Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They won't judge you for doing that. It's part of their job to dispose of them.
    +1 on this. Just go to a chemist that you don't normally use, ask to speak to the pharmacist. They will take them no questions asked - and without judging you. If you are really worried about that, you could tell them it's a bag of various drugs that you offered to dispose of for a friend / neighbour / workmate. You really don't have to explain, though. If there are any of your prescribed meds included, remember to peel off the labels beforehand.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hersheys the next time your feeling bad I will meet you in dublin any evening. I could be an internet weirdo though so use your own judgement :P a drink and a chat no problem. you can say anything to me and I won't judge.

Hope ye feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Hersheys the next time your feeling bad I will meet you in dublin any evening. I could be an internet weirdo though so use your own judgement :P a drink and a chat no problem. you can say anything to me and I won't judge.

Hope ye feel better.
    Do I have to call you jimmy or will you give me your real name? :P :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Really hate weekends, and this long weekend crap is even worse

Hersheys wrote: »
    Do I have to call you jimmy or will you give me your real name? :P :)

Thanks.

Call me Chris :P I have to make a disclaimer, if it happens to be a night my skin is really bad (like tonight) that would be the only thing that would stop me.
    titan18 wrote: »
    Really hate weekends, and this long weekend crap is even worse

I know the feelin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's not all prescription meds. Buy paracetamol and neurofen in bulk up north, have leftover meds from changeover of meds & stuff. I don't want to bring them to the pharmacist. They'll judge.

I just feel really crappy tonight & I think my friends have all reached boiling point where they no longer care so I am 100% alone. I just want to talk to someone. Not on the phone though, in real life. A conversation where I can be open. It's been so long since I saw my counsellor & nothing coming up soon.

I've gone to pharmacies with literally a grocery bag full of med boxes from left overs, out of date stuff and whatnot. The only thing that was ever said to me was the light suggestion that I empty my presses more often! (I'd say this joke was made because they knew me fairly well and had chatted to me a fair bit) It was my usual pharmacy at the time though and the staff were very nice about all of it.

I really should do it again, I have somewhere between 4-6 different drugs at various dosage sizes that I'm no longer on in my medicine press.

nesf wrote: »

I've gone to pharmacies with literally a grocery bag full of med boxes from left overs, out of date stuff and whatnot. The only thing that was ever said to me was the light suggestion that I empty my presses more often! (I'd say this joke was made because they knew me fairly well and had chatted to me a fair bit) It was my usual pharmacy at the time though and the staff were very nice about all of it.

I really should do it again, I have somewhere between 4-6 different drugs at various dosage sizes that I'm no longer on in my medicine press.
    I should do it. Maybe one of those days when the world seems right & I don't need the meds as back up.

I should do it. Maybe one of those days when the world seems right & I don't need the meds as back up.
    Why would you need them as backup?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Hey,
    Ive been in the "system" and through a lot of things by myself. Ive only found this thread now. Gis a shout if i can help. Or PM me!

Esel wrote: »

Hey,

for me Meds are a back up. A security. A reassurance. A safety net. A vital part of rehabilitation and the ability of getting better.

Backup gives me security. Know anyways. I suppose it depends where you are at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

krieture wrote: »
    Hey,

for me Meds are a back up. A security. A reassurance. A safety net. A vital part of rehabilitation and the ability of getting better.

Of course when the medication is needed, thats completely understandable.

But in terms of extra medication lying around, I don't see the need. A stockpile of unneeded medication is a risk for a depressed person in a particularly low state of mind.

If you aren't prescribed to be on the drugs there is no point in having them around. Prescriptions are changed by the doctor and can then be updated at the pharmacy. Having a stockpile of old medication that you used to be on can be a danger.

Well in terms of extra medication lying around, I don't see the need. A stockpile of unneeded medication is a risk for a depressed person in a particularly low state of mind.

If you aren't prescribed to be on the drugs there is no point in having them around. Prescriptions are changed by the doctor and can then be updated at the pharmacy. Having a stockpile of old medication that you used to be on can be a danger.

Thats true. I didnt mean to say that one should self medicate on left over prescriptions or that you should abuse them.

Only that you should take them as prescribed.

I know medication is only one route, followed by psycho-theraphy. It is a 2 thronged approach at the end of the day. There is no such thing as a miracle pill, especially in mental health.

Im new to this thread and im glad ive found it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 arbitrary constant

I just got a huge wave of sadness, out of absolutely nowhere. Nothing triggered it, it just happened.
    I made plans earlier for the week ahead to try and put me in the right frame of mind...........now it all seems completely futile. :( A couple of hours ago I was confident about being able to fix things in the coming months, right now it feels like things will never EVER work out no matter how hard I try, and I'm struggling to remember why I was ever even the slightest bit optimistic.

I'm gonna log off now but I'm probably not gonna be able to sleep tonight.

krieture wrote: »
    Hey,

We were talking about the stockpile of non-prescription meds that Hersheys has.

Not your ornery onager

I just got a huge wave of sadness, out of absolutely nowhere. Nothing triggered it, it just happened.
    If you think back on it, you will find that it was triggered by a thought. Maybe a thought about something that is worrying you, like home/family, work, relationship, money etc.

A good technique to stop the downward spiral is that once you notice it, stop immediately and try to remember what you were thinking just before the sad feeling. A Eureka moment usually follows - "Ah, that's what caused it!" Then, as quick as it came, the sad feeling is gone.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    My old gp used to consult over the phone if I needed & tell me what to take so it was helpful having a few extra of everything if he told me to up the dose for a few days. I've been on a few different meds over the year so have a few sticks but they're mostly gone & I'd never take them, particularly as I'm under the care of a new psych & changing meds. Also I'm on weekly dispensed meds & travel a bit with work so may be a day late getting to the pharmacy. Helpful to have a few spares in that case.

The main thing I have is for another health problem that I have been given permission to self medicate for - by my consultant. So I've a few diff anti nausea / pain meds depending on what my needs are on a day to day basis. It's not something my gp is comfortable dealing with and I only see my consultant every 2 months so can't make an "emergency" appt. In the meantime anyway he only has clinics every 2 weeks so aside from presenting to a&e the flare up will hopefully be over before I'd get an appointment.

I tend to also have anti inflammatories for sports injuries (a team mate is a doc, I'd only ever take them if she said to), cold/flu meds (I keep sudafed if I buy it, too expensive to buy & throw away), travel sickness meds (I travel on boats. With children) & as I previously mentioned pain meds that I buy I trips up north as they're cheaper. Also anti histamines for allergies.

They're just general medical cupboard things really.

The only thing I have loads of is Valium & I ain't chucking that away. It's like a security blanket. Which is silly I know.

Had a rough night, no more bad thoughts. They are only fleeting & I know deep down I'd never do anything about it. After meeting with my new psych, although it didnt go as well as planned, it gave me reassurance. I'm not bad, I've just had a lot of **** happen to me from a young age & my coping skills weren't developed enough. It's not my fault, well not in that sense.

Look at me being all rational ;)

I should save this post for the future when I do think I'm bad. The next week will be tough - I'm on my lowest dose of meds for a year and a half so I've no idea how I'm going to react. That time I stopped my meds was horrific; hopefully the tapering off will help this time.

On an aside, has anyone completely come off meds / been changing meds & not gone back on the new dose? I'm wondering if I need to be on them & I will be well & truely hooked on the new ones before my next psych appt comes around.

Sorry for the long post :)

I hope everybody is safe and well & enjoys the day of being Irish without too many bad thoughts.

A couple of hours ago I was confident about being able to fix things in the coming months, right now it feels like things will never EVER work out no matter how hard I try, and I'm struggling to remember why I was ever even the slightest bit optimistic.

I'm gonna log off now but I'm probably not gonna be able to sleep tonight.

This happens to me a lot of the time and it is hard to take each time. But try not to be too disheartened, I think that you feel able to fix things again and when that time comes you might be able to keep the feeling going.

Stay strong!

My old gp used to consult over the phone if I needed & tell me what to take so it was helpful having a few extra of everything if he told me to up the dose for a few days. I've been on a few different meds over the year so have a few sticks but they're mostly gone & I'd never take them, particularly as I'm under the care of a new psych & changing meds. Also I'm on weekly dispensed meds & travel a bit with work so may be a day late getting to the pharmacy. Helpful to have a few spares in that case.

The main thing I have is for another health problem that I have been given permission to self medicate for - by my consultant. So I've a few diff anti nausea / pain meds depending on what my needs are on a day to day basis. It's not something my gp is comfortable dealing with and I only see my consultant every 2 months so can't make an "emergency" appt. In the meantime anyway he only has clinics every 2 weeks so aside from presenting to a&e the flare up will hopefully be over before I'd get an appointment.

I tend to also have anti inflammatories for sports injuries (a team mate is a doc, I'd only ever take them if she said to), cold/flu meds (I keep sudafed if I buy it, too expensive to buy & throw away), travel sickness meds (I travel on boats. With children) & as I previously mentioned pain meds that I buy I trips up north as they're cheaper. Also anti histamines for allergies.

They're just general medical cupboard things really.

The only thing I have loads of is Valium & I ain't chucking that away. It's like a security blanket. Which is silly I know.

Had a rough night, no more bad thoughts. They are only fleeting & I know deep down I'd never do anything about it. After meeting with my new psych, although it didnt go as well as planned, it gave me reassurance. I'm not bad, I've just had a lot of **** happen to me from a young age & my coping skills weren't developed enough. It's not my fault, well not in that sense.

Look at me being all rational ;)

I should save this post for the future when I do think I'm bad. The next week will be tough - I'm on my lowest dose of meds for a year and a half so I've no idea how I'm going to react. That time I stopped my meds was horrific; hopefully the tapering off will help this time.

On an aside, has anyone completely come off meds / been changing meds & not gone back on the new dose? I'm wondering if I need to be on them & I will be well & truely hooked on the new ones before my next psych appt comes around.

Sorry for the long post :)

I hope everybody is safe and well & enjoys the day of being Irish without too many bad thoughts.

Hereshey's glad you got to meet with the psych, I remember it used to just wake me up a bit whenever I saw the psychiatrist even if nothing really changed or not much was resolved. The only thing I'll say is again, just try to be comfortable in your body because I find when I slow my body down and appreciate how its working my mind usually follows suit, I have to snap myself out of the over-active thinking and try and just be.

Happy St. Patty's day to everyone :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

On a downer, scattered my friend's ashes Friday evening. It's sticking with me or casting a shadow or something i can't quite explain. And a nightshift tonight to make matters worse. Will stew for the night on my own. I forsee a lot of coffee and smoking. :(

Hope some people are enjoying sunday though.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Also on a downer and feeling very anxious over nothing...supposed to go to a party later..will probably ruin the night for me... Hopefully tossing the coin(getting happy or sad/dreadful) with Alchohol will work out haha.

We'll get through this **** Grem!

Edit- Dad making things worse as usual, need a job and need to move out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I was doing so well for the last few weeks/months then the drink comes along, stupid ****ing paddys day/wwekend :( now i'm back what it feels like to square one.

Agghhhhhhhh i hate drink.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I was doing so well for the last few weeks/months then the drink comes along, stupid ****ing paddys day/wwekend :( now i'm back what it feels like to square one.

Agghhhhhhhh i hate drink.

Hopefully effects will be temporary for you... I still drink a good bit. Will be goin for a few later. Sod it, i'll learn yet...

Hopefully effects will be temporary for you... I still drink a good bit. Will be goin for a few later. Sod it, i'll learn yet...

Honestly as easy as it is to say, JUST DONT, its the biggest load of bollox that makes you happy for 10 mins, (you think) but i'm sure you know that, after that it just hits you like BOOM!!!!! And your back under your rock, i have no will power but i'm so pissed off at myself after all my hard work i just ruined it.

I like my pints, though i'm sure i should drink a bit less, but at the moment there's no effects on any area of my life so once i don't lose control i'll plough on as i am.. It's a bit like different medications working or not working for different people - alcohol seriously messes some people up..

I like my pints, though i'm sure i should drink a bit less, but at the moment there's no effects on any area of my life so once i don't lose control i'll plough on as i am.. It's a bit like different medications working or not working for different people - alcohol seriously messes some people up..

yeah me haha :P

How are you feeling now? I fell asleep, had been on nightshift - should have said, sorry. :o

Same thing that happened me last weekend happened again today; I had made out a list of very small, achievable goals to get done today.....and instead I spent the entire day in bed. :( Missed lectures, missed group project work, missed starting that assignment that's due Friday.....the entire day just gone. And because I was in bed all day I'm probably not gonna be able to sleep tonight. Only thing I can think to do to try and fix that is have a drink; I know it's not a healthy solution but it's not like I'm desperate to get drunk or anything, I just want something to make me a bit sleepy. And, as stupid as it sounds, it has worked before.

I really hope I'm able to get up tomorrow. :(

Same thing that happened me last weekend happened again today; I had made out a list of very small, achievable goals to get done today.....and instead I spent the entire day in bed. :( Missed lectures, missed group project work, missed starting that assignment that's due Friday.....the entire day just gone. And because I was in bed all day I'm probably not gonna be able to sleep tonight. Only thing I can think to do to try and fix that is have a drink; I know it's not a healthy solution but it's not like I'm desperate to get drunk or anything, I just want something to make me a bit sleepy. And, as stupid as it sounds, it has worked before.

I really hope I'm able to get up tomorrow. :(
    Please don't turn to drink :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I'm either coming to the end of this depressive episode or i've become manic. Everything seems clear. I've bundles and bundles of energy. Making loads of life changing decisions. Planning the future.

This happy positive attitude seems to have happened overnight. Its like someone turned a switch. I've already been for 2 walks today wouldnt leave the house last week. I've cleared out the whole house of unused things and cleaned the windows!!! still not tired.

• Advertisement

Please don't turn to drink :(

If it was a regular thing I'd be wary but right now it's all I can think of that'll make me a bit sleepy. This isn't about needing to get drunk or anything, just clutching at straws for anything that has even a chance at working to make me a little tired. It's so important that I'm able to get up tomorrow; if I don't, I may as well never bother getting up again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement