Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Southern" Ireland... do you mean 'Ireland'?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I hate when people refer to all the dublin even number postcodes as the southside. why cant people just say im from south dublin?

Who cares anyway, in a few years we'll be all speaking chinese! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

faceman wrote:
    I hate when people refer to all the dublin even number postcodes as the southside. why cant people just say im from south dublin?

You and Atlas share the woes of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I have lived and worked in the UK for 3 years

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    You obviously don't have a lot of time for the 'Brits'.

So why do you live and work there??????

If you don't like it know where the f**king airport is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

I don't live in the UK anymore, I live in eastern Ireland. Where in my post did I say I hated the UK? :confused: had the best time of my life there TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

faceman wrote:
    Um, Chapelizod is on the northside (Dublin 8).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I don't live in the UK anymore, I live in eastern Ireland. Where in my post did I say I hated the UK? :confused: had the best time of my life there TBH.

To me
    'I have lived...' implies I am currently living in....

'I lived...' implies I used to live in but don't anymore.

You said 'I have lived...'

If I misinterpreted that, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>I had the honour of reading some history books, British curriculum history books no less.. still used in England today....

I see that the original poster use the word "England" when he meant "United Kingdom" or "Britain"

This illustrates that anyone will just use the word they are used to saying.

Like people say "America" when they mean "USA", maybe this annoys people in Canada.

I know many British people who say I live "Southern Ireland", they are so used to hearing "Northern Ireland" they just thought they logically came up with the name. It's not a political statement just a logical one.

as for the use of "Eire" by British people I blame an post, for years the stamps on our letters abroad have read "Eire", and note the name of the species of bird is in English, so its not as if a stamp is an Irish language document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

I am Irish.
    That's right!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

faceman wrote:

This is true - in any case, there are a lot of geographically southside areas that are enthically "northside" in that they are populated with skangers with horrible accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

'the most northerly part of Ireland is in 'Southern' Ireland not 'Northern' Ireland

usually stumps most people that use the phrase 'Southern' Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I hate the name "Southern Ireland", saying Im from "Southern Ireland" implies Im "Southern Irish". The name of this state is Ireland, whys that so difficult to grasp for some people :rolleyes: I have a couple of English friends that I chat to alot on MSN and from them I generally believe British people arnt to knowledgable about Ireland. Best example, they know I live in Dublin, so one day we were talking about the price of something and

I said '2000 euros'

they replied 'oh I thought they used pounds in northern ireland'

i said 'yes they do'

they said 'oh ok, so is Dublin some special area of northern ireland that uses euros instead of pounds' :rolleyes:

I had to tell them 3 times Dublin wasnt in NI and ended up giving them a link to a map to prove it.

Another thing that grates me is referring to NI as Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Anytime the BBC are talking about Ireland, they call it the "Irish Republic". Anyone know where they pulled that one out of?
    Flex wrote:
    Another thing that grates me is referring to NI as Ulster.

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

vector wrote:
    as for the use of "Eire" by British people I blame an post, for years the stamps on our letters abroad have read "Eire", and note the name of the species of bird is in English, so its not as if a stamp is an Irish language document.

Irish Stamps are tri-lingual, Irish is the first language, then English, then Latin.

Country name (ÉIRE) - Irish only
    Amount (48c) - multilingual / self-explanatory
    Bird species - tri-lingual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 oblian

someone from donegal said they goin to uni in derry (magee?) i am in magee and from Dublin and there have been a few times when someone said somethin on this topic to annoy me

but on the whole 6 county ulster thing when i was in school we were taught a little trick to remember the counties in ulster

FATDAD

fermanagh,antrim,tyrone,derry,armagh and down

it seems its not just the english who have to "un-learn" some of their school teachings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think, thb the British know when they see the Euro coins they are not in the UK. They are hardly that stupid:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Its silly arguments that can get out of hand, if northern ireland is northern ireland well then obviously the Republic is southern Ireland, has nothing to do with politics or irish vs english, its just simple geography.

True it gets on more nervous but no more then the bbc calling ken doherty, ken docherty, now that p***es me off, had a fight with a bloke on a snooker discussion board on the pronouniation of it which was also my Grandfather's name!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Peteee wrote:
    Thats because Ireland is part of the British Isles

Its a geographical not a political statement.
    Untrue

The only legal term recognised by both the UK and Irish governments when referring to the Archipeligo is 'these Islands.' There are many precedents for geographical terms (e.g. Benelux, Central Europe, North America etc.) being legally and politically recognised - the 'British Isles' is not one of them. The term is not used in legislation in either jurisdiction.

The term 'British' Isles is not purely geographic no matter how hard one may attempt to protest that it is - it has geo-political implications. Ireland is NOT a British Isle, however, it is a part of the same archipeligo as Great Britain. The term 'British' Isles is unacceptable when referring to Ireland under any circumstances; whether they be purely geographic, political, legal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

ApeXaviour wrote:
    The term 'British' Isles is not purely geographic no matter how hard one may attempt to protest that it is - it has geo-political implications. Ireland is NOT a British Isle, however, it is a part of the same archipeligo as Great Britain. The term 'British' Isles is unacceptable when referring to Ireland under any circumstances; whether they be purely geographic, political, legal etc

Agree with that completely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Untrue

The only legal term recognised by both the UK and Irish governments when referring to the Archipeligo is 'these Islands.' There are many precedents for geographical terms (e.g. Benelux, Central Europe, North America etc.) being legally and politically recognised - the 'British Isles' is not one of them. The term is not used in legislation in either jurisdiction.

I always found the term BI as more antagonistic. Id never use the term myself:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

dbnavan wrote:
    Its silly arguments that can get out of hand, if northern ireland is northern ireland well then obviously the Republic is southern Ireland, has nothing to do with politics or irish vs english, its just simple geography.

Actually it's not. The northern most part of the island is in Donegal - in the Republic.

'Northern Ireland' is the name of the 6 county state but the name of the 26 county state is not 'Southern Ireland' so I would regard it as an insult to refer to the 26 counties as Southern Ireland.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I have been living outside of London (inside of the M25 so still technically London :rolleyes: ) for the last year and the southern Ireland comment is quite common - I generally just say no, I’m from the Republic.

The best comment I heard was when trying to open a bank account. They need to do a credit check or something but because I was from "southern Ireland" they could not track my previous details. After a few minutes of confusion the person on the counter goes

"Oh, that’s right we don’t own you anymore" :eek:

The sheer shock value kept me smiling for about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

When i was going for my NI card the guy who was interviewing me said "ireland? sure thats as good as england anyway" to which I replied "well better really"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭redmagic

harney wrote:

OMG!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭redmagic

blu_sonic wrote:
    When i was going for my NI card the guy who was interviewing me said "ireland? sure thats as good as england anyway" to which I replied "well better really"

Nice!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Another term being used a lot these days especially on British TV is "home nations",its used a lot by rugby people but also by soccer people.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Interesting, this thread, southern, eire, british isles whooo, I wonder if all the other colonies of the wonderfull queens land are having this discussing. I don`t think so, its a good job that we are so close to the motherland for them to keep a close check on us. Funny me thinks that a group of people think they can march down past a historic building and think that history dos`nt matter yet I can`t see them organising a bus trip to march across the Zulu plains. Ah be gone with ye I`am Irish and from the land of 32 counties, 4 green fields and proud of all up at the Teddy Bears head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Dub13 wrote:
    Another term being used a lot these days especially on British TV is "home nations",its used a lot by rugby people but also by soccer people.

Yeah and that, in the case of rugby includes us in Ireland due to the way rugby was never a devisive line unlike soccer, and 2 separte teams were never created.

I can understand whay a lot of English people who have no preoblem in supporting Ireland because,
    A.
    Rep. of Ireland are far better than Scotland/Wales/NI
    B.
    Well....most of the team are English anyway.

harney wrote:
    OMFFFFFFFG:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:
    I would have stared off into space in utter shock for a minute after hearing that, not making a sound due to the shock.
    Then I would have walked out in pure disgust....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

In my opinion it all depends on the context, the term "Southern ireland" would be southern quarter of the geographical entity being the "Island of ireland", there isnt a "Southern Ireland" in political terms, theres is just 2 political entities "Northern Ireland" and "The Republic of Ireland" aka "The Free State" (i had to add that in for a bit of controvery)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

djmarkus wrote:
    2 political entities "Northern Ireland" and "The Republic of Ireland".

Officialy it's Northern Ireland and Ireland! Check your passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

If you wer asked where you where from and you answered Ireland, you can guess what the next question would be!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement