Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who dislike/hate animals

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

My SIL isn't an animal lover. I remember the first day she was in my house and I mentioned I had a cat (she really dislikes cats :rolleyes:) her response was 'ugh I swore I'd never drink a cup of tea in a house with a cat', to say I was insulted is an understatment (I am v.house proud!!), my OH was the only thing that stopped me from showing her the front door. She allows her children to play with our dogs but she won't touch them (the kids) afterwards and they are brought straight home and bathed :rolleyes:
    My OH never liked cats either but I had a cat when we got together and now I will often find her curled up on his lap while he's playing his Playstation :)
    I think I got my love of animals from my Dad, as a child I had everything from foxes to a sheep as pets (we lived in a council estate :D) but in saying that my sister wouldn't be a huge animal lover, she had a dog for 16 years that died last year, it was her only pet and she has had no desire to get another since so I think it can be as much a personality thing as an environmental thing.
    I wouldn't judge someone for not liking animals so long as they are not cruel to them and don't judge me for having them in my home. I too am not a people person and am quite happy with my own company alot of the time which alot peole might not understand. Different strokes for different folks I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

whelan1 wrote: »
    as a dairy farmer i have alot of time for animals , the only animal i hate is dogs as my daughter was mauled by one last year... she got 12 stitches on her face- just missing her eyeball and further stitches on her shoulder.... to see an animal doing that to a child is absolutely horrific

I was mauled by a dog when I was two; I almost lost my left eye, needed 14 stitches in the socket, more on my scalp, and I still have a head full of scars and a few (thankfully very faint) ones on my face. I remember the attack, and the hospital stay afterwards, but I absolutely love dogs, always have.

What happened to your daughter was awful, but I would ask you, please don't let one bad experience turn you against all dogs, and please try not to instill a fear of dogs in your daughter, as tempting as it might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

its the fear of the unknown , someone says that dog wont touch you , do you trust them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

whelan1 wrote: »
    its the fear of the unknown , someone says that dog wont touch you , do you trust them?

I was always told as a child that dogs sense fear.
    My dad always told me to be confident around animals because if they sense your fear they will react differently and if they feel threatened by your fear they will attack.

I know my dog senses my moods, she would never attack me or anybody else, maybe lick you all over!!:D But when she was younger it was very easy to get her hyped up and she would start playbiting. If a person started screaming or running away from her she would have jumped on them to play. This sort of thing to somebody who is afraid of dogs can be terrifying.

The thing is, you can't trust other peoples dogs because you don't know how they have been raised. The only thing you can do is get your own puppy and work together with your daughter and the puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

I have met people who do not like animals at all. I could never understand this as all animals are so innocent and the most common pets such as dogs, cats, rabbits etc are just looking for love, attention and a bit of food! :) I never trust anyone who doesn't like animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

I have ZERO interest in anyone that HATES animals :mad:
    Shanao wrote: »
    I meet way too many people who say they hate cats, and they start off giving out about them (i usually have the dog with me so they assume I'm just a dog lover), I then mention the four cats living on my bed and they cant seem to understand it. I expecially hate when they say that they're dirty? I usually counter that with: "How so? I mean, you had to be trained not to **** your own pants, a cat instinctively knows where the toilet is. Who exactly is the unhygienic species here?" That dumbfounds most:D

I know Im amazed at the amount of people who hate cats :( I get lots of :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: when I say I have cats as im also pregnant! I think a lot of people think of feral cats that are dirty etc but my cats are cleaner than some people! They are vaccinated, flead and wormed regularly and anyway there's very little that you can catch from cats. Of course with being pregnant im getting the toxoplasmosis thing and I always tell them well seeing as Ive had cats all my life Ive more than likely been exposed to it years ago and anyway you can also get it from gardening without gloves (which i have done) and eating rare meat or handling raw meat! So its not just from cats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have ZERO interest in anyone that HATES animals :mad:

As a single man there is nothing worse than discovering that an eligible female doesn't like dogs. It's so totally no negotiable - hence I am still alone ..............why have we got two sticking out tongue smilies & no crying one !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Discodog wrote: »
    As a single man there is nothing worse than discovering that an eligible female doesn't like dogs. It's so totally no negotiable - hence I am still alone ..............why have we got two sticking out tongue smilies & no crying one !

Maybe we should have a boards dating section! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Over the last 2 weeks, I seem to have been speaking to a lot of people who identify themselves as "animal-haters" or as people who "just don't like animals" and I found myself rather baffled to be honest. Of course everyone has different likes and dislikes, but I really just don't understand how people can, on the whole, not like any animals at all. I'm not talking about the kind of scum who would be cruel or torture animals, I'm referring to perfectly normal people who just can't stand to be near any living creature that isn't a human. It's simply not an attitude I can understand at all, considering all animals are so very different from each other. It just strikes me as very odd.

Anyway, considering the amount of people I've been speaking to recently who dislike animals, I'm curious to see what posters here usually have to say in return. How do you react to people who identify themselves in this way? Usually I'll just nod politely and not say very much at all, but I can't help but dislike the person for it a little bit. Do you let it colour your opinion of the other person at all or do you just forget about it entirely?

Yes, I understand and it bothers me too... my friend who is in college with me comes from a FARM just down the road from me. Sheep farmers their entire life... she claims she likes dogs but she told me this story where a friend of hers who had a baby washed the puppys bedding in the same machine - not the same wash - as her kids bed and my friend got sick a little in her mouth... seriously??????

That just annoys me... I grew up in dublin... no farm animals around me, no pets... nothing... until I met a son of a farmer in college. I was dying for that lifestyle around me. Then I met this girl... shes great, loves the same music, clothes etc but... hates animals... i think we were switched at birth she got the cool family with the pet pigs, i got the D4 family with the BT2 Plaitnum card. tho, when I found out she disliked animals to the extent that she put on a rain coat to pet her sheep dog :eek:... i have to say, my opinion of her changed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Takes all sorts.

Met a market trader who announced , " I hate children.." Did not ask him re animals after that.

Does not worry me that some have no time for critters; their choice and their freedom to make that choice.

So sorry re the wee girl. That fear will take years to heal as you know. And that needs to be respected as you are saying. Cannot be forced without further stress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I like animals in the sense that I find them interesting and highly observable. I like the fact that they provide many people with companionship and help.

But.

To me, they smell. I never feel comfortable in a house where animals live. There is always a smell. There is always hair. And forgive me for not wanting dog saliva on my hands, dog scent on my clothes, or particles of dog hair floating about in the kitchen air. Cats might be clean in some people's eyes, but they are always licking themselves. I certainly wouldn't shake the hand of a human who licked themselves. I find that aspect of cats to be particularly gross and - yes - dirty.

I suppose it cuts both ways: if you find that you can't trust people who don't like the fact that you sleep with a cat, I'm sure those same people would probably find you unhygienic and a little odd yourself.

But there's a huge difference between someone who just doesn't like animal smells, animal hairs, and animal spit in their environs, and someone who hates animals. The two perspectives are NOT the same at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Tremelo wrote: »
    I never feel comfortable in a house where animals live. There is always a smell. There is always hair. And forgive me for not wanting dog saliva on my hands, dog scent on my clothes, or particles of dog hair floating about in the kitchen air. Cats might be clean in some people's eyes, but they are always licking themselves. I certainly wouldn't shake the hand of a human who licked themselves. I find that aspect of cats to be particularly gross and - yes - dirty.

Well that's a bit harsh! I know plenty of dog/cat owners who are extremely house-proud and you would never know a pet existed in the house at all unless you saw it. As for my house, you would never guess I had a dog, she doesn't drool so there is no dog saliva and you'd never be able to pick up a doggie smell or find a dog hair.

But that's because the house completely reeks of horses and has horse hair and mud everywhere :P

I would rather a house smelt of dog than reeking of air freshener :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Down with animals!

But seriously, unless they're plotting to kill me, I'm very indifferent to animals. Except the Platypus, I fear and respect the Platypus.

I would rather a house smelt of dog than reeking of air freshener :D

You wouldn't like me house so I have a Yankee Candle fetish!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

lrushe wrote: »

Off topic: lrushe - If you're near one - Homestore & More have all their Yankee candles half price at the moment - every flavour!

Off topic: lrushe - If you're near one - Homestore & More have all their Yankee candles half price at the moment - every flavour!

Oh I think I'm on a first name bases with my local Homestore and More :)
    Some women have shoes, I have candles :D
    Sorry about the OT!!!!

lrushe wrote: »

Poor doggies - some say that their sense of smell is 1000 times more sensitive than ours :eek:

Poor doggies - some say that their sense of smell is 1000 times more sensitive than ours :eek:

Must be why they like spending so much time outside :):p

Advertisement