Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone else find 'Movember' moustache growers a bit smug?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For the sake of argument, if I grew a moustache in November for the craic instead of for charity, would I still be smug?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Hippies! wrote: »
    They're fairly irritating alright. Not sure why though. I think it's the idea of a grown man only feeling comfortable to grow a tache if his freinds are too and they're doing it for a "cause" :rolleyes: It's proper Facebook generation stuff.

yep. And as someone else said it's not like it raises awareness.
    Most guys who do it probably haven't got a clue about prostate cancer or know any of the statistics behind it.

but I think what annoys me most about is are all the smug bastards who ask me why I'm not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Jaysus people will give out about anything these days...

Unfortunately my group of friends have been severely affected by cancer in the last 18 months- they know only too well the work that the Irish Cancer Society and similar groups do in order to support them. One guy I know who lost his wife to cancer in the last year took part in Movember and raised an absolute heap of cash and seemed to have good craic doing it as well. How that man can even have the strength to get up some mornings I just don't know, so for him to do what he did in Movember is remarkable on so many levels.

You're the charity equivalent of Bah Humbug OP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

The Orb wrote: »
    Can't wait for the girls turn in Fanuary

Geecember could be a runner

Your Ma's had so many face lifts even she wears a mustache for November.

(Sorry, was funny when Joan Rivers said it. I'll just get my coat)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Go for it.

connshawnery.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Movember is so popular now that I have so many friends and colleagues that participate that I don't give money to any of them, bar maybe one. I expect I'm not the only one who is the same.

Good cause or not, yizzer all look ridiculous. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fellas just grow them to look hip or somesh1t like that, I very much doubt many of them actually donated to charity

My company raised in excess of 30k thanks to over 100 of us, myself included.

Couldn't give a flying one if people do or don't donate, we had our fun and that's all that matters (to quote a very wise man).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Does anyone else find 'Movember' moustache growers a bit smug?

Yes.

But not as smug as those tossers with the breast cancer ribbons festooned all over their cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Xavi6 wrote: »
    My company raised in excess of 30k thanks to over 100 of us, myself included.

Couldn't give a flying one if people do or don't donate, we had our fun and that's all that matters (to quote a very wise man).

Fair play on the 30k raised, but you second comment backs up my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Larianne wrote: »
    It's not just about collecting for charity, its also to raise awareness about prostate and testicular cancer among men.

http://ie.movember.com/mens-health/

Sees someone with moustache..........first thought.... testicles:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I hate the way Americans call is 'No shave November'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

smash wrote: »
    I hate the way Americans call is 'No shave November'

Think about it.

Thinking...

Thinking...

How do you include women in it?
    Thinking...

*bink*

There ya go. Not so hard.

And for those of you shaving it off, be smug and use a real razor (see sig for details)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

MadsL wrote: »
    Think about it.

Thinking...

Thinking...

How do you include women in it?
    Thinking...

*bink*

There ya go. Not so hard.
    I don't like thinking about hairy women thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

ronan45 wrote: »
    Sees someone with moustache..........first thought.... testicular cancer:cool:
    This^^^
    Strangers come up every month except November crying and saying "You utter basta*d, you made me think of my prostate". How am I supposed to enjoy getting a whipped icecream smeered all through my moustache when men are talking to me about their prostates or fondling their nads?

Damned unsettling.

Smug Movemberers should try living with the consequences of their smugness. Them and their awareness raising smugness. Smuggers is what they are. Smugly making men fondle their nads. Smugly saying "PROSTATE" out loud with no sense of decorum.

Smugtards is what they all are.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fair play on the 30k raised, but you second comment backs up my opinion.

And? Your opinion counts for nothing in the grand scheme of things whereas our 'smugness' went some way to helping cancer research.

And in any case, there's nothing smug about looking like a kiddie fiddler for a month.

Advertisement