Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pier Fishing on the Southside of Dublin

• 29-03-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Guys

I am new to the website and have found some very interesting topics on here so far !

I am just getting back into fishing, used to do a bit when I was a kid down in wicklow.

Im am from the dun laoghaire of dublin and have popped down to the pier and bullock harbour and colliemoore harbour.

In the last 5 times i have been out I have caught absolutely nothing.

I was using mackerel and worms as bait in dun laoghaire and tried prawns in colliemoore and got nothing.

Alot of the websites seem to suggest using crab as bait or worms.

Just wondering is it too early in the year to catch anything in colliemoore (off the pier) and if not, what is the best bait to be using.

Just getting frustrated going out and not even getting a bite and thinking i am doing something wrong.

I look forward to your replies

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try using Ragworm off Colliemore, it can be a bit tough on your own, try and talk to other anglers at the venues and get their advice, they will be the ones in the know

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I dive around there quite a bit and don't usually see many fish around until late April/early May. Crab should be a good bait there - buckets of them around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

dun laoighaire east pier will start to fish from now on,
    you can fish in close to the wall with rag worm for small species, like blennys, wrasse, pouting, small pollack

fish of the back of the harbour with fish baits for doggies and whiting, and plenty of dabs, its very snaggy there so a decent cast is needed and a fast retrieve on the reel as to not get caught on the way in,

try the west pier to, during the summer coming into the evening can be a bit of craic if you float fish inside the harbour facing the coal quay,10 to 20 yards from the wall can produce some decent enough pollock, have had them to 4lb there, plenty of mini species to along the wall, the first elbow out the back is very good for spinning for mackeral, when there in , or cast a sandeel bait or mackeral, for doggies there to and the usual whiting,

the end of the harbour will always throw up something to various baits
    both harbours have plenty of congers to

colliemore harbour can be a dificult one to fish on a big tide, try fish the slacker tides, best baits here seem to be rag,lug for codling,dabs and whiting, mackeral and sandeel are guaranteed to get you dog fish here if you can keep the bait in the run, you will need 5 or 6 ounce grip leads to hold out there,
    in close is snaggy but plenty of wrasse,rockling,and congers on the outside wall

your best of to go out with guys around the area fishing it, or join a local club, you will learn so much more that way

Advertisement