Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luas Red Line security issues mega thread (read mod warming in post #1)

• 04-03-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

MOD WARNING: Luas Red Line security issues mega thread (read mod warming in post #1)

This will be a mega thread for Luas red line security issues. Other threads will be soon locked.

Constructive posts only -- please read the charter before posting.

Claiming a tram line which is used by thousands of people a day should be close down will no longer be entertained and will be viewed as non-constructive, distributive posting which will be sanctioned. Making such a claim does nothing to address the on-going issues.

ORIGINAL OPENING POST:

I am a daily commuter on the red line Luas, from the Point right to Saggart..... a long journey.

What experiences have people had on this line?

Since Christmas, I have witnessed:

(1) Open drug use
    (2) Junkies stoned out of their mind
    (3) Junkies begging for money from everyone on the tram
    (4) Gangs of youths drinking
    (5) A girl getting threatened that she was going to get robbed by some teenagers
    (6) Gangs of Eastern European's playing loud music / then starting fights when they get asked to leave
    (7) I was physically threatened this morning as I did not give the large polish ape enough room on his seat (I was squished in against the window)

These issues get worse as you pass Belgard.... the "Security Staff" are a total joke and turn a blind eye to all but the most serious issues!

I do feel genuinely uneasy making this daily journey.... but have little option.

What have others experienced?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

did u make an official complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Yeah.... everytime there is an issue, I contact the Luas in some way in some attempt to help make the journey safer.....

It's still the same.... I wouldn't recommend the Luas to my girlfriend if she was making the same journey as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The security can do very little in this country and the scumbags know this. What's needed is police and a proper sentencing policy, community service which improves the community! , to deal with them, but the solicitors make good money in the current system so nothing will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

I only get the Red Line once in a while and it's an absolute nightmare. Would recommend anyone who can to use another form of transport to work etc.

And the powers that be cant see a problem?..or just wont bother solving it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have only taken the red line from Heuston to the Point. I have seen plenty of druggies stoned out of their head but nothing else thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

chrysagon wrote: »
    And the powers that be cant see a problem?..or just wont bother solving it?

Yes and yes.

Personally Id recommend that Luas red line users and indeed users of any public transport or public place in which they feel regularly threatened or unsafe should contact their local reps and election candidates and let them know law and order is a big issue for you and that your vote in the upcoming election will be dependent on improvements in that regard.

Auction politics doesnt only have to work one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The city council must wake up and realise that they are scaring away long distance would-be visiters to the city centre.

Most who takes Galway, Limerick, Cork train jump on a Luas. Many decide not to do it a second time. Honestly it must take millions out of the city in people not returning to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Is it really that bad ? What if ya told the Junkies to fook off ?

i have never used it, but ye dont make it sound apealing.. and must be losing revenue if folk decide not to use it due to security issues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Ive just come back from central London where I was amazed at how safe the Tube seemed. Some drunks late at night but none of the antics that are typically seen on all Irish public transport. Ive no doubt the Tube has some issues but the Red Line Luas seems to be a complete no go zone for many people these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

I use it 6 days a week, from Heuston to the Point, most of the time it's Ok. Around the city centre, between Smithfield and Busarus, you'll see all sorts at times. Two days in a row last week I witnessed some foreign lads being threatened by junkies, once verbal and once physical, I've also felt it necessary to move once or twice when one(s) got on with some form of blood injury, one pretty bad. You'd maybe see something off putting once or twice a week but for the most part it's not the worst.

6541 wrote: »
    Is it really that bad ? What if ya told the Junkies to fook off ?

Yes.... it's really that bad! I'm not a small man by any counts, but find this journey intimidating. When the situation has called for it in the past, I have gotten off the tram and caught the next one - I shouldn't have to, to avoid trouble!!! No doubt the first time I defend myself, I'll be the one that is judged.

Like I said..... I advise my girlfriend and would advise anyone who is frail or 'at risk' to stay well clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭varuka

I've been using the luas red line for over a year and never had any problems.

I use it 6 days a week, from Heuston to the Point, most of the time it's Ok. Around the city centre, between Smithfield and Busarus, you'll see all sorts at times. Two days in a row last week I witnessed some foreign lads being threatened by junkies, once verbal and once physical, I've also felt it necessary to move once or twice when one(s) got on with some form of blood injury, one pretty bad. You'd maybe see something off putting once or twice a week but for the most part it's not the worst.

It'd be interesting what you deem to be bad in that case! You've witnessed racist abuse / physical violence and on more that one occasion, you've had to remove yourself from a situation..... do you feel this is appropriate? or do you feel that no one who is paying for a ticket to travel should be subject to this?

Let me add..... most of the situations I refer to are slightly further out of the city.... yes, the centre is rife with issues, but towards Red Cow and beyond is far worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You'd maybe see something off putting once or twice a week but for the most part it's not the worst.

Isn't it a sorry state of affairs when seeing something off putting once or twice a week is considered to be standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Isn't it a sorry state of affairs when seeing something off putting once or twice a week is considered to be standard

That's my point, this shouldn't be something that is considered standard, but unfortunately it is. I do feel it's intimidating witnessing these acts but the one thing I've learnt on the Red Line is to show no fear or concern cause it's either that or you have the potential to become another one of their victims.

I wouldn't consider pushing and shoving physical violence, what I've seen is someone get on who is already injured elsewhere, I've simply witnessed the threat of something more sinister. I don't understand the point of the security guys cause all they seem to do is stand around with their hands in their pockets doing nothing about what everyone else is afraid to do something about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I have only ever experienced one trip on the red line where something didn't happen haha

Free taxi for the junkies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I had been using the green line twice daily during the week between Balally and town for several years, and virtually never saw any kind of hassle on the trams or at the stops, other than the occasional fairly inoffensive beggar at St. Stephen's Green or groups of rough-looking teens hanging around the Balally stop who never really seemed to cause any real trouble. Sure you'd see drunk people heading home from town on the later trams, but never saw any actual trouble.

Since the new year, due to a move of both office and house, I have been taking the red line between Museum / Smithfield and Busáras a few times per week. It's not at all pleasant! Most of the mornings when I take the Luas there are junkies/winos at the stops and on the tram. Sometimes they just wander around harmlessly in a daze, but often they are roaring like lunatics at each other or passers-by. Skangers in groups playing music out loud on their phones and generally harrassing other people are a problem too that I never encountered on the green line. One night I witnessed a dodgy-looking lad brandishing a syringe at another lad, roaring "I'll fookin' give ya AIDS!", at which point the other lad took offense and launched a bottle in the general direction of the guy with the syringe. I had a friend visiting from out of town on the Luas with me at the time who was taken aback to say the least! I have also seen LOTS of drinking at all hours of the day, and one instance of someone shooting up on the tram. One case that I remember of racist verbal abuse.

I also notice that ticket inspectors tend to (understandably) ignore skangers and junkies and only ask folks who look like they work for a living to show their tickets, and there is a notaable absence of security staff a lot of the time, considering how rife general scumbaggery seems to be on that line.

I still take the Luas when I am running late or it's raining badly etc. as it's fairly reliable and I have never personally been threatened or felt in imminent danger, but the unpleasantness of the red line experience has spurred me to walk to and from work whenever possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

These issues get worse as you pass Belgard.... the "Security Staff" are a total joke and turn a blind eye to all but the most serious issues!

There should be adequate security from staff who are ready, willing and able to deal with the problems that you outlined.

I would suggest that they need Transport Officers in significant numbers like they have on the trains in Sydney, with proper training and adequate powers to deal with troublemakers.

Ordinary security guards don't have the training, the powers or the backup to deal with troublemakers and criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I use it between 3 and 10 times a week from Abbey Street to Citywest. Most of the time I find a seat and go to sleep so I see very little. Not felt unsafe yet, though got off at Smithfield once and there were some very dodgy characters hanging around acting suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

There should be adequate security from staff who are ready, willing and able to deal with the problems that you outlined.

I would suggest that they need Transport Officers in significant numbers like they have on the trains in Sydney, with proper training and adequate powers to deal with troublemakers.

Ordinary security guards don't have the training, the powers or the backup to deal with troublemakers and criminals.

bring back the guys with the dogs they had on the Dart a few yard back, they were effective

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.Shabby

I take the red line between Connolly and Smithfield about 3/4 times a week, most of the time it's fine but I have seen some very sketchy things. Last week there were two lads at the verry end carriage, one was smoking a fag and the other whipped his lad out and just started pissing, I've never seen a group of people move so quickly! I do agree though that It's incredibly unfair that the fare checkers never confront the junkies, I know it's not the most pleasent job but it just makes a mockery of the whole system that some people can use the system for free while others have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Poster2014

It definitely isn't a pleasant journey. I spent 6 months working in Citywest and traveled from Abbey Street every day. I would not take this journey alone after dark. Although there are a series of issues on this luas line once you sit at/near the top of the tram near the driver and put earphones in it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

These issues have been here for long before the Red Line LUAS. Anyone who travelled on the bus routes now served by LUAS (51b, 51c, 77, 77a, 78a as they were) would recognise most of the issues outlined above.

But as buses tend not to be used by a sizeable part of the population, the issues were long ignored.

Now those users have migrated to the LUAS and it's suddenly far more visible.

But it still seems to be just swept under the carpet.

Until society at large and the authorities accept the need for a transport police force, and at the same time start tackling the drugs and alcohol problem that exists (a lot of the people referred to as junkies above are actually in the latter category), nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

lxflyer wrote: »
    These issues have been here for long before the Red Line LUAS. Anyone who travelled on the bus routes now served by LUAS (51b, 51c, 77, 77a, 78a as they were) would recognise most of the issues outlined above.

But as buses tend not to be used by a sizeable part of the population, the issues were long ignored.

Now those users have migrated to the LUAS and it's suddenly far more visible.

But it still seems to be just swept under the carpet.

Until society at large and the authorities accept the need for a transport police force, and at the same time start tackling the drugs and alcohol problem that exists (a lot of the people referred to as junkies above are actually in the latter category), nothing will change.

The bus routes you have mentioned above have had similar problems since the 1980s albeit that era's version of the route. These problems have been going on for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

any time i've used the red line which admitidly isn't often, scangers playing loud music once or twice is about all i've witnessed. i've no reason to disbelieve there are major issues, i guess i've just been lucky not to see them myself

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Really had high hopes for the LUAS, but after two stints living on the red line, I'm now far happier using Dublin Bus. Nothing CLOSE to the level of anti-social behaviour on the bus compared to the LUAS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

BoatMad wrote: »
    bring back the guys with the dogs they had on the Dart a few yard back, they were effective

Who were these lads were they IR staff or private security

Advertisement