Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minecraft server running on same PC

• 15-06-2015 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭

Good morning all.

I'm wondering about running a minecraft server on a Pentium E5300, 4gigs of ram where the same machine will also be running the OP's client session. There wouldn't be more than 4-6 players on it.

As usual with Minecraft, mojang's instructions and guides are at best ****. Some suggest 5 gigs of ram for the server, others 2.

My primary concern (assuming the machine is capable of running the server) is allowing a java server to run open to the world and ensuring that the buggy security hole is as reasonably well secured as possible. I understand access to the server can be whitelisted but are there any other steps to be taken to ensure that the feckless part timers who coded this aren't randomly leaving the whole system exposed?

Not that I'm cynical about minecraft.

Advertisement