Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

foxy06 wrote: »
    Bit concerned over a hotel I have booked for myself hubby and 2 kids. Has anyone stayed in this area or know what the hotel is like? I only realised after making the booking that it is quite a rough area from what I have been told. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

http://www.cityhotellondon.co.uk/

The hotel looks nice but from some of the reviews on trip advisor I might be in for a horrible stay!

Just back form this weekend and I had no reason to worry. Hotel was grand no noise at all from nightclub or street as was mentioned on trip advisor and the hotel was very close to tube and not far from everything. Had a great trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

London City is very easy (As I have just found out) but I still prefer Heathrow.

One thing i would advise, check tain times and opt for the Heathrow Connect into Paddington rather than the Express. It takes five minutes longer but is about a third of the price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

MrMiyagi wrote: »
    Where is the best / cheapest place to store your luggage in central London for less than 24 hours?

http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/ operate facilities in many of a the larger rail stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Last Sunday Ryanair had 2 desks open for about 6 flights. The queue stretched for miles. We were stood there for well over an hour and only moved about 2 metres. The queue must have been a good 150-200m long, so you can imagine how long it was going to take. Eventually BAA/Ryanair opened up another desk for the Dublin flight

That queue is completely down to the airline and handling agent, BAA doesent come into the equation. The aer lingus check in is in a separate area downstairs and is a much more civil expierience, however as others have said, the huge charter flight operation in the summer makes security a pain. Outside of the summer Gatwick would be my usual 2nd choice after Heathrow. Gatwick is still miles ahead of Stansted or Luton.

For the moment at least Heathrow T1 is pretty much hassle free with almost all BA flights gone to T5, last time i passed through around 5PM and security had no queue at all.

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    For the moment at least Heathrow T1 is pretty much hassle free with almost all BA flights gone to T5, last time i passed through around 5PM and security had no queue at all.

T1 is starting to get busier, but there it still takes about five minutes to clear boarding pass control and passenger screening and that is without all the lanes open. Most of the Star Alliance is now in T1 as they prepare to demolish T2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    That queue is completely down to the airline and handling agent, BAA doesent come into the equation. The aer lingus check in is in a separate area downstairs and is a much more civil expierience, however as others have said, the huge charter flight operation in the summer makes security a pain. Outside of the summer Gatwick would be my usual 2nd choice after Heathrow. Gatwick is still miles ahead of Stansted or Luton.

In this case BAA badged staff were organising the queue since there were no Ryanair staff on the ground. I can only presume that BAA get a little annoyed when some airlines don't man their desks correctly and start clogging up other airlines desks and merging into the back of the security queue.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    In this case BAA badged staff were organising the queue since there were no Ryanair staff on the ground. I can only presume that BAA get a little annoyed when some airlines don't man their desks correctly and start clogging up other airlines desks and merging into the back of the security queue.

z

that is what puts me off Gatwick, it seems to get clogged up very easily. sometimes its like a bloody rugby scrum trying to get from the train to the queue for the screening area, which is another rugby scrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

zagmund wrote: »

z

Ryanair have no staff directly employed with the company at LGW, all ground handling is outsourced so it is as you say, BAA staff trying to rescue the situation as best they can.

Next time we go back we're going to London City - City Jet have reduced their prices big time from what I can see.

They are a great little airline to fly with, still with 20kgs free baggage, free onboard bar and a minimum check in time at London city of 15min (20min with hold baggage) and if you factor in the free baggage and not having to pay for a Stansted/Heathrow/Gatwick express etc there fares can become very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

For a number of reasons I am getting a Eurostar to/from the UK to Paris shortly and I am trying to work out the best airport connections in London.

The train is an essential part, so saying "fly straight from Dublin to Paris" isn't going to help here.

Initially I was going to fly to Heathrow, get the train to Paddington and then either a taxi or tube along the road (Euston Road ?) to St. Pancras, although I now see that you can get trians direct from Gatwick & Luton (well Luton Parkway anyway) to St. Pancras.

But then I started thinking about the options of getting off at Ebbsfleet or Ashford and linking directly to whichever airport from there. I can't find any information on usefull links from these stations to the London Airports - does anyone know if there are such links ?

z

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yeah i got the train direct from luton to pancras, costs like £10 one way on the day, its a 30 minute journey and there will be a free bus outside luton parkway to take you to the airport (about 2 mins drive)

tube from pancras to liverpool street and then stansted express from there will cost about £16

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You'll be flying from Ireland?

Which UK airport would be the easiest for the Ireland-> UK trip?

I really doubt here are any links from Ashford to the London airports besides flying from Lydd Airport.

I'm not sure there is a direct train from Gatwick at the moment because the thameslink is suspended, but there is from Luton Parkway.

It is easy to get there from any of the airports to be honest, Stansted trains go into Liverpool St which is only a few stops on the circle/hammersmith and Metropolitan lines but is a longer train journey.

i would go by flight times and cost personally and work it from there.

Getting to Ashford would involve going into London and back out again so it would take longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Headed to London soon, Midweek with Wife and 2 kids.
    Would like to maybe stay in a swish apt in central london.........anyone got any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihadu

i'm bringing my gf to London at the end of august and searched expedia.com for hotels only to find it costs E350+ per night. i'm not looking for anything too plush, a nice 3-4star would suit fine.

any suggestions or weblinks? my budget is E100 per night but don't wish to stay in a hostel (too old for that now)

You could chance Priceline.com

You should be able to get a 4* or 5* hotel for less than €100 (for example I got Grosvenor House, 5* in Mayfair for €95)

Take a look at the calendar here and ether your dates choosing 'other countries' as your destination and it'll give you results of what other people have paid for their London hotels via Priceline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihadu

Ponster wrote: »

You should be able to get a 4* or 5* hotel for less than €100 (for example I got Grosvenor House, 5* in Mayfair for €95)

Take a look at the calendar here and ether your dates choosing 'other countries' as your destination and it'll give you results of what other people have paid for their London hotels via Priceline.

thats exactly what i was looking for, thanks for taking the time to reply.
    i'll let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ihadu wrote: »
    i'm bringing my gf to London at the end of august and searched expedia.com for hotels only to find it costs E350+ per night. i'm not looking for anything too plush, a nice 3-4star would suit fine.

any suggestions or weblinks? my budget is E100 per night but don't wish to stay in a hostel (too old for that now)

Some of the cheapest rates are available direct from hotels websites.

See my earlier post in this thread, post no.93.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055517217&page=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭flycruise

Going to London myself in October and staying in My Hotel Bloomsbury, google it, great location and great rate. 2 ppl, 3 nights - works out at €66 pp per night. Booked with the hotel online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭poochie2009

hey all,
    myself and my other half are heading to london for the weekend..my knowledge of london is bad but i would like to stay in the city center. Has anyone a recommendation of any hotel in the area ??im curently looking online and there is so many!:confused:

hey all,
    myself and my other half are heading to london for the weekend..my knowledge of london is bad but i would like to stay in the city center. Has anyone a recommendation of any hotel in the area ??im curently looking online and there is so many!:confused:

london doesn't have a city centre as such, not in the sense that dublin or Galway do for example.

Your best bet would be to decide what it is you want to do, plan what tubes lines you need to be near and get a hotel convenient for them.

you will probably spend most of your time in the west end, so somewhere around WC2 is probably best. I believe OPENROAD has a good suggestion for that is handy for that area (SW7 is very easy for the west end)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Ponster wrote: »

Hi

I'm heading to London at the end of the month and that hotel looks ideal. I've had a look on betterbidding and people have got it for $135 per night which sounds good to me.

How should I go about trying to get this rate on priceline? Just put in Mayfair and $135? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks

nialldinho wrote: »
    How should I go about trying to get this rate on priceline? Just put in Mayfair and $135?

Nope. Worst case is you don't get it and you have to wait 24 hours to rebid with a higher price (or straight away with an extra location).

Bid 145 just in case if you don't want to take the risk. It'll still be a steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Hi! I'm looking for a (very much) budget hotel/hostel near Russell Square/Euston/UCL campus (that area) for next week. I'm starting studying in UCL in September and going over next week to look for accommodation. As that's where I'll be based for college, I'd like to stay there next week so that I can properly gauge distances to properties I'm viewing. As I'm a student, the cheaper the better; basic no-frills accommodation is fine - just someplace to sleep at night. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mairsmi

Hi! I'm looking for a (very much) budget hotel/hostel near Russell Square/Euston/UCL campus (that area) for next week. I'm starting studying in UCL in September and going over next week to look for accommodation. As that's where I'll be based for college, I'd like to stay there next week so that I can properly gauge distances to properties I'm viewing. As I'm a student, the cheaper the better; basic no-frills accommodation is fine - just someplace to sleep at night. Thanks!

Have a look at
    www.pickwickhall.co.uk
    The Astor Museum Inn
    The clink Hostel

Have fun in UCL. It's in a fab location. Brilliant place to go to college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

hey my 2 friends and i have planned to go to london in november and stay a night or two...

we have picked a hotel close to oxford street which is in a great location....

we would like to know if there are any night clubs or discos around there that we could go to 2 of us are 19 the other is 18....

thanks for your replies in advance ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Going2London

Can you still purchase tickets for the Gatwick Express on-board Ryanair flights? Or should I pre-book online?

Anybody know how much they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I'm going to london in mid october and am going to go on the london eye.
    I looked up the website and it gave me an option of buying a normal ticket or a fast track ticket - which avoids the queue. normal ticket is 17.50 and fast track is 24.50
    Has anyone any experience of this, is it worth my while paying for fast track or are the queues manageable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dellytots

Me and my husband are traveling to London for 3days at the end of september (thurs-sun)and I need somewhere cheap to stay. We will be flying into Luton airport and have a wedding to go to near the Trafalgar Sq area on the Saturday.So need a hotel near enough to the city itself. Everywere Ive been looking seems fairly expencive about £80-£90 a night being the cheapest for a double bed room. I thought there was a recession on......???
    If anyone could reccomend a hotel it'd be great :) Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Can you still purchase tickets for the Gatwick Express on-board Ryanair flights? Or should I pre-book online?
    Anybody know how much they are?

Ryanair dont sell Gatwick Express tickets. Anyway yu should use Southern railways. Half the price and only about 5 minutes slower to Victoria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

dellytots wrote: »
    Me and my husband are traveling to London for 3days at the end of september (thurs-sun)and I need somewhere cheap to stay. We will be flying into Luton airport and have a wedding to go to near the Trafalgar Sq area on the Saturday.So need a hotel near enough to the city itself. Everywere Ive been looking seems fairly expencive about £80-£90 a night being the cheapest for a double bed room. I thought there was a recession on......???
    If anyone could reccomend a hotel it'd be great :) Thank you

Adria Hotel in Hammersmith is where I stay. Nothing fancy but clean and well located close to Hammersmith station. Not too far from Trafalgar Sq. You will pay top price for hotels close to Trafalgar Square.

Advertisement