vegan, paleo, etc) is an elimination of all the rubbish you dont need people on here to tell you to get off (you seriously need to be told soft drinks, giant sweetened lattes and that breakfast cereal bar is a poor choice?), an increased consumption of fruit and veg and increased activity
    I fully agree that cutting out the crap is key.

But I don't agree that vegan is a "successful nutrition approach". Of course it is possible follow a vegan diet and eat healthily, make sure you get your vegan fats and carbs, and supplement B12. But it's by no means a given by default.

The guys above are absolutely at the extreme end of the spectrum. They are actually pretty anti-paleo (in the regular sense)
    I had a look a a same day. 3000 cals of bananas, a few kilos of oranges, a water melon, and a cup of dried fruit.
    Nearly 20kg of food.
    90% carbs. Of which is almost entirely sugar. 1500g sugar.
    The sheer volume of fruits means there's some protein there, but not enough for his activity.
    Missing a whole host of nutrients. Probably deficient.

Utterly ridiculous stuff imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

But I don't agree that vegan is a "successful nutrition approach". Of course it is possible follow a vegan diet and eat healthily, make sure you get your vegan fats and carbs, and supplement B12. But it's by no means a given by default.

The guys above are absolutely at the extreme end of the spectrum. They are actually pretty anti-paleo (in the regular sense)
    I had a look a a same day. 3000 cals of bananas, a few kilos of oranges, a water melon, and a cup of dried fruit.
    Nearly 20kg of food.
    The sheer volume of fruits means there's some protein there, but not enough for his activity.

That was my confusion, I am in no way interesting in following a diet like that, I was merely astonished that she could consume that amount of carbs, and most importantly, that amount of sugar without being deficient or developing diabetes. But according to a video of her blood test results that I posted up in the original post she shows that her blood test came back all clear (although it's not like she would tell anyone if there was anything wrong otherwise her whole business would fall apart at the seams). To me she looked underweight, though she claimed in a video that she merely looked that way because she didn't lift weights and had no interest to. I suppose though maybe she looked more like what a marathon runner looks like, so maybe she's not underweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Nearly 20kg of food.

yup in agreement with you chief

• Advertisement

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 36,075 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Those two people do not look healthy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A lot of "raw diets" are "gourmet raw" with complicated meals based on nuts and cacao cr@p and loads of salad (who wants to eat leaves all the time?!!). I blend my greens into my smoothies so I don't even taste them.

Do you honestly not realise how cracked that sounds coming from someone who's eating 20 bananas a day?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Do you honestly not realise how cracked that sounds coming from someone who's eating 20 bananas a day?

Haha fair point!

20 bananas makes you feel full and satisfied though, leaves don't.

Haha fair point!

20 bananas makes you feel full and satisfied though, leaves don't.

Which is why you need more than just leaves in your diet.
    Jumping to eating 20 bananas is not the smart solution

Which is why you need more than just leaves in your diet.
    Jumping to eating 20 bananas is not the smart solution

I've talked with lots of people eating like this for years and people who have cured diseases and are curing them at the moment, like Joe in the link I put on page 1, and they're all well above average health.

I'll be ok :)

I've talked with lots of people eating like this for years and people who have cured diseases and are curing them at the moment, like Joe in the link I put on page 1, and they're all well above average health.

I'll be ok :)
    Cured which diseases?
    Nether if the two people in the OP look healthy. Who are the others

Cured which diseases?
    Nether if the two people in the OP look healthy. Who are the others

The link above your comment is a man called Joe. He is English but living in Thailand. He's curing his diabetes. He moved to Thailand this year because Thailand has the best fruit and he's retired I think.

This girl was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer at 13 years of age: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbw9RcHEhAg

Do you want me to link more testimonials?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

The link above your comment is a man called Joe. He is English but living in Thailand. He's curing his diabetes. He moved to Thailand this year because Thailand has the best fruit and he's retired I think.

This girl was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer at 13 years of age: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbw9RcHEhAg

Do you want me to link more testimonials?

No please don't it's dangerous and someone might believe you .
    This is on par with homeopathy , unproven and non scientific Bs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I heard of a chap who had cancer and who liked to slice a banana into his porridge in the morning.

He died.

Bananas: the silent killer.

papu wrote: »
    No please don't it's dangerous and someone might believe you .
    This is on par with homeopathy , unproven and non scientific Bs.

I take it you didn't both clicking on the links then..

Lol whatever!

I heard of a chap who had cancer and who liked to slice a banana into his porridge in the morning.

He died.

Bananas: the silent killer.

Fruits and vegetables are extremely dangerous.

I take it you didn't both clicking on the links then..

Lol whatever!

Did those links have scientific reasoning behind the cure? Any studies by scientists and peer reviewed data?.. no?..

Eating bananas and hoping for a fruity miracle is a new entry in the Darwin awards for sure.

papu wrote: »
    Did those links have scientific reasoning behind the cure? Any studies by scientists and peer reviewed data?.. no?..

Eating bananas and hoping for a fruity miracle is a new entry in the Darwin awards for sure.

So your answer is no, you didn't look at the links. You have such a closed mind that you are not prepared to watch a couple videos on this topic.

Lol who would pay for scientific studies to be done on such a diet?? How would anyone in a position to conduct studies possibly make money from recommending fruit and vegetables?!!

Judge by results, not by theory.

So your answer is no, you didn't look at the links. You have such a closed mind that you are not prepared to watch a couple videos on this topic.

Lol who would pay for scientific studies to be done on such a diet?? How would anyone in a position to conduct studies possibly make money from recommending fruit and vegetables?!!

Chiquita , Fyffe

It's analogous to people making recoveries after having people pray for them . It most certainly wasn't the prayer that cured them , and it certainly wasn't the fruit that cured these people. If it can't be backed up by theory and science it simply doesn't exist.

Scientific studies happen on diet all the time, there are literally thousands of them in the literature. No one makes money from them. It's called academic research, and it gets billions in funding each year.

A 500 calorie a day diet has actually been tested to reverse diabetes with some success, even after the participants resumed eating a sufficient amount of calories. It doesn't mean that 500 calories a day is what people should eat for the rest of their life.

I've watched the video.
    Joe hasn't cured his diabetes. He still, quite clearly, has diabetes. He's also, not anywhere close to a healthy physical condition.
    He is controlling, or avoid issues with, his diabetes by avoiding glucose. Fructose (the sugar in fruit) doesn't have the same insulin effect as glucose. That's widely known and accepted.
    He's comparing the effect that banana have on his blood sugar with McDonald's milkshakes That's hardly a breakthrough.
    If he had a milkshake now, would his blood sugar react any different than previously. I don't think so.

He's probably improved his diet compared to what ever terrible diet he has before. That means almost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Obsessed with watching this girl! Her abs are mesmerising!

But what a crackpot diet. What will she suffer from in the long term would anyone like to guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The link above your comment is a man called Joe. He is English but living in Thailand. He's curing his diabetes. He moved to Thailand this year because Thailand has the best fruit and he's retired I think.?

Retired man moved to Thailand for the fruit...... yes that is the reason

Advertisement