Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What pub to watch the <any sport> match in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

mike kelly wrote: »
    Where is Kellys? Come on ye boys in green!

Where The Living Room used to be; Bridge Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

irishultra wrote: »
    come on france
    There's always one isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Funny, I had put a post up on this forum asking were there any tV free Pubs, for those of us who think sport is only..... shock horror.... ok:o

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anyone know any pubs in Galway that show football matches on polish/french or other channels?

There's pubs in Dublin that show 4 matches at once at 3pm on Saturdays!

Just wondering if anywhere in town does it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

rarnes1 wrote: »
    La di da :D

You can try a search like this or better yet, post in Soccer forum. They'll know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Anyone know any pubs in Galway that show football matches on polish/french or other channels?

Just wondering if anywhere in town does it?

Thanks.

Fagan's underground Sports Bar at the bottom of Eyre Square (under the Meyrick hotel ala "Cheers") has feck loads of tv's on various different games on Saturdays and some Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Monroes aswell, nice spot too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

You want Polish and French matches? Setanta shows Ligue 1 games.

Also pubs across the country from August to May show football on foreign channels. Normally you see two **** ejaculating over a 'super sunday' match between Everton and Hull coming to you from the 'greatest league in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

KRMCA in Salthill used show a rake of Eastern European matches iirc (they used put the english matches on the projector and had a TV behind the bar for the continental ones). Mind you it's been well over a year since i was last in that place so i dunno what the story is now.

I think Rarnes was looking to watch the Blackburn v Liverpool game yesterday rather than games from the Polish or French leagues. All the pubs that used to be handy for the games on foreign satellite channels either aren't there any more (Tí na nÓg) or just have the regular satellite packages (Foxes, Fibbers, Kellys). I know because I rang them yesterday looking for the game. I didn't think about Fagan's. I'll definitely try them the next time.

• Advertisement

No he wants a place that show premier league games that are not on Sky, Setanta or ESPN such as liverpools game yesterday.

I'm not sure if anywhere in Galway have the channels, for me Liverpools games are usually on one of the 3 channels so can watch at home or in any pub. Although I had to watch liverpool yesterday on a stream. How people can watch matches regularly on streams is beyond me, poor quality, always stopping etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Also pubs across the country from August to May show football on foreign channels. Normally you see two **** ejaculating over a 'super sunday' match between Everton and Hull coming to you from the 'greatest league in the world.

I'd watch the League of Ireland if it wasn't such shíte.

On topic - I don't understand why more pubs don't have the foreign satellite channels, it would bring in great trade at the weekends.

jenno86 wrote: »
    On topic - I don't understand why more pubs don't have the foreign satellite channels, it would bring in great trade at the weekends.

Its surprising alright, even more surprising is the fact that no where at all has them. If one place got the channels they would have a monopoly(at least for a while). Also I'm sure the foreign systems are not as costly as sky etc so it shouldnt be that more expensive to have them also.

jenno86 wrote: »
    I'd watch the League of Ireland if it wasn't such shíte.
    Don't feed the troll!
    jenno86 wrote:
    It comes down to economics for a start. A managers of a certain city centre pub explained it to me one day. Basically they are far more interested in the Saturday soup and sandwiches crowd than the Saturday soccer fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Its surprising alright, even more surprising is the fact that no where at all has them. If one place got the channels they would have a monopoly(at least for a while). Also I'm sure the foreign systems are not as costly as sky etc so it shouldnt be that more expensive to have them also.

Its a one off cost for the equipment AFAIK!
    Malice_ wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll!

It comes down to economics for a start. A managers of a certain city centre pub explained it to me one day. Basically they are far more interested in the Saturday soup and sandwiches crowd than the Saturday soccer fans.

Ah yes, but I for one would like to get some grub when watching a match, even if its only something small.

I'd say the equipment cost might be a once-off but don't viewing cards have to be bought at regular intervals? As for the food thing, I also would often eat while watching a game. I thought it was daft that a pub would willingly alienate one group of paying customers over another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nole

Im sure there are packages sold specifically to certain regions- e.g like Ireland. The 3pm matches setanta ireland show (manu, liverpool) are the ones that i remember rte used to show a good few years back. I imagine these are sold with stipulation that they are only viewed in ireland. Prob same for other countries too.

Anyone know if this is true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DonJuan52

New to all this but if its any help you can get DSTV supersport for e300 on once off payment and it shows upto 6 matches on a Saturday. Its a south African digital supplier , there commentry is a bit dodge though

Fagan's underground Sports Bar at the bottom of Eyre Square (under the Meyrick hotel ala "Cheers") has feck loads of tv's on various different games on Saturdays and some Sunday.

Nope, tried them
    PomBear wrote: »
    Monroes aswell, nice spot too

They used to, not anymore.

Thanks for that help :rolleyes:

No he wants a place that show premier league games that are not on Sky, Setanta or ESPN such as liverpools game yesterday.

Correct.

If Dublin pubs can show these matches we can't Galway ones?

Illegal? Too much cost for the pub?

The Kings head used to show a few different matches at 3pm on Saturdays but not anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Too much cost for the pub?

Bang on. the match trade is way down on what it was 3 or 4 years ago. And considering the odds of one of the big 4 not being shown by SKY/ESPN in a given weekend are actually pretty low it makes no sense to pay additional.

Correct.

If Dublin pubs can show these matches we can't Galway ones?

Illegal? Too much cost for the pub?

The Kings head used to show a few different matches at 3pm on Saturdays but not anymore :(

There is at least one pub in Cork also that shows these matches, I have watched a few Liverpool games there not were not on the normal channels.
    Bang on. the match trade is way down on what it was 3 or 4 years ago. And considering the odds of one of the big 4 not being shown by SKY/ESPN in a given weekend are actually pretty low it makes no sense to pay additional.

Surely the it would be worth it to a pub if they were the only one in the city doing it though. There is nearly always at least one of the big four not on sky/setanta/espn and they should get a decent crowd in for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Hi all,
    I wonder does anyone know of a pub in the city that shows games that arent on the usual sky/espn/setanta channels?
    I know some pubs in dublin and sligo that often show games from foreign channels such as Canal+
    The Aston Villa v Arsenal match tomorrow evening is on one of these channels and a quick online search shows several pubs in Dublin etc advertising the games but nothing for Galway City.
    Anyone know if this is been shown anywhere in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

connollys wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I wonder does anyone know of a pub in the city that shows games that arent on the usual sky/espn/setanta channels?
    I know some pubs in dublin and sligo that often show games from foreign channels such as Canal+
    The Aston Villa v Arsenal match tomorrow evening is on one of these channels and a quick online search shows several pubs in Dublin etc advertising the games but nothing for Galway City.
    Anyone know if this is been shown anywhere in Galway?

Monroes might do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I remember looking round April last year for them but no luck. If you've a reasonable internet connection the streaming sites like xxxx tv and xxxgoals can be good some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

Not in the city but The Turtle pub in Loughrea has Canal+ and will be showing it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe Fox's?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

You sure about the Turtle Bar in Loughrea. Thinking of driving out there for it, no word of anywhere in town and hate the thoughts of walking from pub to pub and still not getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

possibly krcma in salthill too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I really want to see this game, but it's not being shown on the usual channels like sky/setanta ireland/espn.

I know both Dublin and Limerick have certain pubs that will show games using a satellite feed from channels like setanta usa or whatever so please please please please please tell me this game will be shown somewhere in galway city on Sunday.

Feel free to move this thread if necessary mods but I feel this is more of a Galway issue than a general pub/football issue.

Also I don't want to watch the game on a poxy internet stream so please oh pub landlords of galway grant me what see is a basic human right, that is to watch Liverpool play each week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement