Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title Vs Money

• 05-02-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

which do you find more important....?

I know a few guys who make lots of money even though they dont have a great career title .... Tesco employee, builder, gardener etc

And I know a few guys who dont make much money but have a good career title eg Accountant, Teacher, Nurse etc

It would have to be the title for me..money comes and goes but a title earns you straight up respect

Title vs Money 56 votes

Its all about the money!!!
    0% 0 votes
    Its all about the respect for me!!
    100% 56 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I will be a Doctor one day. And when that day comes I am going to take the absolute piss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Being financially responsible for myself, even if it means being a road sweeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

You know a builder who's still making lots of money :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was born a shelf stacker and I'll die a shelf stacker!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Being financially responsible for myself, even if it means being a road sweeper.

Trigger, is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Trigger, is that you?

No Dave.

No Dave.

The exact answer I was hoping you'd give haha.

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

The exact answer I was hoping you'd give haha.

Didn't have to view the vid either. :) My ole man was big into the show, so I've seen'em all.

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I bought the box set for Christmas. Easily my best purchase in a good while. I've woken the house on many occasions laughing at it at 3/4 in the morning. Sheer class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Love that. It was the one show that my Dad used to roar laughing at (which was unusual for him:rolleyes:). I still catch the repeats everytime it is on when I am flicking.

To answer the OP I would have to go with the work as I had a high paying job and jacked it in to do something with very low wages that I thought I would enjoy doing more (jury is still out on that one).

Can we not have both??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was born a shelf stacker and I'll die a shelf stacker!

I believe the correct title is 'presentation engineer' ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i don't care about the "title" so much as whether the work is fulfilling and/or you're happy doing it
    to a certain degree it's "gime the money", but no money is worth compromising your mental health for example

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The only title i ever worried was whatever title a former boss tried to give me when my pay review time came. He used to try and claim one thing which meant when comparing to the annual reviews done by various groups and showed the pay scales for each title.. I was actually bring overpaid..

However as I used to take great pleasur
    e in pointing out, usually from his own correspondence and my contract, it was something completely different and on a much higher pay scale so it always ended up in me getting a decent payrise as I was meeting all my targets. Still makes me smile :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The job has to pay the bills.

But I think it helps to enjoy it and have an interest in it.

I don't think titles mean much to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I had the permanent ,pensionable, respectable job,good salary 14 years,
    ( flo nightingale wannabe)- and the stress levels were so bad,I'd have cracked up if I'd stayed.

Now?
    I work more hours,for less pay,with no long term security - but you know what?
    I'm happy and I love what I do, and I'm good at it.

It doesn't matter about title or money,once you can enjoy it and switch off when you're not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

Being a good person?

What is this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭cson

Would I rather be Dr cson or cson branson multi billionaire owner of cson enterprises?

I'll let you figure that one out yourself. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

One may have a preference for one or the other, but you cannot maintain either for long. Working in a job you love is great, but only if you can pay the bills with it, after all.

Always choosing 'the money' can backfire even financially. I knew a chap who did a Fas course 14 years ago, at the end of which he was offered to actually teach a similar course at a rate of £300 p.d. He chose this as it was better than a junior developer role which at that stage was anything between £12k and £18k p.a. But after dotcom bubble burst and the teaching dried up he found that he had to start from scratch all over again, while his former classmates were already on £30k to £50k p.a. and in a far better position to find or retain employment.

So within a profession, titles do mean something. If you forego a raise for a better job title, this can mean that your next job will look on you more seriously when you apply, thus resulting in a more senior and better paid role. If your occupation lends itself towards freelancing or contracting, a good strategy is to alternate between title and money; contract for a while and focus on the money, then go back into full time employment and concentrate on padding your CV for your next venture into contracting.

As for titles, in terms of profession, I'll have to say that some of the poorest people I know are barristers. Most earn a pittance. Same goes for many 'CEOs' - during recessions many can't even afford to pay themselves a salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

One may have a preference for one or the other, but you cannot maintain either for long. Working in a job you love is great, but only if you can pay the bills with it, after all.

Always choosing 'the money' can backfire even financially. I knew a chap who did a Fas course 14 years ago, at the end of which he was offered to actually teach a similar course at a rate of £300 p.d. He chose this as it was better than a junior developer role which at that stage was anything between £12k and £18k p.a. But after dotcom bubble burst and the teaching dried up he found that he had to start from scratch all over again, while his former classmates were already on £30k to £50k p.a. and in a far better position to find or retain employment.

So within a profession, titles do mean something. If you forego a raise for a better job title, this can mean that your next job will look on you more seriously when you apply, thus resulting in a more senior and better paid role. If your occupation lends itself towards freelancing or contracting, a good strategy is to alternate between title and money; contract for a while and focus on the money, then go back into full time employment and concentrate on padding your CV for your next venture into contracting.

As for titles, in terms of profession, I'll have to say that some of the poorest people I know are barristers. Most earn a pittance. Same goes for many 'CEOs' - during recessions many can't even afford to pay themselves a salary.

Great post...Money comes and goes but your name is with you forever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Money. Preferably both though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

investment wrote: »
    which do you find more important....?

I know a few guys who make lots of money even though they dont have a great career title .... Tesco employee, builder, gardener etc

And I know a few guys who dont make much money but have a good career title eg Accountant, Teacher, Nurse etc

It would have to be the title for me..money comes and goes but a title earns you straight up respect

are you sure you dont need to do some rearranging there , any tesco employee , builder or gardner i know earns less than any accountant , teacher and nurse i know

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

How the **** would a builder earn lots of money in this day and age?

Do you mind explaining how the hell a tesco employee would earn anything near a teacher would? Its an unskilled position FFS.

What a crock of **** of a thread.

fat__tony wrote: »

Do you mind explaining how the hell a tesco employee would earn anything near a teacher would? Its an unskilled position FFS.

What a crock of **** of a thread.

Bad Saturday? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

fat__tony wrote: »

There are many cases where a Tesco employee or builder could earn a lot of money (although far fewer for the latter in today's market). Additionally a career in such an area can have far more longer term options than one that appears more attractive in the short term.

A friend of mine got a job with Tesco (back when it was Quinsworth) when he finished his degree. We all thought he was mad. Yet, he instantly became a trainee manager and within five years was in a middle management position in their head office. He later left and moved into finance where he works now, for an international investment bank.

Now, he could have found himself in that same bank had he started in finance, but he would have been surrounded by peers with 2.1 and first-class honours degrees and spent the first few years of his career working 80 hour weeks. He took a less travelled road and got there all the same.

Of course, if you go into somewhere like Tesco and stack shelves with no ambition or ability to do else, then you'll never make a lot of money. However, there's money to be made everywhere and in an environment which is not considered 'sexy' in employment terms competition for advancement is far less cut-throat.

If you're lazy, stupid or lack imagination, then it really doesn't matter what job you go into, you'll get nowhere. Otherwise, look at the long term possibilities of a career, rather than the short-term 'sexiness' that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

There are many cases where a Tesco employee or builder could earn a lot of money (although far fewer for the latter in today's market). Additionally a career in such an area can have far more longer term options than one that appears more attractive in the short term.

A friend of mine got a job with Tesco (back when it was Quinsworth) when he finished his degree. We all thought he was mad. Yet, he instantly became a trainee manager and within five years was in a middle management position in their head office. He later left and moved into finance where he works now, for an international investment bank.

Now, he could have found himself in that same bank had he started in finance, but he would have been surrounded by peers with 2.1 and first-class honours degrees and spent the first few years of his career working 80 hour weeks. He took a less travelled road and got there all the same.

Of course, if you go into somewhere like Tesco and stack shelves with no ambition or ability to do else, then you'll never make a lot of money. However, there's money to be made everywhere and in an environment which is not considered 'sexy' in employment terms competition for advancement is far less cut-throat.

If you're lazy, stupid or lack imagination, then it really doesn't matter what job you go into, you'll get nowhere. Otherwise, look at the long term possibilities of a career, rather than the short-term 'sexiness' that comes with it.

Well siad horse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I don't have that much ambition to be more senior in my current "career". It's a job, not a career, for me, and is to pay the bills.

Then again, money doesn't interest me either, so it's just a job to survive on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have a job and a career. The job aint glamorous and is the very definition of 'dead end job' but it pays the bills while I work on my career (in film) which has the potential to be a big earner for me in the future but has very limited earning potential in the short term. A fine balancing act if you will. Still, I'd rather work for my few quid a week than get social welfare and be an 'artist' like so many do. I'll do that in my spare time.

Advertisement