Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

London Marathon 22/4/2012

• 19-04-2011 6:42pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So with luck in the next 12 months I'll have Cork, Dublin and Waterford if it happens) under the belt along with various other events but London would be great.

I know the London Marathon is lotto but whats the situation when entrys open and your outside of the UK?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Here is this years entry methods for foreigners:
    http://static.realbuzz.com/vlm/downloads/pdf/2011_tour_operators.pdf

Not sure if that is the only way though.

Or...

Find a friend up north and claim you live there:
    http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

robinph wrote: »

We can use your address so Robin, cheers!

*I should change my location before posting such a comment*

The ballot opens the day the sale of the olympics tickets ends. I wonder is that a coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

After listening to the marathontalk podcast report on VLM yesterday was thinking of giving it a go next year so cheers for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Can you get in via a charity or that only open to UK residents? Might be an option for you if you think you could raise the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

opus wrote: »
    After listening to the marathontalk podcast report on VLM yesterday was thinking of giving it a go next year so cheers for the info!

see you there! don't bring the rain! :rolleyes:

(all pending that i get in)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We can use your address so Robin, cheers!

*I should change my location before posting such a comment*

The ballot opens the day the sale of the olympics tickets ends. I wonder is that a coincidence?

I think if there was suddenly 100 Paddy O'Boardsies registered at my address they would get a little curious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

So, to get this clear in my own head, if I get someone with a UK address, and throw my name and their address in - I can enter from there and be considered a "UK entrant"?

Is it also correct to say that as a "UK entrant", I would have a far far better chance of getting a place in the race than as an "international entrant"? [while still part of a lottery system, clearly]

I lived in the UK for 5 years, so I should be able to dig out someone who would be willing to be bold [and who would have no interest in entering themselves.

My understanding is that if you have a verifiable time quicker than 3:10 done in 2009 or 2010 and you have a UK address then you can get automatic good for age entry place. Your nationality doesn't matter, they will just want proof of age and time.

I cannot remember how many charity places are already set aside out of the 35,000, but it's going to be quite a few, going on this years results there would be about 2000 places also taken out of the ballot by just the sub 3:10 good for age places, there are other age category times as well which get places set aside. So there is maybe 10,000-15,000 places available for the ballot and 120,000 people applying for them with UK addresses. But I've seen it quoted as a 1 in 5 chance in the ballot on other forums.

The international ballots will most likely have their own set numbers they are selling as well but no idea on the numbers there.

1. Get a sub 2:30(?) time and they will probably give you a free entry.
    2. Get a sub 2:45 time and a UK address and UK club member and I think it's free(?) entry into the UK championship.
    3. Sub 3:10 time and a UK address and get to pay for your entry without entering the ballot.
    4. Enter the ballot with a UK address...but entering an international ballot might actually be better chances than entering the UK ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

This is of interest to me too - but not for 2012. Wasn't there some other complication to the GFA entry ... fees had to be paid by cheque on a UK bank a/c or some such ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

pgmcpq wrote: »
    This is of interest to me too - but not for 2012. Wasn't there some other complication to the GFA entry ... fees had to be paid by cheque on a UK bank a/c or some such ?

For 2011 London marathon I paid my GFA fee via UK cheque.

Entry Procedure ...
    Point 7. "Entry fees must be paid by cheque or postal order"
    Point 8. "Cheques must be drawn in sterling on an account at a Bank and Branch in the UK, Channel Isles or the Isle of Man..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

ballot open ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

plodder wrote: »
    ballot open ..

Website slow as Christmas!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Entered the overseas ballot anyway, even though the chances of getting a place are minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Entered the overseas ballot anyway, even though the chances of getting a place are minimal.

Me too. Chances are slim, but sure it's worth a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Going for the Good For Age on this one. Even though it kills me to pretend to be British!!! I'm lucky enough to have a sister-in-law in England so I'll have everything posted from her address and a UK cheque so no worries hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

+1

Decided against the complex messing of getting a UK address and doing all that.

If I dont get in [and legs survive Dublin] can always do Paris instead :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If I dont get in [and legs survive Dublin] can always do Paris instead :)
    Pretty much what I'm thinking too, without the "legs surviving Dublin" part. :cool:

Is it really just a print out of the DCM cert from last year and my driving license that I need to send to the Good For Age address? Feels like I should be putting more in the envelope.

So that should be my next April marathon sorted...now to decide if I do another one before then and if so which one?

Dublin is obviously a potential test run, but Amsterdam has been suggested to me as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Kareem Blue Spokesman

Just registered through the ballot. Hopefully having an address still up the North will help me gain a place:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Just went for the overseas ballot as well myself, was thinking about Boston as well next year assuming I can get run a reasonable time at one of the two 'approved' marathons I'm doing - Cork & Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I applied as a Uk resident. I may get a few family members to apply for me here too and run under their name. Just to do it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Applied on the overseas ballot as well. If I dont get it I will do Connemara again instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

In a moment of complete madness I just applied too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Same here but I say there a slim chance, so wont start the training yet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

Has anyone ever entered the ballot as an overseas entrant and as a UK resident using two different addresses?

The VLM twitter feed said that they were already half way to the 120,000 limit 9 hours ago so the possibility of entering the UK ballot is very nearly over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Kareem Blue Spokesman

Suprisingly my missus just applied for a place:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

The VLM twitter feed said that they were already half way to the 120,000 limit 9 hours ago so the possibility of entering the UK ballot is very nearly over.
    They think it's all over ...... It is now .....

I believe there is still only 5,500 allowed into the overseas ballot. So, I guess the actual number of places must be tiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Mike D

I got my VLM 2011 place through CROI in Galway. Obviously I had to raise money which can be difficult but they organise flights, accomodation, physio before and after and a coach to the start. I have to say they were excellent and I met a great bunch of runners too. All in all a really good experience!

Advertisement