Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing Earplugs to Rock and Metal Gigs

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Just back from Metaltown in Gothenburg this weekend. Roughly 60% of the crowd had ear protection of some kind in, and there were attendants all over the place selling plugs. It was refreshing to see so many people treating their hearing with respect (versus the tits at Irish gigs who give you grief for doing so).

In fairness I only started doing it after a certain Machine Head gig that was very disrespectful to my hearing.

I don't find all bands/gigs require them.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I don't find all bands/gigs require them.

True. There were a few bands who got their levels right and plugs weren't required (In Flames and Trivium, for example).

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    True. There were a few bands who got their levels right and plugs weren't required (In Flames and Trivium, for example).

Yeah Kiss was another good example of how it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Just a quick bump of this Thread ..as I have found my answer to a question Etymotic ER20 it is then.

Will be picking up a few pairs for my poor ears ...after the abuse they got at the BORIS gig last night in Whelans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah I really need to sort myself out and get some of these. I have definitely already developed tinnitus to some extent which sucks.

I have loads of those yellow ones lying around the house that I wear when I'm jamming and occasionally at gigs but I can never keep them in during gigs and don't bother.

• Advertisement

I wonder if that applies as much of you are sat all the way at the back.
    Or if its an open air gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I was at a gig last weekend, tiny venue, round 70 people there for the Strypes. Obviously it was going to be loud, but every second the singer was singing, the left ear started vibrating. Really needed the ear plugs there. Was standing in front of the PA at the Darkness too, not one bit of vibration in the ears. Definitely need to pick some up for gigs again in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Started wearing earplugs to pretty much everything since getting the ****e scared out of me after Conan in Fred's a few years ago (hearing was ****ed for a good week or so).

Wouldn't ever go out without my earplugs now tbh, they make a massive difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Sorry to drag this up, but I'm looking into bringin my 11 year old to Deathcrusher and am trying to find these earplugs, any ideas where'd have them around town?

• Advertisement

Do you just wanna get him foam ones, or are you planning on bringing him to more gigs in the future?

The foam ones are cheap and disposable, and you should be able to get them in any chemist's. They won't sound the greatest, but they'll do the job and protect his ears at least some bit.

If ye're going to gigs regularly and care about having good sound quality, I'd really recommend getting a set of musicians earplugs, something along the lines of these http://promusica.ie/vater-musicians-earplugs.html

They're reusable (just keep them clean), more expensive than foam ones, but the difference in sound quality is incredible. I have that particular set, wear them to every gig since I bought them and honestly it was the best 20-ish quid I've ever spent. You should be able to get them in any music shop (one that sells musical instruments, rather than a record shop).

Enjoy, however you decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thanks. I have the orange ones and I'll check for the others. He plays drums a bit so might be owrth getting the otehrs anyway. Danke.

Oh in that case it's well worth it. The hats and crash play havoc with your ears :D !

I use them for rehearsals and stuff myself as well, and it makes a big difference.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I recently picked up a pair myself, haven't had a chance to use them yet but 4 gigs over the next 6 weeks will see them put to the test.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm looking into bringin my 11 year old to Deathcrusher
    He plays drums

You sound like an awesome dad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Bringing the wee lad (8yrs) to Megadeth in a couple of weeks.

Picked these ear defenders up for him on Capel Street.

http://www.hearing.ie/KidsEarMuffs.html

Was at Deathcrusher myself last night, don't use ear plugs, ears are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'd definitely recommend getting earplugs. Particularly for young kids/teens.

I really feel like I've f*cked my own hearing up from gigs over the years. There's a few gigs where I've noticed it being particularly bad after, but over the years I feel like damage does get done.

Metallica in the RDS in 2004 was the start for me I think. I remember pain in my right ear (was near the right side of the stage) and I honestly don't think that ear has ever been the same since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Anyone useing the Etymotic ER20 plugs? Thinking of getting myself a pair for the old lug 'oles, wondering what they're like at a metal gig.

Advertisement